- Maybeck is a co-educational, teacher run, independent, college preparatory high school.
- Approximately 120 students are enrolled in grades 9-12. Maybeck High School offers a unique opportunity in the East Bay for students to engage with an academically challenging college-preparatory curriculum in a collaborative rather than competitive environment.
- Maybeck students find creative, intelligent peers who are excited about learning.
- At Maybeck, the students and faculty together are engaged in intense intellectual exploration.
- We respect our students as individuals, encouraging independent thought and trusting them to be responsible for and invested in their own educations.
- In this challenging but safe setting, students are encouraged to take personal and intellectual risks.
- Our graduates leave us as sophisticated thinkers and confident navigators of the world around them.
- Through our small classes, high expectations, academic excellence, and programs outside the school, students prepare for college and acquire the tools to engage actively and creatively in the wider world.
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Mild learning differences|
|Total Students||122 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 43%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||24 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||11 students|
|Number of AP Courses||2 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Calculus Physics|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Mar. 15 / Jul. 15|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$23,000|
|Tuition Notes||Forty percent of students receive some financial aid.|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$10,200|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Trevor Cralle|
|Admissions Associate||Peter Walsworth|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||7 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Black Student Union, Drama, Photography, Plays and Pie, Steel Drums, Student Activities Committee, Student Rock Band Drama, Photography, Plays and Pie, Steel Drums, Black Student Union,
Student Activities Committee,
Student Rock Band,
- Maybeck is a co-educational, teacher run, independent, college preparatory high school. The school year begins with a whole-school camping trip near Yosemite where workshops, projects, discussions, and other activities are combined with cooking, swimming, hiking, photography, and all-school projects. This process of starting school living and learning together, 24 hours a day for six days, kick starts both academics and the supportive community that is essential to Maybeck. Regular classes are held in discussion format with 8 to 15 students in a class. The small classes and staff focused on students' needs results in student success. In the mid-spring, classes are halted for two weeks while students and staff engage in local and travel Special Programs which vary from year to year. Recent local programs included: South Indian Culture, History and Culture of California, Dual-line Kites, Skiing and Snowboarding, Digital Photography, Mime, Steel Drums, International Films, Zine-making, and Bay Area Theater. Travel programs included studying in France, Italy, Spain, India, Vietnam, The Philippines, Japan, El Salvador, Guatemala, Peru, Hawaii, Baja California and New Orleans. A full range of student activities and physical education opportunities are available. Approximately 120 students are enrolled in grades 9-12. Maybeck High School offers a unique opportunity in the East Bay for students to engage with an academically challenging, college-preparatory curriculum in a collaborative rather than competitive environment.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
San FranciscoGrades: 9-12 | 375 students
1563 Page St
San Francisco, CA 94117
BerkeleyGrades: 9-12 | 619 students
1294 Albina Ave
Berkeley, CA 94706
OaklandGrades: 9-12 | 1218 students
9500 Stearns Avenue
Oakland, CA 94605
San FranciscoGrades: 9-12 | 280 students
2901 California St
San Francisco, CA 94115
AlamedaGrades: 9-12 | 423 students
1011 Chestnut Street
Alameda, CA 94501
May 25, 2017
The admissions essay is an important part of your child's admissions profile. Noodle Pros essay expert Kate Fisher offers some valuable tips about writing the admissions essay.
May 25, 2017
When you apply for a position at a private school, you need to use a slightly different approach than you would use if you were applying for a sales job somewhere.
May 25, 2017
Myths, urban legends and just plain misinformation abound concerning private schools. We shed some light on the facts you may not have known.