Maybeck High School
Maybeck is a co-educational, teacher run, independent, college preparatory high school.
Approximately 120 students are enrolled in grades 9-12. Maybeck High School offers a unique opportunity in the East Bay for students to engage with an academically challenging college-preparatory curriculum in a collaborative rather than competitive environment.
Maybeck students find creative, intelligent peers who are excited about learning.
At Maybeck, the students and faculty together are engaged in intense intellectual exploration.
We respect our students as individuals, encouraging independent thought and trusting them to be responsible for and invested in their own educations.
In this challenging but safe setting, students are encouraged to take personal and intellectual risks.
Our graduates leave us as sophisticated thinkers and confident navigators of the world around them.
Through our small classes, high expectations, academic excellence, and programs outside the school, students prepare for college and acquire the tools to engage actively and creatively in the wider world.
- Top Ranked CA School
- Grades: 9-12
- Students: 109 students
- Yearly Tuition: $23,000
- Acceptance rate: 65%
- Average class size: 11 students
- Application Deadline: Mar. 15 / Jul. 15
Learning Difference Programs
Learning Programs Supported
Mild learning differences
Summer School Offered
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 48%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
Average Class Size
Number of AP Courses
List of Courses Offered
Matriculation DataMatric. Data
Classroom Dress Code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
Mar. 15 / Jul. 15
Yearly Tuition Cost
Forty percent of students receive some financial aid.
% on Financial Aid
Average Financial Aid Grant
National avg.: 85%
Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.
Black Student Union, Drama, Photography, Plays and Pie, Steel Drums, Student Activities Committee, Student Rock Band
- Maybeck is a co-educational, teacher run, independent, college preparatory high school. The school year begins with a whole-school camping trip near Yosemite where workshops, projects, discussions, and other activities are combined with cooking, swimming, hiking, photography, and all-school projects. This process of starting school living and learning together, 24 hours a day for six days, kick starts both academics and the supportive community that is essential to Maybeck. Regular classes are held in discussion format with 8 to 15 students in a class. The small classes and staff focused on students' needs results in student success. In the mid-spring, classes are halted for two weeks while students and staff engage in local and travel Special Programs which vary from year to year. Recent local programs included: South Indian Culture, History and Culture of California, Dual-line Kites, Skiing and Snowboarding, Digital Photography, Mime, Steel Drums, International Films, Zine-making, and Bay Area Theater. Travel programs included studying in France, Italy, Spain, India, Vietnam, The Philippines, Japan, El Salvador, Guatemala, Peru, Hawaii, Baja California and New Orleans. A full range of student activities and physical education opportunities are available. Approximately 120 students are enrolled in grades 9-12. Maybeck High School offers a unique opportunity in the East Bay for students to engage with an academically challenging, college-preparatory curriculum in a collaborative rather than competitive environment.
Endorse Maybeck High School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
How Exposed Is Your School?
There's much more to running a small private school than offering great academics and teaching. Be sure to check under the hood regularly to make sure everything keeps running smoothly.
Teen Travel In Uncertain Times
Most adults find traveling more complicated and challenging that it was pre-pandemic. We offer some suggestions for safe teen travel in these uncertain times.
Using Facebook, YouTube and Pinterest to Promote Your School
Social media is an effective marketing tool for your school. Here are some suggestions for using Facebook, YouTube and Pinterest.