Maybeck High School
- Maybeck is a co-educational, teacher run, independent, college preparatory high school.
- Approximately 120 students are enrolled in grades 9-12. Maybeck High School offers a unique opportunity in the East Bay for students to engage with an academically challenging college-preparatory curriculum in a collaborative rather than competitive environment.
- Maybeck students find creative, intelligent peers who are excited about learning.
- At Maybeck, the students and faculty together are engaged in intense intellectual exploration.
- We respect our students as individuals, encouraging independent thought and trusting them to be responsible for and invested in their own educations.
- In this challenging but safe setting, students are encouraged to take personal and intellectual risks.
- Our graduates leave us as sophisticated thinkers and confident navigators of the world around them.
- Through our small classes, high expectations, academic excellence, and programs outside the school, students prepare for college and acquire the tools to engage actively and creatively in the wider world.
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Mild learning differences|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||92 students|
|Student Body Type||n/a|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||11 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||11 students|
|Number of AP Courses||2 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Calculus Physics|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Mar. 15 / Jul. 15|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$23,000|
|Tuition Notes||Forty percent of students receive some financial aid.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$10,200|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Trevor Cralle|
|Admissions Associate||Peter Walsworth|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||7 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Black Student Union, Drama, Photography, Plays and Pie, Steel Drums, Student Activities Committee, Student Rock Band|
- Maybeck is a co-educational, teacher run, independent, college preparatory high school. The school year begins with a whole-school camping trip near Yosemite where workshops, projects, discussions, and other activities are combined with cooking, swimming, hiking, photography, and all-school projects. This process of starting school living and learning together, 24 hours a day for six days, kick starts both academics and the supportive community that is essential to Maybeck. Regular classes are held in discussion format with 8 to 15 students in a class. The small classes and staff focused on students' needs results in student success. In the mid-spring, classes are halted for two weeks while students and staff engage in local and travel Special Programs which vary from year to year. Recent local programs included: South Indian Culture, History and Culture of California, Dual-line Kites, Skiing and Snowboarding, Digital Photography, Mime, Steel Drums, International Films, Zine-making, and Bay Area Theater. Travel programs included studying in France, Italy, Spain, India, Vietnam, The Philippines, Japan, El Salvador, Guatemala, Peru, Hawaii, Baja California and New Orleans. A full range of student activities and physical education opportunities are available. Approximately 120 students are enrolled in grades 9-12. Maybeck High School offers a unique opportunity in the East Bay for students to engage with an academically challenging, college-preparatory curriculum in a collaborative rather than competitive environment.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- San Francisco Grades: 9-12 | 378 students
1563 Page St
San Francisco, CA 94117
(415)626-2919 12.2 9-12
- Alameda Grades: 9-12 | 423 students
1011 Chestnut Street
Alameda, CA 94501
(510)523-1526 6.6 9-12
- Oakland Grades: 9-12 | 365 students
Oakland, CA 94618
(510)652-4364 1.1 9-12
This hub page lists over three dozen articles dealing with issues in high school such as academics and discipline.
Seemingly never-ending school shootings prompted me to find out whether private schools were safer than public schools. Some answers and opinions on the matter here.
We look at ways in which your small to medium-sized private school can use social media to make families past, present, and future aware of your school.