Maybeck High School
- Maybeck is a co-educational, teacher run, independent, college preparatory high school.
- Approximately 120 students are enrolled in grades 9-12. Maybeck High School offers a unique opportunity in the East Bay for students to engage with an academically challenging college-preparatory curriculum in a collaborative rather than competitive environment.
- Maybeck students find creative, intelligent peers who are excited about learning.
- At Maybeck, the students and faculty together are engaged in intense intellectual exploration.
- We respect our students as individuals, encouraging independent thought and trusting them to be responsible for and invested in their own educations.
- In this challenging but safe setting, students are encouraged to take personal and intellectual risks.
- Our graduates leave us as sophisticated thinkers and confident navigators of the world around them.
- Through our small classes, high expectations, academic excellence, and programs outside the school, students prepare for college and acquire the tools to engage actively and creatively in the wider world.
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Mild learning differences|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||92 students|
|Student Body Type||n/a|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||11 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||11 students|
|Number of AP Courses||2 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Calculus Physics|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Mar. 15 / Jul. 15|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$23,000|
|Tuition Notes||Forty percent of students receive some financial aid.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$10,200|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Trevor Cralle|
|Admissions Associate||Peter Walsworth|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||7 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Black Student Union, Drama, Photography, Plays and Pie, Steel Drums, Student Activities Committee, Student Rock Band|
- Maybeck is a co-educational, teacher run, independent, college preparatory high school. The school year begins with a whole-school camping trip near Yosemite where workshops, projects, discussions, and other activities are combined with cooking, swimming, hiking, photography, and all-school projects. This process of starting school living and learning together, 24 hours a day for six days, kick starts both academics and the supportive community that is essential to Maybeck. Regular classes are held in discussion format with 8 to 15 students in a class. The small classes and staff focused on students' needs results in student success. In the mid-spring, classes are halted for two weeks while students and staff engage in local and travel Special Programs which vary from year to year. Recent local programs included: South Indian Culture, History and Culture of California, Dual-line Kites, Skiing and Snowboarding, Digital Photography, Mime, Steel Drums, International Films, Zine-making, and Bay Area Theater. Travel programs included studying in France, Italy, Spain, India, Vietnam, The Philippines, Japan, El Salvador, Guatemala, Peru, Hawaii, Baja California and New Orleans. A full range of student activities and physical education opportunities are available. Approximately 120 students are enrolled in grades 9-12. Maybeck High School offers a unique opportunity in the East Bay for students to engage with an academically challenging, college-preparatory curriculum in a collaborative rather than competitive environment.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- San Francisco Grades: 9-12 | 420 students
1563 Page St
San Francisco, CA 94117
(415)626-2919 12.2 9-12
- Alameda Grades: 9-12 | 423 students
1011 Chestnut Street
Alameda, CA 94501
(510)523-1526 6.6 9-12
- Oakland Grades: 9-12 | 364 students
Oakland, CA 94618
(510)652-4364 1.1 9-12
This article aggregates all the articles I have written about running a small private school. Use it as a handbook and a reminder of things you should look at from time to time.
Ever wish you could pick the brain of A+ students? Well, we did it for you — we spoke with dozens of students and educators to find out their secrets for success.
We take a detailed look at the three popular early childhood methods to help you determine which one best suits your needs and requirements.