Our Buddy program provides collaborative learning and mentoring opportunities, helping our youngest students learn and our oldest students lead.
Our fully-equipped science lab offers our middle school students the opportunity to get hands-on with learning.
Our rigorous curriculum, which includes studying and analyzing Dickens and Shakespeare in 8th grade, prepares our students for any college-prep high school.
- Our nationally-recognized Blue Ribbon School of Excellence gives our students the right foundation for life.
- We work each day to build a community of faith, hope, and love so that each student can learn and grow to be the person God is calling him or her to be. Our rigorous curriculum instills a love of learning in our students, skillfully preparing them to move on to any high school they choose with self-confidence and poise.
- Our exceptional faculty inspire students to become passionate, well-rounded, and highly-principled individuals who know they are loved and have a purpose to serve in our world.
- Students learn not only in the classroom, but through important experiences that Mercy is able to provide. From our Buddy program that pairs middle schoolers with our youngest students, encouraging responsibility and creating role models, to the Helping Hands of Mercy group that cultivates a life-long commitment to service and social awareness, our students learn the foundations of leadership and personal responsibility.
- In addition, we have invested in technology enhancements throughout the school so that all our students have access to tablet devices and interactive whiteboards, which allows our teachers to take content a step further and bring innovation to our already-strong curriculum.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)
Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools (SACS)
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Various - full-time Learning Support Teacher|
|Awards||Blue Ribbon School - Selected in 2010|
|Total Students||214 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 18%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||18 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||12:1
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||21 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
(White polo shirts/navy pants/shorts, Plaid jumpers/skirts)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$2,000|
|Total Sports Offered||7 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cheering, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Track and Field, VolleyballBasketball, Cheering,
Softball, Track and Field,
Our Lady of Mercy School helps students build foundations for a purposeful life through Faith, Academics, and Values.
- loving, faith-based academic community
- weekly school masses with student-led liturgy
- daily prayer
- seasonal prayer and penance services
- Follow and exceed requirements of the North Carolina Core Curriculum and Essential Standards
- Standardized test scores exceed national average, even though we have our students test in October as a diagnostic, instead of May for EOGs.
- Average of 50% of our 4th and 7th graders have qualified for Duke TIP over the past 10 years (score 95th percentile or above on one core test of SAT-10)
- Fine arts curriculum
- Spanish language program for all grades, starting in PreK
- Technology enhancements allow for interaction with content and new ways to learn
- Accredited by AdvancEd and the Diocese of Charlotte
- Monthly and year-long service projects put faith in action
- Buddy program turns older students into mentors for younger students, developing leadership and role modeling skills
- Diverse community, welcoming to students and families of all races, religions, national origins. Over 35% of our students are students of color.
- Full-time learning support
- Before-School care starting at 7:20
- After-School care until 6:00 p.m. (5:30 for PreK)
- Hot Lunch program
- Tuition Assistance available (application deadline March 15)
Profile last updated: 06/05/2015
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Winston SalemGrades: NS-12 | 823 students
5501 Shallowford Road, Lewisville
Winston Salem, NC 27023
Winston SalemGrades: PK-12 | 346 students
429 S Broad St
Winston Salem, NC 27101
Winston SalemGrades: NS-12 | 463 students
3730 University Pkwy
Winston Salem, NC 27106
Winston SalemGrades: PK-8 | 151 students
2415 Silas Creek Pkwy
Winston Salem, NC 27103
Winston SalemGrades: NS-8 | 279 students
333 Springdale Avenue
Winston Salem, NC 27104
We previously had our children at an independent private school and were very disappointed with the level of academics and overall quality of the school and the care it provided. We moved our children to Our Lady of Mercy Catholic School and it was one of the best decisions we've ever made. Our Lady of Mercy has outstanding academics and the teachers are exceptional. The school community is so warm and welcoming and my children absolutely love their school, as do we. It is no surprise that OLM was recognized as a Blue Ribbon School of Excellence. I feel so grateful that my children are able to be in such a fantastic learning environment.
- Posted by Parent - Forest
OLM has been a great blessing to my family. My eldest started off in public school and was in the AG program. I felt that she lacked in her writing skills and wasn't developing the best study habits as she rarely came home with a text book. At OLM she was taught organization, structure and how to study. Grammar was emphasized which was a new subject to her. Her writing improved tremendously and I am thankful to the teachers at OLM for that. The school is academically solid. For parents interested in the athletic side of things. Mercy pride is a serious thing. Children get exposed to team sports earlier than is typical in some school settings. They are also able to participate in the band if they are musically inclined. Every child gets an opportunity to shine and let others see their talents. The teachers have your children's best interest at heart. It is a school filled with love and people who genuinely care about each other. The Mercy community will always be my family. Go Mustangs!!!!!!
- Posted by Parent - Denise Steele
It was an easy decision when we visited Mercy for the first time. We saw something that was missing from other schools, which was the complete package. The education provided goes beyond just books; it speaks to the child as a whole. The schools' principles focus on strengthening core values, nurturing our children and setting a foundation that includes faith, love and responsibility. It was, by far, the best value for the level of education provided.It was, by far, and still is 5 years later, the best value for the level of education provided.
- Posted by Parent - simon
Our Lady of Mercy's academics are second to none but to us, the true sense of family and the warmth which exudes from this school is unlike anything we had ever experienced. Once you walk through the doors of Mercy, you instantly feel as though you are home and the comfort this provides is amazing. This school is far more than just a great school.
- Posted by Parent - kimmi
May 24, 2017
The admissions essay is an important part of your child's admissions profile. Noodle Pros essay expert Kate Fishes offers some valuable tips about writing the admissions essay.
May 15, 2017
Many famous children have attended private schools. Here is a sampling of schools and the famous folk who graced their hallowed halls.
May 11, 2017
As you narrow the field in your private school search process, you will develop a short list of three to five schools which you will evaluate in detail. Visiting each school is an essential part of your due diligence.