- School Type: School with Special Program Emphasis
- Grades: Kindergarten-6
- Students: 100 students
- Yearly Tuition: $11,550
- Acceptance rate: 100%
- Average class size: 15 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
- Source: Verified school update
Academics and Faculty
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
- Early Childhood Center: Our Early Childhood Center in West Davis serves children ages two through six, and is comprised of two programs:Escuelita and Primaria.Escuelita is a developmentally appropriate preschool program for two- to four-year-olds. Children are taught in small groups according to age for part of the day, and mix with others in a cross-age grouping for activities during the rest of the day. They receive daily instruction in Spanish and participate in a variety of projects in art, science, and other subjects. They also have time to play freely, inside and outside, in an environment that encourages social interaction. In addition, children participate in yoga, dance, and music classes delivered by experts. Primaria is a highly enriched, play-based pre-kindergarten/kindergarten program designed for four- to six-year-olds and centers on project-based learning in all subject areas. Children participate in Spanish instruction, thematic projects in all subject areas, and specialist instruction in music, yoga, drama, and dance. They are served a hot, family-style, natural-foods lunch each day, and have physical education every afternoon. Children who need day care beyond the school day can join the younger children in the Escuelita classroom from 2:00 to 6:00 p.m.
- Elementary School: Our elementary school, serving ages kindergarten through eighth grade, launched in the fall of 2011. Building on the experience of Academic Director Lorie Hammond, PhD, who founded two schools previously (the Winters Parent Nursery School and Peregrine Early Childhood Center), and who has been working in education for over forty years as a teacher, curriculum writer, professor and researcher, the elementary school has been founded on tried and true principles. Project-based learning, our central mode of operation, builds on the work of American educational philosopher John Dewey, whose methods have been woven through American schools for about a hundred years. More recently, business leaders such as Daniel Pink (A Whole New Mind and Drive) and psychologists such as Harvard's Howard Garder (Five Minds for the Future and Frames of Mind) have written bestsellers on the need for a twenty-first century educational approach. One school that has applied these theories with great success is the UCLA Laboratory School, whose model of project-based learning combined with information literacy we are now adapting to our science and social studies curricula; we have been similary influenced by the creative schools of Reggio Emilia, Italy, which illustrate the power of the arts in education and of children as active creators of their own learning.
Endorse Peregrine School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards