5.00 (5 reviews)
Tel: (704) 365-4533
Philips Academy is a community of learning unlike any other in Charlotte! Designed specifically for students requiring a life-centered approach to education, our program offers a unique combination of remediation, practical instruction and community-based application.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Private Special Education Centers|
|Grades Offered||Grades 6-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Complex language, learning and/or cognitive disabilities; developmental disabilities; autism spectrum disorders|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||48 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 18%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||12 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||6 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Apr. 7 / Jun. 30 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$21,400|
|Tuition Notes||Payment plans, scholarships and discounts are available. Limited need-based financial aid is available.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$5,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Amy Firth|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||3 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Arts and Music Programs:
Music Therapy with Queens University
Recreational Athletic Programs:
- Philips Academy is a private non-profit school for students in middle and high school with complex language, learning and/or cognitive disabilities. Philips Academy believes that these students thrive when given a purposeful education that prepares them for all of the benefits and responsibilities of adulthood. Our mission is to provide our students with the academic, occupational and social skills needed to be self-reliant, confident and contributing members of their communities.Philips Academy is a community of learning unlike any other in Charlotte! Designed specifically for students requiring a life-centered approach to education, our program offers a unique combination of remediation, practical instruction and community-based application.Following North Carolina Course of Study guidelines, Philips Academy has crafted a distinctive curriculum matching the individual needs of our students. Serving Middle through High School grades, we offer a long-term educational solution for students-not just a temporary accommodation.To fulfill our mission, Philips Academy is dedicated to hiring experienced and certified teachers, developing strong community networks, and instilling confidence and competence through daily experiences.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Charlotte Grades: K-12 | 263 students
8500 Sardis Rd
Charlotte, NC 28270
(704) 365-4658 3.8 K-12
- Charlotte Grades: PK-6 | 27 students
7022 Sardis Road
Charlotte, NC 28270
(704) 366-8260 2.5 PK-6
Our son is THRIVING at Philip's Academy. He is so confident and happy and responsible and mature. He loves school! He loves his teachers and his peers. He has gained immeasurably. This is his third year attending Philip's Academy. It has been a life saver. Our family is so happy to be part of the Philip's Academy community.
- Posted by Parent - Nina W. S.
This school has been terrific. The staff is wonderful with the perfect balance of kindness and authority. The children really care for each other. My child has made so many friends at Philips. The teachers are beyond amazing, they truly love what they do. There is no other place in Charlotte or the surrounding area like Philips, if this school fits your child's disability, please check it out. Our entire family is so glad we did.
- Posted by Parent - leebk
Philips Academy has been a wonderful experience for our family. Our son would not be the young man that he is today if it was not for the support we have received from the staff at Philips Academy. The staff at Philips Academy are very supportive and they show each child special attention depending on their disability. The life skills approach has really helped my son learn many things that will help him succeed in life after attending Philips Academy. I definitely recommend you checking Philips Academy out and consider having your child attend. It is a very positive atmosphere that helps children with Learning Disabilities.
- Posted by Parent - kim
Philips Academy has transformed my son from a discouraged, frustrated student into a positive and enthusiastic person who loves his school, his friends, and his teachers! This school changed our lives!
- Posted by Parent - thega
My daughter went to Philips after attending public school. We are thrilled with the education she is receiving. It is far more appropriate for her educational level and what she will likely use in the future. I love that it is heavy on real, everyday math skills (time and money). I like that there is a large emphasis on vocational awareness, even at an early age. The kids have had special classes in Music Therapy, Golf, Yoga, Art, Theatre, Home Ec and various other areas. They purchase groceries and cook hot lunches forthemselves under the guidance of a teacher twice a month. We are extremely happy that we have found this program!
- Posted by Parent - gohee
Sending your child to a single-sex school is one of several options you have when it comes to private schools.
Each state sets its own teacher certification requirements. While many private schools do not require you to be certified, it is in your best interests to obtain certification. This article includes contact information for state education offices so you can begin the process.
Marketing the small private school can be done affordably and effectively. We suggest five easy steps to make that happen.