Primrose Hill School
Primrose Hill School meets children as unique individuals, providing them with a safe and nurturing environment that feeds the senses and inspires the imagination.
We offer a social experience that engenders compassion and responsibility. We work with the curricular indications of Waldorf education, with an emphasis on engagement with the natural world, our garden and farm animals, and to encourage the curiosity, creative thinking, and confidence that support a lifelong love of learning.
- School Type: School with Special Program Emphasis
- Grades: Prekindergarten-5
- Students: 64 students
- Yearly Tuition: $16,500
- Average class size: 9 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 41%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
Average Class Size
Classroom Dress Code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
None / Rolling
Yearly Tuition Cost
We are committed to being financially accessible. Please see information about Community-Supported Education (CSE) on our website.
- We are currently enrolling students from early childhood (Nursery and Kindergarten) through sixth grade for the 2018-19 school year, adding a grade each year.
- Our 7.5-acre campus in Rhinebeck, NY houses two beautiful newly renovated schoolhouses, friendly farm animals, an expansive vegetable garden, play-yards, and a barn.
- The work of Primrose Hill School is grounded in clear values and principles that guide our approach to educating children. These principles are reflected in all aspects of the curriculum, our relationships with the children and each other, and our commitment to the larger community.
- Commitment to the Whole Child
- Primrose Hill School offers a unique and comprehensive curriculum that includes the arts, language, math and science, music, and farming and agriculture. Each of these components is deliberately and carefully cultivated to respond to the developmental level of the children at each stage of their education. We understand that all children are unique individuals and therefore our approach provides each child the opportunity to learn in a way that reflects his or her capacity to absorb knowledge.
- Commitment to Sustainability and the Natural World
- Primrose Hill School represents a community of people who believe strongly that a nature-based and agrarian education has innumerable benefits for our children. We believe that an education with an agricultural component is essential for our children to understand their larger role in the world. We impart the knowledge that school is a gateway to a wider world that requires an understanding of conservation, land stewardship, our impact on the enviornment, and a respect for cultivating sustainability in all actions.
- Commitment to Ethical Individualism
- We strive to provide tools and guidance to children that will give them the freedom and knowledge to determine their path in life, while also nurturing a moral compass that allows them to perceive what is needed in the world and how to use their abilities toward achieving it. We believe we must cultivate all aspects of a child physical, mental, and spiritual to instill an authentic sense of being and self-understanding that can guide these individuals throughout their lives.
- Commitment to Access
- The type of education that we provide is essential for preparing children for an uncertain future. We believe that all children, regardless of economic status, should have to access this education. Primrose Hill School establishes systems with student families to assure that there are no financial barriers for anyone who seeks this education.
- Commitment to Acceptance
- We are a community that embraces diversity economically, racially, and culturally and we celebrate diversity in order to engender equity, understanding, and acceptance. We strive to ensure that all children feel accepted for who they are, and feel confident to be proud of this identity as they enter and engage the world. We welcome all traditions and cultural celebrations into our classrooms.
As a family, we feel very fortunate to have found Primrose Hill School. The faculty and community of Primrose Hill is inspiring. We are blessed to have such committed teachers holding space for our little ones to thrive. From our very first visit, we could feel the magic of the school, and it has only grown as we continue to get deeper into the community!
Primrose Hill School is an incredible community of teachers and parents working together to make a nature-based Waldorf education accessible to all. Our son attends the Shooting Star nursery program. The children are embraced for who they are and are taught the most important lessons of kindness, empathy, appreciation of nature, the value of real work. Our son's teacher, Ms Pema is a wise soul who truly cares deeply for the well-being of her students.
PHS has been a gift to our family. My daughter is thriving - surrounded by happy kids, wise and profoundly committed teachers, and a beautiful farm campus.
Endorse Primrose Hill School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
With so much uncertainty in the world today and a pandemic further confounding our lives, it's reasonable for parents to want to protect their children whenever and wherever possible? But overprotecting or bubble-wrapping? Well, that's another matter.
Get Your Act Together!
We take a look at the other college admissions test and offer some resources for test preparation.
Why Small Class Sizes Work
You want your child to receive plenty of individual attention. That's one of the reasons most parents send their children to private school.