School Around Us
- Founded in 1970, School Around Us offers a holistic approach to education that nurtures the mind, body, heart and spirit, and encourages involvement in the natural and global worlds.
- The small class size enables teachers to work flexibly with diverse learning styles and cultivate students' individual interests. Students come to SAU from communities throughout southern Maine.
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-8|
|Total Students||27 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||3 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||8 students|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||There are 2 tiers for tuition. Please call for details.|
- School Around Us is very different from public schools in that we are holistic in nature; we focus on the many aspects of a child including academic, social, emotional, and physical skills. Creative expression, theatrical skills, learning through free play and environmental concerns are emphasized and honored in the daily curriculum. With a teacher/student ratio of 1:8, children are able to receive the benefits of individualization and camaraderie with their peers and teachers.
- SAU’s curriculum includes traditional academic subjects as well as "theme" classes where students explore subjects in-depth for up to eight weeks. Creativity and hands-on learning are central to SAU's approach. Students spend a lot of time outdoors; the school is situated on six acres that include pine woods, a brook, trails and access to a pond for swimming and skating. SAU is run by parents, who have significant involvement in the school's operations.
Profile last updated: 09/14/2015
Nearby Private Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
KennebunkGrades: PK-1 | 41 students
35 Heath Rd
Kennebunk, ME 04043
KennebunkGrades: 9-12 | 36 students
38 York St
Kennebunk, ME 04043
BiddefordGrades: K-6 | 51 students
551 Alfred Rd
Biddeford, ME 04005
WellsGrades: 9-12 | 8 students
2700 Post Rd
Wells, ME 04090
BiddefordGrades: PK-8 | 173 students
25 Graham Street
Biddeford, ME 04005
After almost 4 full years at SAU I couldn't be happier with my child's education. His teachers have been outstanding. He has been educated as a whole person, holistically, and having a fabulous time. He's 13, happy, and loves school and I like that.
- Posted by Parent - kimem
We are new to SAU and I can honestly say my son has never been happier at school. Although it's not academically "rigorous" the pressures of public school were too much for him. The curriculum is somewhat traditional (math, reading, writing) but the kids are also given choices in areas like science and history so that they will be interested in what they are learning. There's a lot of play time outside which is great for my son who is very active. There's some access to extra-curriculum activities (eg, guitar lessons, soccer) but not as much as at a larger school. Parents work hard for the school, which can be a challenge but keeps tuition costs down. For us it is well worth it.
- Posted by Parent - 1s2bu
I love that creative expression and developing social and emotional skills are valued just as much as language arts, math and science. I am so grateful for the astonishing teachers!
- Posted by Parent - sally
Both of my children went through this school from grades K-8 and it was a fabulous experience for both! My children are well rounded, responsible, intelligent kids who have a strong voice and desire to learn. They are currently both in High School and are doing great in another local private school, but I am certain they will do well anywhere! The teachers are fabulous at SAU and know the children as people and treat them respectfully and lovingly. Music and art are strong focuses and academics are learned in hands on meaningful ways.
- Posted by Parent - megmu
School Around Us is a wonderful school. My son graduated last year and is doing excellent in high school. I know that SAU contributed to his quest for knowledge, critical thinking skills and solid sense of self. He knows his passions as a learner. Thank you SAU.
- Posted by Parent - xande