5.00 (1 review)
- Seattle Academy (also referred to as SAAS) is a vibrant, innovative and energetic independent school serving 6th through 12th grade students in an urban Capitol Hill campus setting in Seattle, WA.
- Our dynamic educational philosophy of teaching students "how to think" but not "what to think" is delivered through programmatic pillars of Academics, Arts, Athletics, Outdoor & Travel, and Service.
- We, therefore, seek a diversified student body and faculty.
- We offer a demanding college-preparatory curriculum integrating the arts and emphasizing a global perspective.
- We utilize the resources of our urban environment to extend our classrooms, to enhance our programs, and to engage out students in public service.
- Most of all, we seek to graduate motivated young men and women of talent and integrity who are prepared to contribute productively to a changing world.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Northwest Association of Accredited Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades 6-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Dyslexia / Language-based and Mild Learning Differences|
|Total Students||772 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||87 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||18 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15|
|Tuition Notes||Middle School (6-8): $34,236 High School (9-12): $35,364|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Lori Metcalf|
|Admissions Associate||Dawn Fornear|
|Total Sports Offered||13 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Bowling, Cross Country, Dance, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Squash, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, WrestlingBasketball, Bowling,|
Cross Country, Dance,
Tennis, Track and Field,
Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||25 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
3D Printing Club, 4 Corners Diversity Club, Bee Club, Cartoon and Comic Club, Climbing Club, Community Service Organization, Econ-Finance Club, Environmental Club, French Club, Knitting Club, Math Honor Society, Middle Eastern Awareness, Mock Trial, Model UN, Music Production Club, Peer Tutoring, Political Debate Club, Robotics Club, Spanish Club, Speech and Debate, Student Government, The Cardinal Newspaper, Wellness Club, Youth Legislature, Zambia Club
- The philosophy which underlies a Seattle Academy education can be summarized as follows: Since the ability to communicate and express one's thoughts and feelings is an essential skill for a productive life, Seattle Academy conducts learning in a culture of performance. Students are challenged to take risks in front of a variety of audiences, combining disparate skills in moments of action in order to communicate complex ideas. This method of teaching fosters independence and integrity, the ability to collaborate and take risks, and the capacity to cope with change and ambiguity. Education is both timeless and contemporary, and we live today in a world of rapidly expanding technology. Seattle Academy, therefore, infuses technology into all areas of the school's program. Faculty use this complex resource to reshape and refine their courses, and students use technology to stretch their research and communication skills. Finally, the highest purpose of education is character development. The school teaches, and aspires to exemplify, the four core values of trust, respect, integrity, and responsibility.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Seattle Grades: 9-12 | 915 students
8200 Wallingford Ave N
Seattle, WA 98103
(206)527-7711 5.3 9-12
My son entered in 2014 as a HS freshman. SAAS was his top pick of schools to attend. He is definitely a math / science lover and wanted to broaden his experience with art, dance, theater, etc. I have been very impressed with the faculty thus far. The students really support each other to take risks and try things they normally might not do (singing, video, dancing, etc.). It is a very "inclusive" school from what I have seen thus far. I was initially a bit nervous about the urban location but am growing more comfortable with it. I see the wisdom in my son's choice of SAAS and I know he would highly recommend the school to a friend.
- Posted by Parent - tim
You have just heard about a new private school opening soon in your area. Should you consider sending your child there? A look at the pros and cons of such a decision.
If you know the answers to all these questions, you probably teach or work in a private school. Be that as it may, these questions contain links with the answers.
As you evaluate schools, take time to explore fully what the schools which you are looking at teach.