Second Start-Pine Hill School
Quick Stats (2023)
- Top Ranked CA School
- School Type: Special Education School
- Grades: 1-12
- Enrollment: 81 students
- Acceptance rate: 75%
- Average class size: 10 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
- Source: Verified school update
Second Start-Pine Hill School ranks among the top 20% of private schools in California for:
Academics and Faculty
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
- Founded in 1974, SECOND START began offering a tutorial and diagnostic clinic to children with severe disabilities. In 1976, PINE HILL SCHOOL was added to provide a multi-disciplinary, academic and therapeutic program to learning disabled and emotionally troubled children in grades 1-12. Classes for adults were added in July 1988. As our program grew in the early 90's we began to branch out and provide services to at risk kids through our Community Development Department. In 2002 Second Start founded Advent Academy a charter school dedicated to providing Education to High School Student who are in a residential recovery program. In 2003 Second Start launched the Newton Learning Center an educational program specifically tailored for the educational advancement of students with Asperger and/or students on the upper end of the Autism spectrum. In 2007 Second Start founded The Newton Learning Center Reno to take this remarkably effective program to the students in the Reno and Northern Nevada. In 2009 Second Start's Pine Hill School received two high honors: Selection as a School of Excellence by The National Association of Special Education Teachers (NASET) is one of the highest honors a private special education school can achieve through any professional association. The recognition is bestowed on private special education schools that meet rigorous professional criteria and have demonstrated truly exceptional dedication, commitment and achievement in the field of special education. Pine Hill School, a 35-year-old special education non-public school received Peter Batten from Australia's "The Winston Churchill Memorial Trust". Batten, a Churchill Fellow, is tasked with finding the best Autistic programs in the World. After detailed and extensive research for which he received his fellowship, he scheduled an in-person visit to those schools and programs across the globe that he found to be most effective in helping moderate- to high-functioning Autistic children. In December 2012, Second Start Thrift Shop was opened in Sparks, NV to provide work experience for Newton Learning Center students.
Frequently Asked Questions
What schools are Second Start-Pine Hill School often compared to?
Second Start-Pine Hill Schoolis often viewed alongside schools like Skylar Hadden School by visitors of our site.
What is the acceptance rate of Second Start-Pine Hill School?
The acceptance rate of Second Start-Pine Hill School is 75%, which is lower than the national average of 85%. Second Start-Pine Hill School's acceptance rate is ranked among the top private schools in California with low acceptance rates.
What is Second Start-Pine Hill School's ranking?
Second Start-Pine Hill School ranks among the top 20% of private schools in California for: Lowest average acceptance rates.
When is the application deadline for Second Start-Pine Hill School?
The application deadline for Second Start-Pine Hill School is rolling (applications are reviewed as they are received year-round).
Endorse Second Start-Pine Hill School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards