Shady Side Academy Country Day School
Shady Side Academy Country Day School Photo #2 - Shady Side Academy's 17-acre Country Day Campus, located in Fox Chapel, offers a unique learning environment for students. Small classes, a vibrant academic program, teachers who know and care for each child, and an emphasis on the arts together provide a special experience for young learners.
Shady Side Academy Country Day School Photo #3 - Exploring the outdoors is central to the elementary school experience at Shady Side, and all classes take advantage of the campus location. The campus is adjacent to Fox Chapel parkland providing access to trails, streams and the opportunity to explore and observe nature.
Shady Side Academy Country Day School Photo #4 - Our in-school buddy system pairs students in order to interact socially, complete projects together, and enjoy playground time. Older students become mentors to the younger children and help them feel special and cared for as important members of our community.
Shady Side Academy Country Day School Photo #5 - At Country Day School, we believe the responsive classroom approach to teaching and learning fosters safe, challenging, joyful classrooms. It creates a school community in which students feel confident taking risks while growing socially, emotionally and academically.
Shady Side Academy is a nationally respected private school in Pittsburgh for boys and girls in grades pre-kindergarten through 12, with an optional boarding experience in high school.
Four age-specific campuses with extraordinary resources, teachers who actively mentor, a forward-thinking curriculum, a diverse and inclusive community, and a legacy of alumni accomplishments all inspire Shady Side students to high achievement in academics, the arts, and athletics, and to meaningful ambitions in life.
- Top Ranked PA School
- Grades: Nursery/Preschool-5
- Students: 118 students
- Yearly Tuition: $15,500
- Average class size: 15 students
- Application Deadline: Dec. 16 / Jan. 1 / rolling
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Summer School Offered
Summer Program Details
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 25%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
Average Class Size
Number of AP Courses
List of Courses Offered
Average SAT score
Average ACT score
Matriculation DataMatric. Data
Classroom Dress Code
(Common Dress Code)
(Common Dress Code)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
Dec. 16 / Jan. 1 / rolling
Yearly Tuition Cost
Pre-Kindergarten tuition is $15500 for full day and $10950 for half day. Other schedules are available. Kindergarten tuition is $17,950. First Grade is $21,500 and tuition for grades 2 - 5 is $22,500.
% on Financial Aid
Average Financial Aid Grant
Total Sports Offered
Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.
Club or Organization:
After School Adventurers
After School Adventurers
- Shady Side Academy has two elementary school campuses. At the Country Day School, our 17-acre campus in Fox Chapel, we help students develop a foundation that is centered in academics and the arts, where each child may achieve both academic success and personal self-confidence. Each day children get the guidance and reassurance they need to keep exploring. This is a place where children grow, develop, discover - and learn how to keep searching and discovering for a lifetime. Faculty, together with their students, seek new opportunities and challenges outside the textbook and beyond the basic courses. We want teachers to teach students to learn in whatever ways work for them and see each student as an individual. Our second campus, the Junior School, is located in Point Breeze.
Endorse Shady Side Academy Country Day School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
With so much uncertainty in the world today and a pandemic further confounding our lives, it's reasonable for parents to want to protect their children whenever and wherever possible? But overprotecting or bubble-wrapping? Well, that's another matter.
Get Your Act Together!
We take a look at the other college admissions test and offer some resources for test preparation.
Why Small Class Sizes Work
You want your child to receive plenty of individual attention. That's one of the reasons most parents send their children to private school.