Shining Star Waldorf School
- A private Waldorf School offers full and part time enrollment for children 3-14.
- We offer all the arts and music of Waldorf education, healthy education without technology, creative classic academic education, handwork, choir, instruments, gardening, German, Russian, and more.
- Parents and teachers work together to provide rich festival and seasonal rhythm, Fridays outdoors all day in the wilds of the metro area.
Shining Star Waldorf School places among the top 20% of private schools in Oregon for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Waldorf Early Childhood Association of North America|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||116 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 21%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||8 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||15:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(No logos please)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$6,100|
|Tuition Notes||N is $3000, K is $4400, Gr 1-8 $6k including Friday Outdoor Nature Progam|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$1,200|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Julie Perko|
|Total Sports Offered||1 sports|
|Sports||Track and FieldTrack and Field|
- Preschool and K are ages 3-turning 6 years old, play and social based curriculum, stories, crafts, singing, games, imaginative play, seasonal arts and cooking
- Grades 1-8, Gentle imaginative introduction to academics, playful and body-movement oriented, students create their own text books with their own art and writing, heavy emphasis on social responsibility, self management, critical thinking, history and story lessons, play, as the grades increase, academic lessons increase into very complex and advanced subjects by middle school, advanced math and writing but with art embedded into each block. Science, history, culture, philosphy, problem solving, and more included in a rich educational program that moves seamlessly between academics and imagination. Students study in blocks of 3-4 weeks, intensely each day for 2 hours, then change subjects, middle of day and afternoon are filled with subject teachers and special lessons in music, choir, instruments, foreign language, ceramics, handwork like knitting, crocheting, stitching, sewing, doll making, games and sports, eurhythmy, cooking, gardening, crafting, and much more. Students model, draw, paint, sculpt, and use a wide vareity of mediums to convery ideas, thoughts, and concepts. Each year several major plays are produced with student help in writing, song creation, and acting. Our seasonal focus includes Dragonfest in September, Starry Night Lantern Walk in November, Winter Spiral of Lights, Feburary Festival of the Bees, and Merry May Day.
Nearby Private Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Portland Grades: 9-12 | 54 students
1704 Ne 26th Ave
Portland, OR 97212
(503)280-1058 0.3 9-12
- Portland Grades: K-8 | 248 students
3240 Ne 23rd Ave
Portland, OR 97212
(503)288-9197 0.6 K-8
- Portland Grades: 6-12 | 93 students
116 Ne 29th Ave
Portland, OR 97232
(503)234-2826 1 6-12
- Portland Grades: 9-12 | 913 students
2401 Se Stark St
Portland, OR 97214
(503)235-3138 1.2 9-12
What are the attributes which make 21st century military schools so special? We find out in this article.
A parent and I chat about finding the best school for her daughter. While the parent may be fictitious, her questions are quite typical of the kind of questions and concerns parents have when thinking about sending their children to private school.
We look at several ways you can use to search for private schools. Whether you are beginning the search process for a school for your child or just want to find out more about particular schools, we offer some tips and tricks to make searching more efficient.