Shining Star Waldorf School
Tel: (503) 753-4459
- A private Waldorf School offers full and part time enrollment for children 3-14.
- We offer all the arts and music of Waldorf education, healthy education without technology, creative classic academic education, handwork, choir, instruments, gardening, German, Russian, and more.
- Parents and teachers work together to provide rich festival and seasonal rhythm, Fridays outdoors all day in the wilds of the metro area.
Shining Star Waldorf School places among the top 20% of private schools in Oregon for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Waldorf Early Childhood Association of North America|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||116 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||8 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||15:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(No logos please)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$6,100|
|Tuition Notes||N is $3000, K is $4400, Gr 1-8 $6k including Friday Outdoor Nature Progam|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$1,200|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Julie Perko|
|Total Sports Offered||1 sport|
|Sports||Track and FieldTrack and Field|
- Preschool and K are ages 3-turning 6 years old, play and social based curriculum, stories, crafts, singing, games, imaginative play, seasonal arts and cooking
- Grades 1-8, Gentle imaginative introduction to academics, playful and body-movement oriented, students create their own text books with their own art and writing, heavy emphasis on social responsibility, self management, critical thinking, history and story lessons, play, as the grades increase, academic lessons increase into very complex and advanced subjects by middle school, advanced math and writing but with art embedded into each block. Science, history, culture, philosphy, problem solving, and more included in a rich educational program that moves seamlessly between academics and imagination. Students study in blocks of 3-4 weeks, intensely each day for 2 hours, then change subjects, middle of day and afternoon are filled with subject teachers and special lessons in music, choir, instruments, foreign language, ceramics, handwork like knitting, crocheting, stitching, sewing, doll making, games and sports, eurhythmy, cooking, gardening, crafting, and much more. Students model, draw, paint, sculpt, and use a wide vareity of mediums to convery ideas, thoughts, and concepts. Each year several major plays are produced with student help in writing, song creation, and acting. Our seasonal focus includes Dragonfest in September, Starry Night Lantern Walk in November, Winter Spiral of Lights, Feburary Festival of the Bees, and Merry May Day.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Portland Grades: 9-12 | 913 students
2401 Se Stark St
Portland, OR 97214
(503) 235-3138 1.2 9-12
- Portland Grades: 6-8 | 78 students
4925 Ne 9th Ave
Portland, OR 97211
(503) 335-9600 3.7 6-8
- Portland Grades: K-8 | 83 students
5520 NE Killingsworth Street
Portland, OR 97218
(503) 288-6403 2.5 K-8
Whether you are just beginning the process of choosing a private school or several months into it, make sure that you keep these five 'must haves' front and center in your thinking.
Are charter schools private schools? What do vouchers have to do with private schools? Some answers here.
You cannot rank private schools. We explain why.