Shining Star Waldorf School
5.00 (2 reviews)
Shining Star Waldorf School Photo #3 - Every year each class produces an amazing play for the whole school....we love the acting arts!
- We offer traditional Waldorf arts, music, and handwork with a talented and diverse group of dedicated teachers of the highest caliber who care deeply about their work and the children.
- A typical school day includes main lesson, flutes, movement, handwork, games, outdoor play, with every subject incorporating a rich and nurturing artistic approach.
- We have German, Strings Beginning & Advanced, Choir, Games, Circus Class, Eurythmy, Handwork, Gardening, Cooking, field trips and much more.
- Every lesson is based on artistic living activity, this is a very hands-on curriculum.
- The Pre-K and Kindergarten are developmental, focusing on social activities and artistic activities, encouraging play and using the imagination.
Shining Star Waldorf School places among the top 20% of private schools in Oregon for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
|School Type||Waldorf School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Association of Waldorf Schools of North America|
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||120 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||14 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(No logos, no commerical)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$5,000|
|Tuition Notes||We offer Scholarship Assistance, M to Th program, no Fridays, Thur. is outdoors all day year round for K to gr 7.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$500|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Marsha Johnson|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||2 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Friday Morning Play Group for Families $50 per month|
Club or Organization:
Tuesday Theater Comedy Club
- Small Healthy Waldorf Community
- Intentionally Small Class Sizes
- Community based co-op Model
- Located right in NE Portland!
- Nurturing, Caring, Gifted Teachers
- Seasonal Festivals, Celebrations
- Organic, focus on Bio Dynamic Farming
- Outdoor Play Every Day!
- Colorful Fine Arts In Every Lesson
- Art, Music, Movement, Poetry
- A 'Spiritual' Education
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Portland Grades: PK-5 | 218 students
10525 SE Cherry Blossom Drive
Portland, OR 97216
(503)255-5337 8.6 PK-5
- Portland Grades: Inquire with school | 60 students
8660 Se Foster Rd
Portland, OR 97266
(503)788-3935 9.4 Inquire with school
- Damascus Grades: PK-8 | 29 students
16077 SE HWY 224
Damascus, OR 97089
(503)558-8514 16 PK-8
My child started in 5th grade in the fall and has had a great experience there. We feel really lucky that there is a place like this that complements homeschooling so well, so that a kid can get the social piece with arts, foreign languages, etc in addition to the work we do at home (our kid does a lot of gifted online classes so it's a great balance to that kind of work). The overall feel of the school is that of an inclusive and warm community.
- Posted by Parent - mccla
We offer a German language partial immersion Kindergarten at our K site at NE 37th and Skidmore, just across from Bethany Lutheran Church. M-F, 9 am to 1 pm, Fall 2014. Please contact the school about this sweet class for ages 3 to 5. 503 753 4459
- Posted by Teacher - orego
Private school tuition seems to go nowhere but up. We look at some of the reasons why and offer the opinion that a private school education is still good value.
It seems to be highly likely that the COVID-19 virus will spread to the United States. We look at step schools and parents can take to protect themselves from this highly contagious virus.
This article aggregates all the articles I have written about running a small private school. Use it as a handbook and a reminder of things you should look at from time to time.