- Located on thirty acres in the Town of Courtland, Virginia, Southampton Academy is a college-preparatory day school with approximately 400 boys and girls in pre-kindergarten through high school.
- Students enroll at the Academy for the challenges and support they need to begin a life of learning.
- They enjoy opportunities to perform in a variety of arenas, and to contribute in unique ways to a vibrant school community-in the arts, athletics, student government, service, and cooperative learning. Academic and co-curricular programs are designed and conducted to challenge bright minds and nurture caring hearts.
- Lessons and experiences reach beyond the classroom-through special events, trips, guest speakers and performances; independent projects and research opportunities; after-school activities and sports. Together, they prepare Academy graduates for success and fulfillment in higher education and career.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools (SACS)|
Virginia Association of Independent Schools (VAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Total Students||459 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 26%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||40 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||11:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Number of AP Courses||4 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Calculus AB, AP English Language and Composition, AP English Literature and Composition, AP Government, Dual Credit French IV, Dual Credit US History, Honors Algebra II, Honors American Literature, Honors Biology, Honors Calculus, Honors Chemistry, Honors English 10, Honors English 12, Honors Geometry, Honors Government, Honors Pre-Calculus, Honors World History II|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Introductory tuition rate for new students|
|Admissions Director||Kim Drewry|
|Total Sports Offered||10 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,|
Cheering, Cross Country,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||12 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Beta Club, Chess Club, FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes), Forensics Team, National Honor Society (NHS), National Junior Honor Society (NJHS), SADD (Students Against Destructive Decisions), Scholastic Bowl Team, Student Council, Student Council (Middle School)
Arts and Music Programs:
Drama Club, Yearbook
- Parents interested in learning more about Academy programs and opportunities are encouraged to contact the Admissions Office to schedule a campus visit or request more information. Prospective Middle and Upper School students in particular benefit from visiting classes with a current student in the same grade level, as coordinated by the Admissions staff. The student must then perform satisfactorily on a nationally standardized admissions test, and the Academy must receive evidence of the student`s good behavior at previous schools, as applicable. The following documents are requested: Birth Certificate, Current Health (immunization) forms, Recommendation(s) from current teachers, School records, academic reports, and transcripts. Pre-kindergarten children do not take written application tests. September 30 is the birth date used to place children into appropriate Pre-K classes (for three or four year olds).
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- NorfolkGrades: 1-12 | 1209 students
1585 Wesleyan Dr
Norfolk, VA 23502
- SuffolkGrades: PK-12 | 823 students
3373 Pruden Blvd
Suffolk, VA 23434
- Isle Of WightGrades: PK-12 | 733 students
PO Box 105
Isle Of Wight, VA 23397
April 20, 2018
Sending your children to a summer program or camp keeps them active in fun-filled settings. We explore your options.
April 19, 2018
We take a detailed look at the three popular early childhood methods to help you determine which one best suits your needs and requirements.
April 10, 2018
There's much more to running a small private school than offering great academics and teaching. Be sure to check under the hood regularly to make sure everything keeps running smoothly.