Spring Street International School
5.00 (3 reviews)
Tel: (360) 378-6393 Ext. 3
At-a-Glance: SSIS is an independent, non-profit, co-ed day and boarding school.
Location: Friday Harbor, Washington is a town on San Juan Island (population 7,000), approximately 70 miles northwest of Seattle.San Juan Island is one of the four major islands and is accessible by ferry or plane.
Grades Served: 6-12 Student Population: 120 students, including 100 day and 20 boarding students from the US and other countries.
Student/Teacher Ratio: 8:1; average class size of 14.
Facilities: A 2-acre campus in town, including 9 classrooms, a science lab, a new art studio, and 5,000 square foot residential hall.
Teaching: 20 full and part-time teachers, 45 courses including Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Systems, Science Inquiry, Creative Writing, AP Literature, AP Psychology, US Constitution, AP Spanish, AP Calculus AB and BC, Genius Hour, Studio Art, Music Composition, Theatre, and ESL. 70% of SSIS faculty hold a Master's or higher degree.
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Other school association(s)
|Grades Offered||Grades 6-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||122 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 24%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||20 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Number of AP Courses||5 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Calculus AB/BC, AP English Language & Composition, AP Human Geography, AP Psychology|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$19,100|
|Tuition Notes||Above tuition is for day students. Boarding students have a different tuition.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$7,200|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Krista Strutz|
|Total Sports Offered||12 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Football, Golf, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||7 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Arts and Music Programs:|
Music, Photography, Theatre, Video, Visual Arts
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Hiking Club, Sailing team
- Spring Street International School is a close-knit community dedicated to helping students from diverse backgrounds find their voice and passion to learn. We build problem-solvers, team-players, learners, and leaders through advanced academics and hands-on curriculum in a safe and beautiful setting.
- We believe in...
- Relationships: When students know that teachers care, students care what teachers know. Our teachers are mentors and guides, engaging students in academic inquiry and creating space to discover what ignites them.
- Individuals: Every child is unique and deserves a unique education. We teach students, not classes, and tailor courses of study, assignments, and skill development around the needs of each individual student.
- Creativity: Characterized by the ability to perceive the world in new ways, to make new connections, and to innovate solutions, creativity thrives in our unique environment. Our students develop their own opinions and critical thinking.
- Experience: Learning emerges from doing and experiencing. Our students are not stuck at a desk. They work in groups, they lead, they present, they go beyond the walls of a classroom.
Profile last updated:
Small and rural community. Spring Street International School is a family. Faculty members meet students at their individual academic level. There is an emphasis on experiential education. SSIS travels as a school once in the fall, and once in the spring. This gives students a broad perspective of the world.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Bella Bledsoe
Spring Street International School has been absolutely life-changing for my daughter. While traditional, parochial and public schools tend to limit kids and box them into prefabricated and immutable academic programs, Spring Street can tailor students' learning individually. So if your child is strong in math but has challenges in other subjects, Spring Street can work with that. If your child obsesses about art, Spring Street can help her to soar with it.Additionally, the school trips (which include destinations like Tibet and China) offer an unparalleled window to fascinating and beautiful places in the world for the students - and, more importantly, exposure to other cultures.I asked my daughter what she would like to add to this review, and she said, "Spring Street is amazing - it's like a second family for me - one that has a culture of its own, and one that introduces me to *other* cultures."Plus, the town of Friday Harbor is one of the safest small towns in Washington state (and, by extension, the country), in one of the most beautiful places on earth (truly).As my daughter says, "Spring Street is amazing."
- Posted by Parent - VictoriaC
Being a teacher for 25 years, I've been looking for a place where I got to meet student needs as I saw fit. Having both of my daughters benefit from this school has been blown me away as well. I love this school and am blessed to be a part of it.
- Posted by Teacher - Jeff Smith
You cannot rank private schools. We explain why.