Spring Street International School
5.00 (3 reviews)
Tel: (360)378-6393 Ext. 3
- Spring Street students learn to see their families, their home communities, and ultimately themselves as participants in a much larger world.
- An individualized academic program hones the language and theoretical tools necessary for collaborative thinking in the humanities, arts, and sciences.
- Our unique location on the Pacific Rim, in a small town at the center of the Salish Sea just 70 miles north of Seattle, invites students to put theory into practice on expeditions that build individual character and group cooperation, preparing each student for success in American higher education, business, and life.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other school association(s)|
|Grades Offered||Grades 6-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Total Students||112 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||20 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||14 students|
|Number of AP Courses||5 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Calculus AB/BC, AP English Language & Composition, AP Human Geography, AP Psychology,|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$15,800|
|Tuition Notes||Above tuition is for day students. Boarding students have a different tuition.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$6,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Krista Strutz|
|Total Sports Offered||12 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Football, Golf, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||11 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Boxing, Chess Club, Creative Writing, Diplomacy (board game), Lap Swim, Photography, School Paper, Stock Investing, Video Projects, Weight Lifting, Yoga
- Spring Street is a multicultural, independent, day and boarding school that provides students with a stimulating learning environment in a safe, rural setting. Students discover a love of learning and prepare for excellence in college. Challenging expeditions and travel experiences foster personal growth. Service in diverse communities teaches empathy, humility and the importance of collaboration with others. Students become engaged, thoughtful, ethical participants in local and global communities.
- Spring Street International School Mission Statement
- We mentor students to achieve:
- Academic Mastery: the critical thinking skills, depth of knowledge, and complex reasoning necessary for scholarly excellence at the university level;
- Internal Strength: the confidence and discipline to navigate life's complex choices and to achieve individual success;
- Perspective: an appreciation of the breadth and diversity of the world and its cultures, promoting tolerance, respect for others, and compassion;
- Integrity: honesty, ethical behavior, and a commitment to the common good.
- Our Philosophy
- Our programs are rooted in academic rigor and a progressive educational philosophy of individual development, embodied in four key principles:
- 1. We recognize each student's individuality, strengths, and capacity to succeed;
- 2. We vary our teaching methods accordingly and include experiential travel, service volunteering, and studies outside the classroom;
- 3. We teach students, not classes, striving to develop each student's ability to think deeply, creatively, and analytically;
- 4. We support each student in developing his/her personal growth.
- Our Program
- We are a multicultural day and boarding school that provides students a stimulating, rigorous yet informal environment in a safe, rural setting. Our nurturing atmosphere encourages students to achieve and become successful people, and our challenging travel experiences enable them to embrace the unfamiliar. We recognize that laughter enhances learning. Positive peer interactions enhance learning and laughing. Students discover a love of learning and prepare for excellence in college. Volunteering in diverse communities teaches empathy, humility and the importance of collaboration with others. Our students become engaged, thoughtful, ethical participants in local and global communities.
- Spring Street International School History
- Spring Street International School opened as Spring Street School in the fall of 1995 for students and parents seeking a rigorous academic program responsive to the skill levels and interests of individual students. The school is approved by the Washington State Board of Education to serve students in grades six through twelve. Spring Street International School is accredited by the Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges, and is a Member of AdvancEd. As an independent school, it is registered as a non-profit organization governed by a board of trustees, and is committed to independence of control by any government or church agency, or special interest group. The school, its teachers and administrators, are accountable directly to its students and parents. It is free to select its own goals, curricula, teachers and students in the pursuit of excellence in education. Spring Street International School is located at 505 Spring Street in Friday Harbor, Washington. Approximately two-thirds of its students come from San Juan Island, and the others commute from Orcas, Shaw and Lopez Islands. Additionally, the school has a dormitory that houses up to 20 students both from the U.S. and from abroad. The unique setting of the school enhances the core program by allowing a diversity of educational experiences, through access to the local environment and community resources, and the use of unique talents of community members. While an atmosphere of intimacy is critical to the school's functioning, the use of resource people ensures that students are exposed to an unusually broad range of perspectives. The school seeks to promote a balance for students between an intensive academic program and experiential education, including field trips, wilderness experiences and an overseas program. We believe the exposure our students receive to a wide range of experiences helps keep the isolation of island living from imposing limitations on their choices in life. Spring Street International School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, national and ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admission policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and other school-administered programs.
Profile last updated:
Nearby Private Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Friday Harbor Grades: K-5 | 15 students
775 Park St
Friday Harbor, WA 98250
(360)378-2331 0.3 K-5
- Eastsound Grades: PK-6 | 44 students
867 North Beach Rd
Eastsound, WA 98245
(360)376-4310 12.5 PK-6
- Eastsound Grades: K | 6 students
1147 N Beach Rd
Eastsound, WA 98245
(360)376-5350 13 K
- Eastsound Grades: K-12 | 79 students
107 Enchanted Forest Rd
Eastsound, WA 98245
(360)376-6683 13.7 K-12
- Anacortes Grades: PK-K | 45 students
Anacortes, WA 98221 18.4 PK-K
Small and rural community. Spring Street International School is a family. Faculty members meet students at their individual academic level. There is an emphasis on experiential education. SSIS travels as a school once in the fall, and once in the spring. This gives students a broad perspective of the world.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Bella Bledsoe
Spring Street International School has been absolutely life-changing for my daughter. While traditional, parochial and public schools tend to limit kids and box them into prefabricated and immutable academic programs, Spring Street can tailor students' learning individually. So if your child is strong in math but has challenges in other subjects, Spring Street can work with that. If your child obsesses about art, Spring Street can help her to soar with it.Additionally, the school trips (which include destinations like Tibet and China) offer an unparalleled window to fascinating and beautiful places in the world for the students - and, more importantly, exposure to other cultures.I asked my daughter what she would like to add to this review, and she said, "Spring Street is amazing - it's like a second family for me - one that has a culture of its own, and one that introduces me to *other* cultures."Plus, the town of Friday Harbor is one of the safest small towns in Washington state (and, by extension, the country), in one of the most beautiful places on earth (truly).As my daughter says, "Spring Street is amazing."
- Posted by Parent - VictoriaC
Being a teacher for 25 years, I've been looking for a place where I got to meet student needs as I saw fit. Having both of my daughters benefit from this school has been blown me away as well. I love this school and am blessed to be a part of it.
- Posted by Teacher - Jeff Smith
Nearby Homes for Sale
We look at several ways you can use to search for private schools. Whether you are beginning the search process for a school for your child or just want to find out more about particular schools, we offer some tips and tricks to make searching more efficient.
Here's a recap of the steps you need to follow to find the right school for your child. Work through the process in sequence from beginning to end.
Did you think that corporal punishment in our schools was extinct? Sadly, it isn't. Here are some facts and some suggestions as to what you can do to help eliminate corporal punishment once and for all.