St. Bernard Preparatory School Photo #2 - Since 1891, the relationships our alumni start at St. Bernard last a lifetime!
St. Bernard Preparatory School Photo #4 - Studying in the Quad! Boarding students have an extensive residential life program, which does include Studying! That's how our 24 graduates of 2010 garnered $3.4M in college scholarships!
St. Bernard Preparatory School Photo #5 - It's not ALL work! Just as with any high school, St. Bernard has the usual memory milestones--Prom, Homecoming, Graduation, and Friendships to last a lifetime!
St. Bernard Preparatory School Photo #6 - An extensive sports program for both boys and girls, including soccer, softball, basketball, track, cross country, tennis, swimming, baseball, volleyball, cheerleading, and dance team.
St. Bernard Preparatory School Photo #7 - Monks, Priests, Sisters, and an extremely well-educated (most with advanced degrees) Faculty and Staff.
St. Bernard Preparatory School Photo #8 - Opportunities to focus on individual talents and gifts, to perform, to excel!
St. Bernard Preparatory School Photo #10 - As a Co-Ed, Catholic boarding and day school, Christian values are emphasized. ALL religions are welcome. A SAFE, secure environment for our students, St. Bernard's campus is located on the picturesque 800 acres of St. Bernard Abbey, less than 150 miles from Atlanta, GA.
St. Bernard is a co-ed Catholic boarding and day school for grades 7-12. Since 1891 St. Bernard has been providing a quality education that prepares students for college/university studies and life.
Operated by the Benedictine monks of St. Bernard Abbey, the school offers students a Catholic Christian education, college preparatory curriculum, 5 or 7-day boarding, supervised study hall, and financial assistance.
The school's purpose is to assist students to grow to their potential in mind, body and spirit.
- Top Ranked AL School
- Grades: 7-12
- Enrollment: 180 students
- Yearly Tuition: $9,350
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
- Source: Verified school update
St. Bernard Preparatory School ranks among the top 20% of private schools in Alabama for:
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 24%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
Number of AP Courses
Biology, Calculus I, Calculus II, Chemistry, Dual Enrollment English, English A, English B, European History, Physics
Average SAT score
Average ACT score
Classroom Dress Code
Khaki pants, girls uniform skirt, blazer
Khaki pants, girls uniform skirt, blazer
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
None / Rolling
Yearly Tuition Cost
Day Tuition - 9350 including Books and Fees27100 boarding, incl. Room, Board and Books and Fees
% on Financial Aid
Brother Bernard Denson, O.S.B.
Total Sports Offered
Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.
Art Club, Astronomy Club, Bernardian Admissions Team, Campus Ministry, Drama Club, Interact, Jazz Band, Junior Classical League (Latin), Mu Alpha Theta (Math), Music Ensemble, National Honor Society, Recycling Club, Show Choir, Sigma Tau Delta (English), Spanish Club
- St. Bernard Preparatory School admits students who seek to prepare for college and university studies and who are academically capable of excelling through standard college prep instructional and testing methods. The school endeavors to challenge each student to academic excellence through a rigorous and reasonablecollege preparatory program, including AP courses and dual-enrollment in college courses.
- - St. Bernard averages over$3 million in scholarships per 25 graduates. Over $5 million in 2014, 24 graduates.
- - St. Bernard graduates are accepted to numerous prestigious colleges and universities.
- - ACT and SAT scores consistently rank well above the national average.
- - Cultural diversity is promoted through our international student population.
- - Foreign travel opportunities are available to students.
- - Highly-educated and experienced faculty of Monks and Lay personnel.
- - Extensive athletics program as well as a full spectrum of visual and performing arts.
- - Safe, secure environment on the picturesque 900 acres of St. Bernard Abbey.
- - Located in North Alabama in the quaint community of Cullman (originally founded by German immigrants in 1877),an hour drivenorth of Birmingham,an hoursouth of Huntsville, two hours from Nashville, TN,from three hours from Atlanta, GA.
- - Residential life that promotes growth, maturity and the self-knowledge that comes through a healthy measure of independence and self-reliance.
- - The school's "House System" organizes the student body into "houses" of less than 20 students, supervised by teachers and staff members. This results in integration of the student body, student leadership skills, and personal connection with faculty and staff.School accreditations:
- - Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, The Association of Boarding Schools, Secondary Schools Admissions Test Board
Source: Verified school update
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does St. Bernard Preparatory School cost?
St. Bernard Preparatory School's tuition is approximately $9,350 for private students.
What sports does St. Bernard Preparatory School offer?
St. Bernard Preparatory School offers 13 interscholastic sports: Baseball, Basketball, Bowling, Cheering, Cross Country, Football, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball and Winter Track. St. Bernard Preparatory School is ranked as one of the top 20% of private schools in Alabama for most sports offered.
What is St. Bernard Preparatory School's ranking?
St. Bernard Preparatory School ranks among the top 20% of private schools in Alabama for: Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees, Most sports offered, Most extracurriculars offered and Oldest founding date.
When is the application deadline for St. Bernard Preparatory School?
The application deadline for St. Bernard Preparatory School is rolling (applications are reviewed as they are received year-round).
Endorse St. Bernard Preparatory School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
Exploring Educational Savings Accounts: A Guide for Parents
This comprehensive article explores the different educational savings accounts available to parents for private K-12 education and tertiary education. It provides detailed explanations of each account, including the 529 College Savings Plan, Coverdell Education Savings Accounts, and Custodial Accounts. The article cites applicable legal authorities and emphasizes the importance of informed decision-making by consulting with legal and financial professionals.
Children With Learning Differences: How To Proceed
Facing the reality that your child has learning differences is never easy. But with a diagnosis from a qualified professional, and skilled experienced teachers who know how to remediate those differences, your child can learn to handle her differences. More here.
October 30, 2023Volunteering at Your Children's Private School
Discover the many meaningful ways parents can get involved at their children's private school and make a positive impact on the educational journey. From PTA involvement to sharing specialized skills, find out how your contributions can strengthen the school community.