St Ignatius School
- Saint Ignatius School grew out of the grassroots efforts of Jesuits and their lay supporters to provide social services and act as advocates for immigrant youth.
- In an area long known for failing public schools, the rare opportunities that a Nativity-model middle school could provide were clear, and Saint Ignatius School formally opened in 1995.
- Boys in grades six through eight were the first to attend Saint Ignatius School.
- However, conversations with the students' parents and a focused feasibility study revealed that Hunts Point desperately needed quality educational opportunities for both boys and girls.
- As a result, in July 2004, a class of 14 fifth-grade girls prepared for the routine and rigor of Saint Ignatius during a two-week Summer Leadership Program, and then began classes at the middle school in September.
- Saint Ignatius School will continue to add to the girls program from the bottom up, with the goal being to offer fifth through eighth grades for the girls.
- Again responding to requests from community parents, Saint Ignatius School added a fifth grade for boys in September 2006.
- This will provide greater continuity of learning for the youth of Hunts Point, as local public elementary schools currently end after the fourth grade.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||State or regional independent school association|
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades 6-8|
|Total Students||61 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||8 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1|
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Bronx Grades: PK-8 | 289 students
801 Bartholdi Street
Bronx, NY 10467
(718) 944-0958 4.3 PK-8
- Bronx Grades: K-12 | 45 students
1734 Williamsbridge Road
Bronx, NY 10461
(718) 792-5665 3.1 K-12
- Bronx Grades: 6-8 | 377 students
3901 Fieldston Rd
Bronx, NY 10471
(718) 329-7333 5.2 6-8
You will encounter COOP, HSPT and TACHS if you are applying to some Roman Catholic high schools.
This article aims to show you where to look for information about school reopening protocols, school reopening communications, schools that have closed, and schools with COVID-19 cases, among other COVID-19 related issues.
The COVID-19 has turned our lives upside down. Sending your children back to school raises all sorts of concerns for their safety and education. We answer some of your questions here.