Tel: (630) 969-4306
- An award-winning PreK- Grade 8 program, St. Joseph School is a Catholic community that offers students a challenging academic education while building their love of God and commitment to improving the world.
- We educate the whole student – mind, body and spirit – and encourage each child to become the person God calls him or her to be.
- Ultimately, our goal is to prepare children for academic and personal success in a faith-filled, nurturing environment. Our community spirit is unequaled.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)|
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||437 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 32%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||24 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||18:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||23 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(plaid uniform and khaki pants)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$4,030|
|Tuition Notes||Multi-student discount available: Grade 1-8 - 2 students - $6,040 total Grade 1-8 - 3 students - $7,450 total Grade 1-8 - 4 students - $8,055 total|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Total Sports Offered||5 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Football, Track and Field, VolleyballBasketball, Cross Country,|
Football, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||17 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
"Mathletes" Math Club, Alter Servers, Band, Book Clubs, Boy/Girl Scouts, Chess Club, Extended Care, Geography Bee, Hand Bell Choir, Liturgical Choir, No-Cut Sports, Piano, Science Fair, Spelling Bee, Spirt Squad, Student Council, Writing Club
- Excellent Academics
- Our graduates excel in high school, earning awards and scholarships:
- - SJS alums regularly earn honors, including being named valedictorians at local high schools, National Merit Award winners and recipients of community awards.
- - Each year, SJS alums earn approximately $500,000 in college scholarships.
- - Kindergarten Plus gives students an all-day Kindergarten option for extended learning opportunities and activities.
- - Our average class size is 23 students, offering a personalized approach to learning.
- - Our faculty regularly wins awards offered by the Diocese and local organizations.
- - Spanish is taught in all grades, K-8.
- - In 2013, SJS students earned one “Gold Award” and one “Silver Award” at the IL State Science Fair.
- - Fine arts and computer science give students a well-rounded education in music, art and technology.
- Faith Formation
- - Catholic values are emphasized in all spiritual, educational and extracurricular activities.
- - All-school Masses, celebrated on Tuesdays and Holy Days at 8:15 am, give 8th grade students the opportunity to take an active role as lectors, sacristans and ushers, while students from all grades participate in other parts of Mass.
- - Sacramental preparation is incorporated into the school day.
- - Students participate in prayer services, rosary, Stations of the Cross, May Crowning and Reconciliation.
- - Service projects help students live their faith and are built into the curricula.
- Extracurricular Activities
- - Extended Care offers students an extended day of 7 am - 6 pm – a convenient option for working parents.
- - Our award-winning, no-cut sports program is offered to students in grades 5 - 8, including volleyball, football, cross country, basketball and track.
- - Representative students from grades 5 - 8 can be part of Student Council, which sponsors student and community outreach activities.
- - The award-winning “Mathletes” Math Club is lead by Mrs. Phelan in Middle School.
- - Liturgical Choir includes students in grades 5 - 8; its role is leading the congregation in song at all-school Mass.
- - Hand Bell Choir is open to students in grades 5 - 8; it performs at some all-school Masses and at Christmas.
- - Students can train to be altar servers in 5th grade; they serve weekend, school Masses, weddings and funerals.
- - Band is offered to students beginning in 4th grade; it is incorporated into the school day.
- - Boy/Girl Scouts are open to all St. Joseph students beginning as early as Kindergarten or 1st grade.
- - Grade 4 Spirit Club cheers on school athletic teams at events throughout the year; Keyboarding, Book Club and Writing Club are available in some grades based on parent volunteers.
- Parental Support
- - School Advisory Board is group that meets monthly with the principal, president and pastor regardingthe policy and progress of the school; nine board members hold positions for three years.
- - Parent Forum coordinates volunteers for school programs and special events.
- - The Athletic and Booster organization coordinates athletic programs.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Downers Grove Grades: PK-8 | 483 students
440 Prairie Ave
Downers Grove, IL 60515
(630) 968-6155 0.7 PK-8
- Hinsdale Grades: K-8 | 474 students
421 S Clay St
Hinsdale, IL 60521
(630) 323-3244 3.9 K-8
As the COVID-19 virus spreads throughout the United States, we look at steps schools and parents can take to protect themselves from this highly contagious virus.
Raising children involves constant attention to their development and progress. Identifying learning disabilities must be part of your plan.
This article aims to show you where to look for information about school reopening protocols, school reopening communications, schools that have closed, and schools with COVID-19 cases, among other COVID-19 related issues.