St. Joseph's Academy
5.00 (3 reviews)
Tel: (225) 383-7207
- St. Joseph`s Academy is a Catholic, all-girls, college-preparatory high school, the oldest high school in Baton Rouge.
- For more than 150 years, SJA has stood as a pillar of excellence in the Baton Rouge community.
- The Academy has been named a National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence four times by the U.S. Department of Education.
- Founded in 1868 by the Sisters of St. Joseph, this premier high school for young women is a place where relationships are strengthened and young girls become women of faith, hope and love.
- Academy students grow in Catholic faith traditions through a comprehensive religious education program, liturgical rituals and service opportunities; become life-long learners through interaction with master teachers and mentors; and enjoy peer relationships and learn leadership skills in a variety of student clubs and through participation in a championship athletic program. Come experience all that makes SJA truly exceptional.
- SJA Announces Partnership With Diversity And Inclusion Consultant - 07/15/2020 - St. Joseph`s Academy will partner with Dr. Katrice A. Albert, a leading national voice for equity-minded, culturally responsive leadership practices, to guide the school`s work toward achieving inclusive excellence.
- Graduate To Return To SJA As Campus Minister - 05/29/2020 - Kathleen (Kat) Peek, a 2011 graduate of St. Joseph`s Academy, is returning to her alma mater in the role of campus minister.
- SJA Elects Student Council Executive Board - 05/26/2020 - The 2020-2021 St. Joseph`s Academy Student Council executive board has been elected.
- Class Of 2020 Graduates - 05/21/2020 - The St. Joseph`s Academy class of 2020 graduated on May 17 in a unique, tightly choreographed commencement ceremony.
St. Joseph's Academy places among the top 20% of private schools in Louisiana for:
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)|
National Coalition of Girls
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
National Catholic Education Association
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Awards||Blue Ribbon School - Selected in 1996, 2002, 2016|
|Total Students||1,126 students|
|Student Body Type||All-girls|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 21%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||77 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||15:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||23 students|
|Number of AP Courses||23 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Seminar, Art History AP, Biology AP, Calculus AB AP, Chemistry AP, Computer Science Principles AP, English Language and Composition AP, French AP, Human Geography AP, Latin AP, Macroeconomics AP, Microeconomics AP, Music Theory AP, Physics C AP, Psychology AP, Statistics AP, Studio Art AP, US Government and Politics AP, US History AP, World History AP|
|Average ACT score||25|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$11,684|
|Tuition Notes||In keeping with the vision of the Sisters of St. Joseph, no student has ever been denied admission solely on the basis of her family’s ability to pay full tuition. The philosophy of SJA’s tuition assistance program is that an Academy education be available to all young ladies who wish to attend and have the academic ability and motivation to succeed. Learn more at www.sjaawards.org.|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$4,545|
|Admissions Director||Meredith Smith|
|Admissions Associate||Cori Martone|
|Total Sports Offered||16 sports|
|Sports||Ballet, Basketball, Bowling, Cheering, Cross Country, Dance, Golf, Gymnastics, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Winter TrackBallet, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Dance,
Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee,
Volleyball, Winter Track,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||41 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
4-H, Ambassadors, American Sign Language, Art Club, Beta Club, Broadcasting Club (SJABR TV), Cooking and Crafts Club, Creative Writers' Club, Film Club, French Club I, French Club II, French Club III and IV, Games Club, Girls Who Code, Historical and Geographical Society, Latin Club, Literary Ladies Society (Book Club), Liturgy Choir, Liturgy Committee, Mu Alpha Theta, National Honor Society, Praise and Worship Band, Respect Life, Robotics Team (First Robotics Club), Science Club, SJA Ambassadors, SJABR TV, Spanish Club, Speech and Debate Team, Student Council, Student Ministry, Yearbook (The Shield), Youth & Government
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Catholic High School Bruinettes (Dance Team), Catholic High School Cheerleaders, Intramural Co-ed Volleyball, Intramural Dodgeball, Intramural Lacrosse, Intramural Pickleball, SJA Cheerleaders, Ultimate Frisbee
- This premier Catholic secondary school was founded in 1868 in Baton Rouge by the Sisters of St. Joseph. In this, our 152nd year, the Academy continues to provide an environment of excellence, where relationships are strengthened and young girls become women of faith, hope and love.
- A sponsored ministry of the Congregation of St. Joseph, SJA is administered by the Sisters of St. Joseph and dedicated lay women and men who provide an environment of inspiration and learning. To date, the Academy has 10,480 alumnae, and our communities are enriched by the gifts they bring to their businesses, charitable organizations, volunteer efforts, governments, church parishes and families.
- The Academy is recognized on the local, regional, state and national levels as an outstanding high school for young women. We are devoted to our mission statement, which is to educate young women as responsible and unifying members of the world community. In the spirit and charism of the Sisters of St. Joseph, St. Joseph`s Academy offers opportunities for faith development in the Catholic tradition, academic excellence and personal growth.
- Faith development in our Catholic tradition is a priority at SJA. We begin each day with prayer. Theology, which is taught throughout our students` four years, is supplemented by our service program, annual retreats, Eucharistic liturgies celebrated regularly and weekly rosary.
- As an expression of the charism of the Sisters of St. Joseph, education at SJA emphasizes the importance of relationships with the dear neighbor. The service component of our curriculum is one way we encourage our students to express God`s love, both within our school community and in the context of the broader world. Through service, our students grow in awareness of themselves and become increasingly connected with all God`s creation. The Academy has a longstanding tradition of sponsoring spring and summer service trips both in the United States and abroad.
- Academic excellence is an Academy hallmark. Our students` ACT and PSAT scores continue to surpass state and national averages. A number of our seniors are recognized each year by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation. One hundred percent of our graduates advance to the university level. Our curriculum includes Advanced Placement, honors, dual-enrollment and college-prep core curriculum classes along with many electives, including Choir, Dance, Art, Painting, Drama, Media Arts, Family and Consumer Science and Computer Science.
- Students receive academic counseling from grade-level counselors as well as guidance with the college application process with two full-time College Advisors.
- Students experience personal growth through a variety of co-curricular activities. Student-athletes compete in 11 sports and enjoy tremendous success, as the state championship trophies in our trophy case will attest. The Science Club plants seeds at SJA each year for the Coastal Roots Project and travels to areas devastated by hurricanes to plant the seedlings; the Respect Life Club participates in the March for Life in Washington, D.C., each year; and our Black Box Company performs to standing ovations and rave reviews in fall and spring productions. These are just a few of the many opportunities our students enjoy.
- SJA provides tablet computers, wireless networking, email and 20 mb internet access to all students and faculty/staff. Technology is integrated across the curriculum to support the teaching of higher-order thinking skills and to allow students the opportunity to make the computer a standard learning tool. Our curriculum is constantly updated to meet the changing needs of our young women.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Baton Rouge Grades: 4 | 1 students
9150 Bereford Dr
Baton Rouge, LA 70809
(225) 923-2068 4.7 4
- Baton Rouge Grades: 7-12 | 35 students
1900 N. Blvd
Baton Rouge, LA 70806
(225) 344-8900 14.7 7-12
- Baton Rouge Grades: PK-12 | 980 students
3200 Woodland Ridge Blvd
Baton Rouge, LA 70816
(225) 755-2703 7.2 PK-12
- Baton Rouge Grades: PK-8 | 549 students
8850 Goodwood Blvd
Baton Rouge, LA 70806
(225) 926-4885 3.3 PK-8
A fantastic sisterhood of empathetic, driven and passionate women educated and mentored by dedicated faculty members who are at the top of their respective fields. The wide array of enrichment opportunities, extracurricular activities and varsity and intramural athletics allows for each student to pursue her passions far beyond the classroom.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - jmenvi1
Amazing school. The computer program is outstanding and they are committed to giving an outstanding education. They are adding a new building for the arts because they really do care about your personal growth like they say in the mission statement. They teachers really do help you and they care about how well you are learning the material.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Katk0
This is a close knit school completely committed to educating strong, beautiful, God-filled ladies. The academics are perfect for college preparation, teachers are very well trained and very kind, and the facilities help make the high school experience a great one. I highly recommend this school.
- Posted by Parent - lpep3
Whether you are just beginning the process of choosing a private school or several months into it, make sure that you keep these five 'must haves' front and center in your thinking.
Are charter schools private schools? What do vouchers have to do with private schools? Some answers here.
You cannot rank private schools. We explain why.