St Mary Catholic School
St Mary Catholic School Photo #2 - We are a Bicentennial School! We are proud to be chosen to represent our State as one of 200 Bicentennial Schools in Alabama! Pictured is Superintendent of Catholic Schools, Gwen Byrd with St. Mary Catholic School Principal, Debbie Ollis.
St Mary Catholic School Photo #3 - St. Mary Fifth Grade Buddies walk their Little Kindergarten Buddies back to class after the Friday Student Mass
St Mary Catholic School Photo #4 - We Remember. St. Mary students participate in the 9-11 Patriot's Day Memorial.
St Mary Catholic School Photo #5 - St. Mary Faculty and Staff! St. Mary welcomed back our faculty and staff with a beautiful Mass before a week of training and orientation to prepare for the first day of school.
St Mary Catholic School Photo #6 - Students participate in weekly Mass at St. Mary Catholic School in many ways. From planning the Mass as a class, to lectors, gift bearers, and altar servers, there are many opportunities available.
St Mary Catholic School Photo #7 - Technology is important at St. Mary Catholic. Each and every year we upgrade our technology resources. From Ipads for every student, to smart boards in every classroom, to the latest software, we make sure that our students have the most up to date tools available to them.
St Mary Catholic School Photo #10 - Join us for St. Mary Parent Night! Explore the opportunities for your child in grades PreK3 - 8. Event begins with an open house for our Parish Mom's Day Out at 4:30 p.m. followed by an informational dinner at 5:30 p.m. and and curriculum tours of PreK3 through 8th grade at 6:30 p.m.
- Our mission is to provide an environment where Jesus' message of love meets the spiritual, intellectual, physical and emotional needs of our students.
- This mission is manifested through MARY - Moral Accomplished Responsible Yearning to learn.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)|
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||543 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 21%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||56 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||10:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||25 students|
|Number of AP Courses||2 courses|
|Advanced Courses||Honors Algebra, Spanish I|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(navy houndstooth plaid pants, jumpers, and skirts; white buttondowns and polos)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$2,900|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$1,000|
|Admissions Director||Annette Patterson|
|Total Sports Offered||10 sports|
|Sports||Ballet, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Flag Football, Football, Soccer, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBallet, Basketball,|
Cheering, Cross Country,
Flag Football, Football,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||22 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Local Science Fair, Middle School Enhancement Program, National Junior Honor Society, Piano Lessons, Regional and State Technology Competition, Regional Spelling Bee, Scholars' Bowl, St. Jude Mathathon, Student Yearbook Staff|
Club or Organization:
Altar Servers, Ballet and Jazz, Boy Scouts, Chess Club, Girl Scouts, Pro-life Club, Recycling Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Art Competitions, Children's Choir
Recreational Athletic Programs:
CYO Sports Program:Basketball, CYO Sports Program:Football, CYO Sports Program:Soccer, CYO Sports Program:Volleyball
- St. Mary Catholic School, founded in 1867, is the oldest existing Catholic elementary school in Alabama. As the largest education ministry of St. Mary Parish, the school continues today, as a partner with parents, focusing on the development of the whole child. The mission of St. Mary is to provide an environment where Jesus` message of love meets the spiritual, intellectual, physical, and emotional needs of our children. The mission is manifested through MARY-Moral, Accomplished, Responsible, Yearning to learn. St. Mary Catholic School strives to be attuned to the needs of both students and parents. To this end, St. Mary offers before and after school care, has Pre-K3 and Pre-K4 programs, and provides a full-service cafeteria. St. Mary Catholic School makes no discrimination on the basis of religion, race, or national origin. St. Mary considers all non-parish and non-Catholic students on a space-available basis. Screening interviews may be administered to new students.
- St. Mary Catholic School is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS). St. Mary offers an academic program that produces students who are ready and eager to move to the next level of academic achievement. In addition to the core curriculum of language arts, mathematics, social studies and science, St. Mary is pleased to offer the following: Marian Honors Program, Religion, Library, Resource Program, Performance, Assessments, STEAM plant, McGill-Toolen Prep Band, Art Classes, Middle School Drama, Science Lab, Preschool Phonics Program, Performing Arts, Pre-KE-5, Computer Lab/Instruction, Full-time counselor, Spanish, Low Student to Teacher Ration, Guided/Levelized Reading Curriculum, Outdoor Classroom, Middle School Debate Team.
- PARENT OPPORTUNITIES
- St. Mary Catholic School is committed to raising the leaders of tomorrow. A partnership between parents and St. Mary creates a home and school environment positively impacting the lives of children. In addition to every day parent/teacher partnership, St. Mary has other opportunities for parents and members of the greater community to make a difference: Parent/Teacher Organization (PTO), Sacramental Programs, School Advisory Committee, Room Parents, Business Partnership Program, Teacher/Library Assistants, Casino Nights, Special Events/Programs, Parent Information Nights, SCRIP Program, Annual Fund Drive which provides for facility, academic, and campus improvements, Steve Thompson Memorial Golf Tournament.
- YOUNG MIND AND CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT
- National Junior Honors Society, Bay Area Scholastic Challenge League, Peer Helpers, Something Beautiful for God Service Program, Weekly Mass, Buy Into Mobile Recycling Project, Altar Server Program, Sacraments, Liturgical Services, Scouts and CYO Sports Programs, Yearbook, Alabama High School Athletic Association, grades 7 and 8, Children`s Choice, Pro Life Club, and Computer Club.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
SSAT and ISEE scores are one part of the total picture which most private school admissions staff review. These standardized tests reveal what you have learned in key mastery areas.
Do you think your son has a learning disability? Not sure what to do? A special needs school might be the way to go.
You thought everything was set. The test scores were excellent. She had glowing teacher recommendations. The visit and the interview went well. But the school didn't accept your child. What do you do now?