St. Thomas's Day School
St. Thomas's Day School Photo #5 - St. Thomas's opened new playgrounds fully equipped with a Mudkitchen, water pump, Ga-Ga Pit and much more! We believe play is a child's work and our students play in all weather!
St. Thomas's Day School Photo #7 - St. Thomas's deconstructs computers in our Makerspace to explore how they operate!
St Thomas's Day School is a Kindergarten through Grade 6 coeducational Independent Day School in New Haven,Connecticut.
St. Thomas's Day School is a diverse and inclusive communitythat is rooted in both academic rigor and character education.
The School seeks to motivate children of diverse races, creeds,and backgrounds to become independent thinkers who appreciate,understand, and serve others. The school welcomes students of allreligious, ethnic, and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Grades: Kindergarten-6
- Students: 122 students
- Yearly Tuition: $26,240
- Average class size: 18 students
- Application Deadline: Feb. 1 / rolling
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 27%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
Average Class Size
List of Courses Offered
Matriculation DataMatric. Data
Classroom Dress Code
Finances and Admission
Feb. 1 / rolling
Yearly Tuition Cost
% on Financial Aid
Average Financial Aid Grant
Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.
Club or Organization:
Extended Day Program
Arts and Music Programs:
Blue Stars Choir, Orchestra
Extended Day Program
Arts and Music Programs:
Blue Stars Choir, Orchestra
- St. Thomas`s Day School is a nurturing, and diverselearning community that is rooted in academic excellence andcharacater education. St. Thomas's has a strong sense of communitythat is inclusive and focuses on social justice, global awarenessand religious literacy. St. Thomas's also celebrates childhood inan environment that encourages curiosity, playfulness andcreativity on a daily basis.
- The dedicated faculty and staff engage the students in adynamic and experiential learning environment where each individualstudent is known, challenged, and supported. St. Thomas's studentsare exposed to a broad range of experiences that extend well beyondthe classroom walls. In addition to the core subjects, St. Thomas`sis a lively place where music, art, science, drama, computer,Spanish and extensive field trips make every day a rich learningexperience.
- St. Thomas's works to develop strong leadership skills for allstudents, especially our sixth graders. A few responsibilitiesinclude giving campus tours, acting as student chaplain at the allschool chapel or being a teachers helper each morning for youngergrade levels.Our students grow over the course of their timeat St. Thomas`s and benefit greatly from our unwavering dedicationto teaching empathy, compassion, respect and inclusivity. Theseteachings are woven into the fabric of our curriculum, discussionsand activities. This is a remarkable trait you will see in a St.Thomas`s student and graduate.
- St. Thomas`s students are sought after at a variety ofindependent secondary schools because they are well-preparedacademically, socially and are well-rounded citizens of highcharacter. Students who attend St.Thomas`s during their elementaryschool years develop lifelong values, friendships, a strongacademic foundation, with a curiosity for learning that willbenefit them throughout their lives.
Profile last updated:
St Thomas's Day School is an incredibly special place! We are thrilled to have our two children currently enrolled at the school, and we plan to send our youngest child as well. We are confident that our children are receiving an outstanding education and are learning the importance of having a strong moral and ethical compass. 'Make the world a better place, and let it begin with me' are the words that the children recite each morning in chapel. This phrase reflects the overall culture and one of the missions of the school. We are an interfaith family so the chapel piece of each day initially was a concern for us, but we now appreciate that morning chapel is one of the best daily components of the school day. Our children have learned about all religions, faiths and beliefs. They have learned there is something greater than themselves, and they have a genuine sense of wanting to give back to the world around them. It's been amazing to witness the power of daily chapel in so many different ways! To us, the school feels like an extension of our family. Our children are nurtured and supported in all that they do. As parents, we feel included and nurtured as well. The head of school and teachers are easily accessible to us and always listen with kindness. The teachers are deeply knowledgeable and have a sincere passion for what they do. They are creative, flexible, and dedicated to their students and families. The school has embraced our parental efforts to be actively involved in the education and school life of our children. In kindergarten and grade 1, our children thrived in a play-based learning environment. Play is encouraged and our children have generous recess time every day and physical education class 2-3 times each week. We believe in the power of free play, time on the playground and routine recess time - these activities promote physical activity, social skills, creativity, flexibility and adaptation to name a few. Our children have benefited from the school-wide sense of high expectations in developing a personal feeling of ability and esteem. We could go on and on so suffice it to say that we are overwhelmingly happy at St Thomas's Day School. The school has exceeded our expectations, and we are immensely grateful.
St. Thomas is a special place, you here that over and over again. It is a warm, welcoming and diverse community. The education is individualized, progressive and joyful. My kids miss school when they are on break. St. T's also teaches kids to be kind and to be part of a community. It is the small school with the BIG heart. We are so happy with our decision to send our two daughters here.
St. Thomas's is a special place! There is no other school comparable in the area. Every child knows each other in the school and they care for one another as well. St. Thomas's is a welcoming community and all the families are really kind and down to earth. Every teacher at this school truly cares about the students and their families. My girls are well prepared to move onto the challenges of middle school academics and socially.
Both our children attended St. Thomas's from kindergarten through 6th grade and both children thrived at the school evolving into lifelong learners who deeply respect others. These valuable lessons were taught at St. Thomas's on a daily basis whether in chapel, the classroom or on the playground. The intimacy of the school is unparalleled- it truly is like a family where every teacher, administrator and the school head know and love your child. And now that our children are both high school and college students, we continue to see the benefits of their formative years at St. Thomas's. Both children are enthusiastic students at top schools but most importantly they are caring, open minding loving human beings and St. Thomas's Day School had much to do with this wonderful outcome!
A life-changing and life-shaping school for my three children. Cannot think of a better place.
The best thing about moving to New Haven from Boston was St. Thomas. It's a wonderful school. It doesn't just give kids a great education, but teaches them to be part of a community. High school teachers in the area told us when we were deciding that St. Thomas kids are special because they're both well prepared and kind. Raising smart kids and good kids mattered to us, and that's what St. Thomas delivered. Our daughter, now at Hopkins, is thriving.
Endorse St. Thomas's Day School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
5 Reasons Why You Might Change Schools
Here are five reasons why you might want to change schools.
2020-21 Best SSAT Prep Courses Reviewed
The SSAT’s questions are different than questions on other standardized tests. Make sure you learn about the best SSAT test prep programs out there.
What A Teacher Does
A teacher wears many hats. Here's a look at her duties and responsibilities.