St. Vincent-St. Mary High School
- St. Vincent-St. Mary High School (STVM) is a four-year, co-educational, college preparatory Catholic high school.
- In June 2017, the Marianist Province of the United States welcomed STVM as a Marianist-sponsored school.
- We are the only STEM-designated Catholic high school in Ohio.
- We have been an integral part of the Akron community for more than 100 years, providing quality education rooted in Catholic faith.
- Our comprehensive, college-preparatory curriculum provides our students with a strong academic and religious foundation that prepares them for college and beyond.
- In the spirit of the Gospel, we are committed to educate the whole person, to lead and serve; enlightening the mind, developing the body, touching the heart, and inspiring the soul.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)|
Other religious school association(s)
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Students receive support based on IEP|
|Total Students||622 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||54 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||12:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||25 students|
|Number of AP Courses||12 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Chemistry, AP Computer Science Principles, AP English: Language and Composition, AP English: Literature and Composition, AP European History, AP Physics 1, AP Physics 2, AP Statistics, AP U.S. Government and Politics, AP U.S. History|
|Average SAT score||1310|
|Average ACT score||23|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(STVM uniform shirt/slacks/school shoes)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$10,750|
|Tuition Notes||We offer one-payment, two-payment, four-payment and monthly payment plans.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$4,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Amy Barcelo|
|Admissions Associate||Courtney Conley|
|Total Sports Offered||16 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Bowling, Cheering, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Gymnastics, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Football,
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||56 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Academic Challenge Team, Academic World Quest, Book Club, Chinese Club, Class Officers, CSI Academic Club, Environmental Conservation Club, Eucharistic Ministers, French Club, Fun in Engineering Club, Future Medics, Irish Athletes for Christ, Irish Dance Team, Irish Spirit Squad, Journalism, Junior Statesmen of America, Lectors and Altar Servers, Math Team, Mock Trial, Model United Nations (MUN), Mu Alpha Theta (Math Honor Society), Multi-Cultural Club, NASA/Student Launch Initiative, National Honor Society (NHS), Peer Ministry, Power of the Pen, Right to Life Club, Robotics Team, Rocket Team, Russian Club, Science Inquiry Team, Spanish Club, St. Brigid's Fire, St. Joseph of Arimathea Society, STEM/U of Akron Science Inquiry Team, Student Council, Technology Team, Yearbook Staff
Arts and Music Programs:
Art Club, Concert Choir, Dance Troupe, Dramatic Mystery Dinner, Fall Play, International Thespian Society, Jazz Band, Liturgical Choir, Marching Band, Men's Ensemble, Pep Band, Pit Orchestra, Show Choir, Spring Musical, Symphonic Band, Symphonic Choir, Women's Ensemble
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Ski and Snowboard Club
- St. Vincent-St. Mary (STVM) is a Catholic, co-educational, college preparatory high school located just west of downtown Akron, OH.
- STVM was founded in 1972 after a merger of two prominent parish high schools, St. Mary founded in 1897 and St. Vincent founded in 1906.
- STVM became a Marianist-sponsored school in June of 2017.
- STVM is the only STEM-designated Catholic high school in Ohio.
- STVM is a welcoming community drawn from a five county region; students enroll from Catholic elementary schools, as well as private and public middle schools. Most students enroll as incoming freshmen, although transfers are also considered for admission.
- STVM is chartered by the State of Ohio as a College Prep School and is accredited by The Ohio Catholic School Accrediting Assoication and AdvancED/North Central Association Commission on Schools.
- 70% of STVM faculty hold advanced degrees; the faculty also has an average of 15 years of teaching experience.
- 97% of graduates are college-bound; 70% percent of the Class of 2018 earned over $14 million in college scholarships.
- Approximately 50% of students receive some form of tuition assistance: scholarships and/or financial aid.
- A vibrant Campus Ministry program enables students to live their faith daily and participate in liturgies, retreats, peer ministry, community outreach, and our annual Mission Trip.
- Students are required to take four years of theology and complete 100 hours of Christian community service over four years. In 2017-2018, students amassed over 27,000 service hours.
- STVM offers 12 AP courses as well as many honors level courses which earn weighted grades in terms of students' GPA's. In 2018, 38 students qualified as AP Scholars (earning a score of 3 or higher on at least 3 AP exams), and 1 student qualified as a National AP Scholar (earning an average score of at least 4 on all AP Exams taken, and scores of 4 or higher on eight or more of these exams).
- Technology is integrated across the curriculum; all students are issued Chromebooks to facilitate their learning.
- STVM offers four years of four world languages: Spanish, French, Chinese, and Russian; students also have opportunities to travel to foreign countries to experience the culture and demonstrate their language skills.
- STVM students participate in over 50 extra-curricular clubs and organizations. There is something for everyone at STVM.
- STVM has been designated an "All-American Model United Nations School," 1 of only 24 schools in the nation to earn this designation.
- STVM Rocket Team was selected as 1 of only 12 high schools in the nation to participate in the NASA Student Launch Initiative.
- Students have the opportunity to explore the concepts of permaculture and environmental science in our STVM Victory Garden, a living, growing outdoor classroom.
- Students actively participate in award-winning fine arts programs in visual art, music, dance, and drama.
- Male and female students may each choose from a total of 26 varsity sports - 13 for males and 13 for females. STVM athletic teams have won 2 National titles, 31 state team championships, and 34 individual state titles. In 2018, 18 seniors signed letters of intent for 9 different collegiate sports.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Fitchburg Grades: 6-10 | 35 students
171 South St
Fitchburg, MA 01420
(978)343-7635 510.7 6-10
- Dorchester Grades: 7-12 | 1539 students
150 William T Morrissey Blvd
Dorchester, MA 02125
(617)474-5010 546.7 7-12
- Marion Grades: 9-12 | 538 students
66 Spring Street
Marion, MA 02738
(508)748-2000 558.7 9-12
You have just heard about a new private school opening soon in your area. Should you consider sending your child there? A look at the pros and cons of such a decision.
If you know the answers to all these questions, you probably teach or work in a private school. Be that as it may, these questions contain links with the answers.
As you evaluate schools, take time to explore fully what the schools which you are looking at teach.