St Vincent-St Mary High School
- St. Vincent - St. Mary High School (STVM) is a four-year, co-educational, college preparatory Catholic high school.
- We have been an integral part of the Akron community for more than 100 years, providing quality education rooted in Catholic faith.
- Our comprehensive, college-preparatory curriculum provides our students with a strong academic and religious foundation that prepares them for college and beyond.
- In the spirit of the Gospel, we are committed to educate the whole person, to lead and serve; enlightening the mind, developing the body, touching the heart, and inspiring the soul.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)
Other religious school association(s)
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Students receive support based on IEP|
|Total Students||655 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 21%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||53 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||12:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||25 students|
|Number of AP Courses||12 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Chemistry, AP Computer Science Principles, AP English: Language and Composition, AP English: Literature and Composition, AP European History, AP Physics 1, AP Physics 2, AP Statistics, AP U.S. Government and Politics, AP U.S. History,|
|Average SAT score||1200|
|Average ACT score||24|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
(STVM uniform shirt/slacks/school shoes)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$10,150|
|Tuition Notes||We offer one-payment, two-payment, four-payment and monthly payment plans.|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$4,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Joanne Wiseman|
|Admissions Associate||Amy Bisesi|
|Total Sports Offered||15 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Bowling, Cheering, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Gymnastics, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,
Cross Country, Football,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||49 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Academic Challenge Team, Art Club, Chinese Club, Class Officers, Concert Choir, Dance Troupe, Dramatic Mystery Dinner, Environmental Conservation Club, Eucharistic Ministers, Fall Play, French Club, Fun in Engineering Club, Future Medics, International Thespian Society, Irish Athletes for Christ, Irish Dance Team, Irish Spirit Squad, Jazz Band, Journalism, Lectors and Altar Servers, Liturgical Choir, Marching Band, Math Team, Men's Ensemble, Mock Trial, Model United Nations (MUN), Mu Alpha Theta (Math Honor Society), Multi-Cultural Club, National Honor Society (NHS), Peer Ministry, Pep Band, Pit Orchestra, Right to Life Club, Robotics Team, Rocket Team, Russian Club, STEM/U of Akron Science Inquiry Team, Show Choir, Ski and Snowboard Club, Spanish Club, Spring Musical, St. Brigid's Fire, St. Joseph of Arimathea Society, Student Council, Symphonic Band, Symphonic Choir, Technology Team, Women's Ensemble, Yearbook Staff Art Club, Chinese Club, Class Officers, Concert Choir, Dance Troupe, Fall Play, French Club, Future Medics, Jazz Band, Journalism, Marching Band, Math Team, Men's Ensemble, Mock Trial, Peer Ministry, Pep Band, Pit Orchestra, Robotics Team, Rocket Team, Russian Club, Show Choir, Spanish Club, Spring Musical, Symphonic Band, Yearbook Staff, Academic Challenge Team,
Dramatic Mystery Dinner,
Environmental Conservation Club,
Fun in Engineering Club,
International Thespian Society,
Irish Athletes for Christ,
Irish Dance Team,
Irish Spirit Squad,
Lectors and Altar Servers,
Model United Nations (MUN),
Mu Alpha Theta (Math Honor Society),
National Honor Society (NHS),
Right to Life Club,
STEM/U of Akron Science Inquiry Team,
Ski and Snowboard Club,
St. Brigid's Fire,
St. Joseph of Arimathea Society,
- St. Vincent-St. Mary (STVM) is a Catholic, co-educational, college preparatory high school located just west of downtown Akron, OH.
- STVM was founded in 1972 after a merger of two prominent parish high schools, St. Mary founded in 1897 and St. Vincent founded in 1906.
- STVM is currently in the discernment process to affiliate with The Marianists.
- STVM is a welcoming community drawn from a five county region; students enroll from Catholic elementary schools, as well as private and public middle schools. Most students enroll as incoming freshmen, although transfers are also considered for admission.
- STVM is chartered by the State of Ohio as a College Prep School and is accredited by The Ohio Catholic School Accrediting Assoication and AdvancED/North Central Association Commission on Schools.
- Over 65% of STVM facultyhold advanced degrees; the faculty also has an average of 16 years of teaching experience.
- Ninety-seven percent of graduates are college-bound; sevnty-one percent of the Class of 2016 earned $13 million in college scholarships.
- Approximately 50% of the students receive some form of tuition assistance: scholarships and/or financial aid.
- A vibrant Campus Ministry program enables students to live their fiath daily and participate in liturgies, retreats, peer ministry, community outreach, and our annual Mission Trip.
- Students are required to take four years of theology and complete 100 hours of Christian community service over four years. In 2015-2016, students amassed over 23,000 service hours.
- STVM offers 12 AP courses as well as many honors level courses which earn weighted grades in terms of students' GPA's. In 2016, thirty-one students qualified as AP Scholars, earning a score of 3 or higher on at least 3 AP exams.
- Technology is integrated across the curriculum; all students are issued Chromebooks to facilitate their learning.
- STVM offers four years of four world languages: Spanish, French, Chinese, and Russian; students also have opportunities to travel to foreign countries to experience the culture and demonstrate their language skills.
- STVM students participate in over 50 extra-curricular clubs and organizations. There is something for everyone at STVM.
- STVM has been designated an "All-American Model United Nations School," one of only 24 schools in the nation to earn this designation.
- STVM Rocket Team was selected as one of only 12 high schools in the nation to participate in the NASA Student Launch Initiative.
- Students have the opportunity to explore the concepts of permaculture and environmental science in our STVM Victory Garden, a living, growing outdoor classroom.
- Students actively participate in award-winning fine arts programs in visual art, music, dance, and drama.
- Male and female students may each choose from a total of twenty-four varsity sports - twelve for males and twelve for females. STVM athletic teams have won 31 state team championships and 27 individual state titles. In 2016, 25 seniors signed letters of intent for collegiate sports.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
FitchburgGrades: 7-12 | 32 students
171 South St
Fitchburg, MA 01420
StowGrades: 9-12 | 1068 students
4550 Wyoga Lake Road
Stow, OH 44224
NewarkGrades: 7-12 | 558 students
520 Martin Luther King Jr Blvd
Newark, NJ 07102
WolfeboroGrades: 9-12 | 358 students
80 Academy Drive
Wolfeboro, NH 03894
RockvilleGrades: 6-12 | 60 students
5100 Randolph Road
Rockville, MD 20852
July 20, 2017
July 12, 2017
Here are five facts about Montessori schools to bear in mind when exploring preschools and primary schools for your child.
July 12, 2017
What are the advantages and/or disadvantages of a for profit versus a not for profit school? Is one kind of school better than the other?