Staunton Montessori School
Staunton Montessori School Photo #2 - Children find learning in a Montessori environment comfortable, enjoyable and engaging. The materials are designed to be motivating and compatible with how the brain works at each age. Children are naturally curious and inclined toward self-management; these characteristics are fostered in a Montessori classroom, developing into a work ethic that is notable among Montessori students.
- Staunton Montessori School respects the mind, imagination, and spirit of each student.
- Grounded in the philosophy of Maria Montessori, we create an environment where children are empowered to fulfill their academic, personal and social potential.
Staunton Montessori School places among the top 20% of private schools in Virginia for:
- Category Attribute
- Affordability Least expensive tuition
- Acceptance Rate Lowest average acceptance rates
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Association Montessori International (AMI)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-9|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$150|
|Summer Program Cost Notes||$95-$175 a week for 3-5 year olds $150-$215 a week for elementary Aftercare|
|Total Students||126 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 26%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||12 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||11:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||25 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Apr. 15 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$5,010|
|Tuition Notes||K $6621 Elementary $7797 Adolescent $8702|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Kelley Flanders|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||2 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||After School Art, Glee Club|
- Staunton Montessori's ProgramsPrimary
- The goals for our Primary students are fundamental: to acquire confidence in themselves and an independence of thought and action. These three- to six-year-olds work alone or in small groups, receiving lessons from the teacher and each other. Staunton Montessori School has two primary classrooms. Children who are 3 and toilet trained are accepted into the primary program. The primary day begins at 8:15 a.m. The primary children in the preschool program dismiss at 11:45 a.m. each day and the afternoon children in the extended day program remain until 2:45 p.m.
- Students in the Elementary program continue their growth toward independence, responsibility, and becoming contributing members of society. There are two elementary classrooms at SMS: Traditional grades 1-3 (ages 6-9) and grades 4-6 (ages 9-12). The students in each class work alone or in small groups as they receive lessons from the teacher. Much of the work in the first three years uses manipulative materials, where in the second three-year cycle the students produce more concrete work in the form of papers and projects. The teacher guides the students to explore all areas of the classroom including language, math, geometry, botany, geography, history, music and physical education. One afternoon a week our Elementary students have specials which expand the curriculum. The day begins at 8:15 a.m. and dismisses at 3:00 p.m.
- The Adolescent program serves students in grades 7-9 (ages 12-15) following the recommendations of Dr. Maria Montessori by providing a hands-on, project-based learning experience embedded in the rural communities of central Virginia. The adolescent day starts at 8:15 a.m. and dismisses at 3:00 p.m. with local farm and adventure trips planned throughout the academic year.
- SMS offers an Aftercare program each day for our students during the school year with flexible pick-up times. Additional spaces, and three and five-day fee schedules allow for more flexibility. Morning students who stay for aftercare enjoy lunchtime, a rest period, organized activities, and a snack period. Elementary aftercare is also available from 3-6 p.m., with a snack period included.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Verona Grades: PK-5 | 310 students
74 Quicks Mill Rd
Verona, VA 24482
(540)248-2404 7.6 PK-5
The Seattle area is home to many fine private schools as well as to major companies such as Microsoft, Boeing and Starbucks.
Religion is important to you. You want your children to be educated in a school where your religion matters.
The COVID-19 has turned our lives upside down. Sending your children back to school raises all sorts of concerns for their safety and education. We answer some of your questions here.