Stuart Hall School
5.00 (2 reviews)
Tel: (540) 885-0356
- Stuart Hall School is a college-preparatory, coed day school for students in grades Pre-K through 12 and boarding in grades 8-12.
- The school is comprised of two campuses in the heart of the Shenandoah Valley with the Middle and Upper Schools located in Staunton, and the Hunter McGuire Lower School located in Verona.
- Founded in 1844, Stuart Hall School is one of the oldest Episcopal schools in Virginia.
- At Stuart Hall, students are challenged, stimulated, inspired, supported, encouraged, and applauded for hard work and commitment to academic excellence.
- 100% college acceptance and a signature Fine Arts Emphasis Program make Stuart Hall the premier school Pre-K - 12 in the Shenandoah Valley.
Stuart Hall School places among the top 20% of private schools in Virginia for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
- Student Body Largest student body
- School History Oldest founding date
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Virginia Association of Independent Schools (VAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-12|
|Total Students||312 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 26%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||37 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Number of AP Courses||12 courses|
|Average SAT score||1280|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(collared shirts, khaki and black pants, skirts)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$14,500|
|Tuition Notes||Pre-K Day: $7400; Lower School Day:$9950; Middle School Day: $11850; Upper School Day: $14500; 7 day Boarding: $44500; International Boarding: $44500; 5 day Boarding: $31000|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$5,800|
|Admissions Director||Samantha Hughes|
|Admissions Associate||Courtney Miller|
|Total Sports Offered||6 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, VolleyballBasketball, Cheering,|
Cross Country, Golf,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||6 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Clubs, Community Service, ELA, Music, Theater, Visual Art|
- Stuart Hall School is a college-preparatory, coed day school for students in grades Pre-K-12 and boarding in grades 8-12. The school is comprised of two campuses in the heart of the Shenandoah Valley with the Middle and Upper Schools located in Staunton, and the Hunter McGuire Lower School located in Verona. Founded in 1844, Stuart Hall School is one of the oldest Episcopal schools in Virginia. At Stuart Hall, students are challenged, stimulated, inspired, supported, encouraged, and applauded for hard work and commitment to academic excellence.
- Fine Arts Emphasis Program in either Visual Art, Theater or Music
- 100% college acceptance
- Competitive Athletics
- Vibrant, safe, supportive boarding community
- Honor Code community
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Charlottesville Grades: 8-12 | 169 students
1000 Samuel Miller Loop
Charlottesville, VA 22903
(434) 823-4805 22.2 8-12
- Charlottesville Grades: PK-12
2132 Ivy Road
Charlottesville, VA 22903
(434) 296-5106 31.3 PK-12
- Courtland Grades: PK-12 | 479 students
26495 Old Plank Rd
Courtland, VA 23837
(757) 653-2512 149 PK-12
- Exmore Grades: PK-12 | 313 students
3500 Broadwater Rd
Exmore, VA 23350
(757) 442-9041 182.2 PK-12
I am a friend of the school. This excellent K -12 day and boarding school has been called "the best school in Virginia's Shenandoah Valley" and with good reason. It combines a rigorous academic life with a positive community spirit - mixing international students from around the world with Virginia boys and girls. It is global in scope, yet has a heart for the individual. One need only visit to sense that this is a gem, a school any parent would want in its child's life! Roger Bowen
- Posted by Student/Alumni - proge
I am the parent of a current student (9th grade) and an alum (2009 graduate) who is pursuing an accelerated Masters degree from the University of Virginia. The school has been an absolute treasure for both of my daughters. With excellent academics, small class sizes, and a rigorous but fair curriculum, Stuart Hall has taught both of my daughters to "love learning" instead of just "teaching to the test." They have both taken advantage of the numerous extracurricular activities as well. The school embodies the concept of "mind, body, heart, and spirit" in everything it does. There is a very cohesive and family-like atmosphere which is safe, supportive and nurturing. It is not "cool" to be unprepared academically at Stuart Hall and there are plenty of resources to guarantee success. In fact, there is a 100% college admission rate to colleges and universities, many top-names. Staunton, VA is a small, beautiful town of about 24,000 people in the heart of the Shenandoah Valley with easy access to a large variety of cultural venues, mountains and outdoor recreation. The town's small size and Stuart Hall's location right in the middle of it adds to its convenience. Staunton's location just 2.5 hours from Washington, DC and 1.5 hours to Richmond makes large city opportunities easily accessible as well without the large city traffic and inconvenience. I cannot say enough about how Stuart Hall has blessed my daughters and my family!
- Posted by Parent - elase
If you live outside the United States, choosing an American private school can be a confusing process. Here is an overview of the process.
Many people thought vouchers would never amount to much. Not only have they amounted to a great deal more than anybody could have thought, but vouchers have encouraged several more education choices to flourish.
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?