Tel: (415) 922-6081
- Sterne School has been successfully educating students with learning differences for over 40 years.
- Located in San Francisco, Sterne offers a small, personal environment serving grades 4 -12.
- With a student-to-teacher ratio of 8 to 1, our experienced staff understands the many learning styles of our students and differentiates the program to fit each student style. This individualized approach allows students to focus on their academics while forming lasting relationships.
- We build confidence in our students which in turn creates independent, successful, life-long learners.
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
|Grades Offered||Grades 4-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||mild to moderate learning differences|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$1,700|
|Summer Program Cost Notes||All-day program in June-July|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||215 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 45%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||30 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Average ACT score||20|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$35,525|
|Tuition Notes||Grades 4-8 $37,300 Grades 9-12 $39,800|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$19,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Alia Long|
|Admissions Associate||Joanne Scheinholtz|
|Endowment Size||$0.500 million|
|Total Sports Offered||8 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Flag Football, Indoor Soccer, Paddle Tennis, Swimming, Track and Field, VolleyballBasketball, Cross Country,|
Flag Football, Indoor Soccer,
Paddle Tennis, Swimming,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
- Sterne School's program is designed to:
- Create an individualized academic program specific to the learning style of each student
- Foster confident, independent, and organized learners
- Teach critical thinking strategies and technology skills
- Teach study skills and strategies to meet deadlines
- Counsel students to be self-advocates
- Special Features:
- Each student receives an individualized learning profile that identifies strengths and targets academic goals. Individual and small group work focuses on organizational skills, reading and writing, fluency, advanced study and thinking skills, and social awareness.
- All grades use a one-to-one iPad program. In addition we have mobile laptop stations located on each floor. Computer applications and research skills are integrated into the program. Assistive Technology (AT) includes Kurzweil, Dragon Naturally Speaking, and Inspiration.
- Students are assigned homework they can do independently, and their success is monitored closely by classroom teachers and the homeroom teacher.
- Students also enjoy daily physical education and elective classes including music, art, drama, movie making, computer programming, urban hiking, bowling, and drawing and cartooning.
- College & Career Counseling:
- High School students participate in the Colleges and Careers Program designed to facilitate internships and community service with the goal of enabling success during the transition from high school to college or career.
- In Colleges and Careers, our college counselor works closely with students and their families in the college search process. This begins in Freshman year and each year has its own goals. Students research and explore different colleges and are guided through the process from ACT prep to writing essays and filling out applications. For students who prefer to secure employment before moving on to college, our counselor works with them on job skills, from learning how to successfully interview to leads on weekend and summer job opportunities. All students share in the learning process for job skills, essential skills that will be helpful before and after college.
- An integral component of Colleges and Careers is an experientially-based high school program that lets students use their multiple intelligences in core disciplines. Students pick a discipline they are passionate about such as photography, fashion design, or computers, find a mentor/expert, do research, integrate other academic disciplines, and then deliver a presentation. Many students discover that one of these passions is what they'd like to focus on in college or as a career; therefore, the passage serves as a stepping stone from high school to adulthood.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- San Francisco Grades: 6-12 | 55 students
1160 Battery Street, Suite 40
San Francisco, CA 94111
(415) 765-9078 2.2 6-12
- San Francisco Grades: 9-12 | 420 students
1563 Page St
San Francisco, CA 94117
(415) 626-2919 1.5 9-12
- San Francisco Grades: 9-12 | 490 students
755 Ocean Ave
San Francisco, CA 94112
(415) 333-4021 4.8 9-12
If you live outside the United States, choosing an American private school can be a confusing process. Here is an overview of the process.
Many people thought vouchers would never amount to much. Not only have they amounted to a great deal more than anybody could have thought, but vouchers have encouraged several more education choices to flourish.
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?