- School Type: School with Special Program Emphasis
- Grades: 4-12
- Students: 215 students
- Yearly Tuition: $35,525
- Acceptance rate: 80%
- Average class size: 12 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
Academics and Faculty
Finances and Admission
- Sterne School's program is designed to:
- Create an individualized academic program specific to the learning style of each student
- Foster confident, independent, and organized learners
- Teach critical thinking strategies and technology skills
- Teach study skills and strategies to meet deadlines
- Counsel students to be self-advocates
- Special Features:
- Each student receives an individualized learning profile that identifies strengths and targets academic goals. Individual and small group work focuses on organizational skills, reading and writing, fluency, advanced study and thinking skills, and social awareness.
- All grades use a one-to-one iPad program. In addition we have mobile laptop stations located on each floor. Computer applications and research skills are integrated into the program. Assistive Technology (AT) includes Kurzweil, Dragon Naturally Speaking, and Inspiration.
- Students are assigned homework they can do independently, and their success is monitored closely by classroom teachers and the homeroom teacher.
- Students also enjoy daily physical education and elective classes including music, art, drama, movie making, computer programming, urban hiking, bowling, and drawing and cartooning.
- College & Career Counseling:
- High School students participate in the Colleges and Careers Program designed to facilitate internships and community service with the goal of enabling success during the transition from high school to college or career.
- In Colleges and Careers, our college counselor works closely with students and their families in the college search process. This begins in Freshman year and each year has its own goals. Students research and explore different colleges and are guided through the process from ACT prep to writing essays and filling out applications. For students who prefer to secure employment before moving on to college, our counselor works with them on job skills, from learning how to successfully interview to leads on weekend and summer job opportunities. All students share in the learning process for job skills, essential skills that will be helpful before and after college.
- An integral component of Colleges and Careers is an experientially-based high school program that lets students use their multiple intelligences in core disciplines. Students pick a discipline they are passionate about such as photography, fashion design, or computers, find a mentor/expert, do research, integrate other academic disciplines, and then deliver a presentation. Many students discover that one of these passions is what they'd like to focus on in college or as a career; therefore, the passage serves as a stepping stone from high school to adulthood.
Endorse Sterne School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards