5.00 (1 review)
- Thank you for your interest in Summit Schools! Summit Schools is an alternative to public and parochial education, but even more than that, we are a close knit community whose mission is to challenge the educational growth of each individual child.
- As the only independent, non-denominational school in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, we enjoy our unique position and are proud of the progress our students make individually and as a whole.
- Our students excel because of our high expectations, multi-sensory approach to teaching and learning, and attention to the individual needs and gifts of each child.
- Families select Summit Schools for their children because they place a high value on education.
- Our dedicated faculty continuously strives to meet the challenge of preparing students for the future in an ever-changing world and collectively create an excellent educational program that allows students to become confident, independent thinkers who demonstrate a love for learning throughout their lives.
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Dyslexia|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||94 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 13%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||11 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$8,715|
|Tuition Notes||Please call for pricing specific to age and grade level|
|Admissions Director||Larisa Bickel|
|Admissions Associate||Kathleen Reinwart|
- Summit Schools is a place where children love to come to school! Not only can you see that in the classrooms, but you can also feel it when you walk through the doors and around the halls. Families come to pick up and drop off their children daily with smiles on their faces and satisfaction in their hearts. Summit Schools is an independent, coeducational PreK-8th grade school located in Cedar Rapids, Iowa dedicated to the educational and social development of children. It is an alternative to public and parochial education. As the only independent school in the metropolitan area, we enjoy our unique position and are proud of the progress our students make individually and as a whole. Summit is accredited by the Iowa Department of Education. It is governed by a Board of Trustees comprised of parents and community leaders and supported by active parent volunteers that guide and coordinate parents` efforts to enhance and support Summit`s educational program. Founded in June 1998, Summit offers a strong academic program that is traditional and well-rounded, continuing to build upon the quality educational foundation established by Linn Academy and McLeod Academy. Language arts, math, science and social studies are balanced by a complementary curriculum in music, art, physical education and Spanish. Computers and technology are fully integrated into the daily learning of all students while character development and service learning enrich the core program. Summit`s mission is to challenge educational growth through personalized instruction and innovative teaching. This is accomplished by providing a safe and nurturing environment that allows students to progress at a pace and level appropriate to their needs. Small class sizes and individualized attention helps to create confident learners while fostering intellectual curiosity, reasoning skills and creativity. Summit serves 95 students in our traditional school setting with 16 students per class max. Classrooms are organized in order for students to receive personalized instruction from teachers in small classes. Identifying the strengths and weaknesses of each student and putting in place a plan to move each child forward is part of the unique Summit experience. Summit`s curriculum is structured, yet has the flexibility to accommodate the special interests and skills of both students and teachers. Families select Summit Schools for their children because they place a high value on education. Summit`s dedicated faculty continuously strives to meet the challenge of preparing students for the future in an ever-changing world and collectively create an excellent educational program that allows students to become confident, independent thinkers who demonstrate a love for learning throughout their lives. Summit strives to involve students in community service. We feel that students gain a better understanding of themselves, the world in which they live, and the opportunity and responsibility they have to improve both. Through opportunities in our Yet Another Learning Experience (Y.A.L.E.) program and student and staff projects, service to the community is tied to both our curriculum and to activities in our community. We assist students in developing lifelong habits of thinking and action that lead to lives as responsible world citizens. In addition to its PreK-8th grade private school program, Summit provides intensive year-round individual and small group tutoring to anyone in the metropolitan area. Through the use of a multi-sensory approach to learning, certified tutors are able to create individualized sessions that are action-oriented with auditory, visual and kinesthetic elements reinforcing each other for optimal learning. Most Summit tutors specialize in the Orton-Gillingham method of teaching reading. Summit also has a tradition of offering rich and exciting summer school opportunities that serve over 200 students in the metropolitan area each summer. Summit`s camps are fun, recreational and educational programs open to children PreK-6th grade. In addition to the basics (reading, writing and math), and the most popular art, science and foreign language camps, we offer a "Healthy Lifestyles and Recreation Camp," which includes lots of indoor and outdoor fun. Students may choose a half-day camp for a week or several camps for up to 8 weeks of all-day learning and fun. Summit also partners up with other local organizations and professionals and offers Learning Extensions Camps that are open to all area PreK-6th grade students on school district in-service days.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Cedar Rapids Grades: NS-12 | 202 students
3636 Cottage Grove Ave Se
Cedar Rapids, IA 52403
(319)366-7462 2.6 NS-12
- Plainsboro Grades: K | 134 students
666 Plainsboro Rd Building 2100
Plainsboro, NJ 08536
(609)799-6668 894 K
My daughter has gone to Summit for preschool, pre k and now kindergarten. She has done so well compared to children of parents involved with other local schools. She is reading ahead of her age and also excelling with mathematic skills. She also enjoys the schools Y.A.L.E. learning program that exposes students to new activities. The teachers and administrators go that extra mile every chance then can. They show a real caring for the children and their individual needs. We highly recommend Summit School to everyone looking for giving their child a great start at their education. We hope the school expands into the middle school ages of 6th through 8th grades soon.
- Posted by Parent - qcfmi
This hub page lists over three dozen articles dealing with issues in high school such as academics and discipline.
Seemingly never-ending school shootings prompted me to find out whether private schools were safer than public schools. Some answers and opinions on the matter here.
We look at ways in which your small to medium-sized private school can use social media to make families past, present, and future aware of your school.