Sunset Hills Montessori School
- At SHMS we are committed to recognizing and cultivating the uniqueness of each individual child.
- We have a community of educators, and wonderful families, that have chosen SHMS because of a shared vision for early childhood and elementary education.
- This community, fostered through high teacher retention and involved families, supports each child during this critical time of development in a dynamic Montessori environment.
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||American Montessori Society (AMS)|
Other school association(s)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-6|
|Total Students||172 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||14 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||12:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||25 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Tuitions range between 9,300-12,900 dependent on the program|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Katherine Talamantes|
|Admissions Associate||Kristie Meixner|
- Building on the foundation laid by Maria Montessori, our goals are:
- To provide a safe, nurturing, academically stimulating environment where exploration and discovery are an everyday experience,
- To offer a staff that is dedicated to inspiring each student to realize his or her potential,
- To foster independence of thought, and a tolerance for the ideas, beliefs and cultures of other peoples,
- To assist in the development of a sense of responsibility and awareness of the individual and the community,
- To give children a joy of learning that will last a lifetime, and
- To work in partnership with parents to create a caring school community where the child comes first, education is celebrated, and each student gains the skills and knowledge that will lead to a productive, creative, satisfying life.
- Sunset Hills Montessori School celebrates its 22nd anniversary this fall. The school founder, Eileen Minarik, continues to be a strong voice for early childhood and elementary education in the Washington region. Please contact us for details about our programs and to explore Montessori education for your child.
Profile last updated: 06/13/2016
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- AlexandriaGrades: PK-6 | 97 students
6300 Florence Ln
Alexandria, VA 22310
- HerndonGrades: K-8 | 591 students
750 Peachtree Street
Herndon, VA 20170
- Mc LeanGrades: PK-6 | 239 students
1711 Kirby Road
Mc Lean, VA 22101
- AlexandriaGrades: PK-6 | 128 students
8334 Mount Vernon Hwy
Alexandria, VA 22309
- Fairfax StationGrades: 1-7 | 43 students
Po Box 130
Fairfax Station, VA 22039
January 08, 2018
Changes to the Tax Code in late 2017 included the addition of saving for K-12 private school education to 529 plans. We take a look at what this means for families thinking about private school for their children.
January 07, 2018
From time to time we all wonder how things might have turned out if circumstances and situations had been different. We apply that questioning to private schools.
December 27, 2017
Hundreds of private schools, and for that matter, public schools, outside the United States will be happy to have you as a teacher for a few years.