- At SHMS we are committed to recognizing and cultivating the uniqueness of each individual child.
- We have a community of educators, and wonderful families, that have chosen SHMS because of a shared vision for early childhood and elementary education.
- This community, fostered through high teacher retention and involved families, supports each child during this critical time of development in a dynamic Montessori environment.
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||American Montessori Society (AMS)
Other school association(s)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-6|
|Total Students||172 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||14 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||12:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||25 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Tuitions range between 9,300-12,900 dependent on the program|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Admissions Director||Katherine Talamantes|
|Admissions Associate||Kristie Meixner|
- Building on the foundation laid by Maria Montessori, our goals are:
- To provide a safe, nurturing, academically stimulating environment where exploration and discovery are an everyday experience,
- To offer a staff that is dedicated to inspiring each student to realize his or her potential,
- To foster independence of thought, and a tolerance for the ideas, beliefs and cultures of other peoples,
- To assist in the development of a sense of responsibility and awareness of the individual and the community,
- To give children a joy of learning that will last a lifetime, and
- To work in partnership with parents to create a caring school community where the child comes first, education is celebrated, and each student gains the skills and knowledge that will lead to a productive, creative, satisfying life.
- Sunset Hills Montessori School celebrates its 22nd anniversary this fall. The school founder, Eileen Minarik, continues to be a strong voice for early childhood and elementary education in the Washington region. Please contact us for details about our programs and to explore Montessori education for your child.
Profile last updated: 06/13/2016
- School Location Miles Grades Students
AlexandriaGrades: PK-5 | 97 students
6300 Florence Ln
Alexandria, VA 22310
HerndonGrades: K-8 | 591 students
750 Peachtree Street
Herndon, VA 20170
10800 Parkridge Blvd.
Reston, VA 20191
RestonGrades: PK-4 | 280 students
1928 Isaac Newton Sq W
Reston, VA 20190
Mc LeanGrades: PK-6 | 239 students
1711 Kirby Road
Mc Lean, VA 22101
April 21, 2017
Making your job application easy to read will help your application make the first cut.
April 20, 2017
Private high schools offer strong college counseling programs which are ongoing and fully integrated into the daily activities.
April 19, 2017
As you narrow the field in your private school search process, you will develop a short list of three to five schools which you will evaluate in detail. Visiting each school is an essential part of your due diligence.