The Academy @ Metropolitan School of the Arts
5.00 (2 reviews)
Tel: (703) 339-0444
- The Academy intends to begin Fall 2020 with a hybrid schedule. We are working dilligently to bring our students back to campus in a safe and responsible manner.
- We are a groundbreaking independent school located just south of Washington, DC, serving students in grades 7-12.
- The Academy at Metropolitan School of the Arts prepares students for a rewarding future in college, career and life by offering an accredited college preparatory academic program alongside a conservatory style performing arts training program in the areas of dance, music, theater and general arts.
- We achieve excellence in arts and academic education through a unique approach to teaching and learning.
- Our methodology encourages a nurturing, supportive and inspiring culture where students earn the confidence to propel themselves toward reaching their highest potential.
- Students Adjust as Performing Arts Classes Move Online - 04/20/2020 - A feature on The Academy's transition to (graded!) virtual classes in Spring 2020.
- Dance Instructor Helps His Students Balance on their Toes . . . and their Lives. - 02/13/2020 - A highlight of one of our faculty, Roger Jeffrey. His choreography for the Academy ensemble won Best Choreography at the Youth America Grand Prix Semi-Finals in Winston-Salem in 2020 and ...morestudents qualified for the YAGP finals in NYC. hide
- Local Performing Arts Students get Schooled by DC and Broadway Star Kevin McAllister - 01/27/2020 - Kevin McAllister taught a Master Class as part of the January 2020 Open House. He worked with current MSA students and provided advice for potential students.
The Academy @ Metropolitan School of the Arts places among the top 20% of private schools in Virginia for:
- Category Attribute
- Acceptance Rate Lowest average acceptance rates
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
- AP Courses Most AP courses offered
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades 7-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Mild Learning Differences|
|Total Students||26 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 26%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||18 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||1:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||8 students|
|Number of AP Courses||19 courses|
|Advanced Courses||Art History, Biology, Calculus, Chemistry, English Language and Composition, English Literature and Composition, Environmental Science, European History, French Language and Culture, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Physics, Psychology, Spanish Language, Statistics, US Government and Politics, US History, World History|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$22,300|
|Tuition Notes||Grades 7-8 = $18,750 Grades 9-12 = $22,300 Total varies based upon academic course selection.|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Louise Hislop|
|Total Sports Offered||2 sports|
|Sports||Ballet, DanceBallet, Dance,|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||5 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Arts and Music Programs:|
Acting and Theater, Dance, Music Lessons, Music Theater, Vocal Music and Vocal Performance
- Metropolitan School of the Arts is a the only private performing arts high school in the Washington, DC area. Each year, we offer training in dance, music and theater to some of the nation`s most inquisitive, curious and motivated young artists. We offer a middle school program for students in grades 7-8 and a conservatory style training program for grades 9-12.
- All students will be surrounded and supported by equally passionate and invested students, facutly, visiting artists, and staff, with whom they`ll collaborate and learn in the classroom, the studio, and on stage. Our dedicated faculty members are seasoned professionals who are deeply connected to the performing arts community in Washington, D.C. and beyond. With their guidance, students perfect their skills and develop a framework for understanding both their craft and the vital role that arts play in enriching cultures and strengthening communities.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Montgomery Grades: PK-12 | 290 students
2328 Fairlane Dr
Montgomery, AL 36116
(334) 213-0803 677.1 PK-12
My child has attended the Academy for 4 years and it has been such a blessing for our family. She has learned how to work hard in academics and her arts classes. She has learned how to work with and support those around her. She has learned how to combine grit with social responsibility.
- Posted by Parent - MM
My daughter graduated from the Academy at MSA in 2017 and is thriving in the performing arts college of her choice with a 3.9 GPA! MSA is a fabulous pre-professional conservatory school.
- Posted by Parent - Kathi
If you live outside the United States, choosing an American private school can be a confusing process. Here is an overview of the process.
Many people thought vouchers would never amount to much. Not only have they amounted to a great deal more than anybody could have thought, but vouchers have encouraged several more education choices to flourish.
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?