The Alexander Dawson School at Rainbow Mountain
5.00 (8 reviews)
Tel: (702) 949-3600
The Alexander Dawson School at Rainbow Mountain Photo #2 - Middle school students enjoy the new playground in their recess area.
The Alexander Dawson School at Rainbow Mountain Photo #3 - An up-close look at the produce from the Ruffin Organic Garden.
- Located in Summerlin, a suburb of Las Vegas, Nevada, The Alexander Dawson School at Rainbow Mountain is a non-sectarian, non-profit independent school offering students in preschool through eighth grade an inspired and meaningful education. Students achieve their individual potential while savoring life and meeting the challenges of the world. Situated on 33 beautiful acres, the campus features a 24/7 security gate guard, offering a secure learning environment for students.
- Our preschool through eighth-grade programs are designed to purposefully provide our students with a cohesive, age-appropriate educational experience. A Dawson education meets students where they are and transforms them into engaged citizens, lifelong learners, leaders, and innovators.
- Students are taught, mentored and coached by highly qualified, dedicated faculty and staff with accomplishments in their respective areas of expertise.
- They are committed to innovative teaching methods to ensure the student body is academically competitive with the best independent schools across the country.
- With a low student-to-faculty ratio, students receive hands-on, individual support in the classroom.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association for the Education of Young Children|
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
NWAIS (Northwest Association of Independent Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Total Students||468 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 31%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||94 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||18 students|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Early Childhood (3 & 4 yrs old) $17,730 K-4: $25,440 5-8: $26,260 1/2 day Early Childhood is available.Included in tuition: lunch, snacks, books, basic classroom supp (incl instruments for orchestra, cameras, etc), technology, day field trips|
|Admissions Director||Andrew Bishop|
|Admissions Associate||Stella Finfrock|
|Total Sports Offered||8 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Flag Football, Soccer, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBasketball, Cheering,|
Cross Country, Flag Football,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||4 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
National Junior Honor Society, Student Council
Arts and Music Programs:
Bears After-School Experience Enrichment Classes
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Bears After-School Experience Enrichment Classes
- Overall 11:1 student-to-faculty ratio
- World language offerings include: Spanish and Mandarin in Kindergarten through grade four, and Spanish, French, and Mandarin in grades five through eight
- Integration of STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math)
- Innovative, state-of-the-art technology with 1:1 laptop ratio grades 1-8
- Balanced Literacy Program in the Lower School and a focus on phonemic awareness, reading, spelling and writing in preschool through kindergarten
- Authors-in-Residence Program brings published authors into the classrooms for extended instruction
- Over 20,000 volumes in the Dawson Library and a Leveled Book Room in the Lower School
- Variety of performing and visual arts electives, including photography, ceramics, painting, musical theater, acting, technical theater, orchestra, music technology and choir
- Test scores competitive nationally with independent schoolsRegional, state and national awards and rankings garnered by students in math, science and engineering, and fine arts
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Las Vegas Grades: PK-12 | 898 students
8601 Scholar Lane
Las Vegas, NV 89128
(702) 254-1610 5.4 PK-12
- Las Vegas Grades: NS-8 | 965 students
3275 Red Rock St.
Las Vegas, NV 89146
(702) 362-1180 5.9 NS-8
- Las Vegas Grades: PK-12 | 121 students
6701 W Charleston Blvd
Las Vegas, NV 89146
(702) 876-1181 5.4 PK-12
When we made the decision to move cross-country to Las Vegas, we took the time to visit many of the private schools in the Summerlin/Las Vegas area. As parents, we put a lot of emphasis on a high quality well rounded education that will benefit our kids now and in years to come, so it was important to us to really do our homework on this. It became very clear that Dawson was the right choice, providing the best of everything. The transition for our kids to this new environment was seamless, inviting, and they could not be happier. The school does an excellent job combining advanced academics, competitive athletics, and the numerous arts programs. The faculty help mold the kids in to the best possible learners, with the ability to differentiate instruction and really foster each kids strengths. Dawson is providing the opportunity for our kids to become even more empathetic people while pushing them to learn and try new things. It is an environment that we believe will best prepare our kids for high school and beyond, pushing them academically, socially and personally. We highly recommend Dawson, as it was one of the best decisions we've made!
- Posted by Parent - Travis
Our daughter joined Dawson as a 1st grader and now is in her 3rd grade. She previously attended a private school overseas. She comes home happy every day after school, everyone is so friendly (parents, teachers, students). She has made so many friends and she loves her teachers. The Dawson academic curriculum is comprehensive and challenging - our daughter is always motivated to learn and grow her skills. We have noticed a huge difference in her verbal and written communication skills in particular. We also love how Dawson teaches the children about cultural diversity through the country studies curriculum. Dawson's communication with parents is also excellent. We are so happy we chose Dawson -We are thrilled to watch our daughter blossom! Dawson has exceeded our expectations in so many ways.
- Posted by Parent - Sandra
My daughter is in her 4th year at Alexander Dawson, and my husband and I are so grateful for the opportunities she's had in both Early Childhood and Lower School. Not only is my daughter a full grade-level above where she should be in core subjects like Literacy, Writing, and Math, she is also several grade levels above her non-Dawson peers when it comes to her social-emotional intelligence, her character, her problem-solving and STEAM skills, and her awareness of the core issues of our time. When my daughter started at Dawson, she was a shy introvert. While she's still an introvert, now she loves speaking up in her classes, flourishes as a public speaker and performer, and easily makes friends. Alexander Dawson deeply cares about its students and their families, goes above and beyond providing support (academically and socially emotionally), and we've made amazing, lifelong friends with families who share or educational and social values. I highly recommend the school.
- Posted by Parent - AV
My son went to another private school for PreK, when it was time to go to Kindergarten, I visited and researched every private and charter school in the Las Vegas area. After our visit to Dawson, I knew it was THE best school and right for my son. The campus which is just the icing on the cake is the most beautiful campus I have ever seen for an EC-8th grade school. My son must have "overheard" some conversations with my husband over the summer because when I picked him up the 2nd day of school, he said, "mama I LOVE school, you picked good." That made my heart full and happy. We absolutely love everything about Dawson. My son is now in 1st grade and he loves going to school every single day. Dawson has researched every single aspect of everything you can and cannot imagine for the school. My son is thriving academically, socially, and emotionally. Both sides of our family are in awe of the education that our son is receiving at Dawson and what a great young boy he is! Even with everything that is going on in the World, my son continues to excel at Dawson, they have thought of everything to take care of their students' safety, health, wellbeing and the students continue to thrive academically, socially and emotionally. Dawson cares about their students, parents, teachers and faculty. In addition, Dawson offers so many opportunities for parents to learn and grow through events like Parent University, Parent Association, monthly Morning Coffee Chats, and community building events for the Dawson families. I highly recommend Dawson! One of the best decisions I have made in my life for my son who is my World!
- Posted by Parent - Cary
When we moved to Las Vegas 3 1/2 years ago, we looked at several of the private schools in the area. After our visit to Dawson, we knew it was the right school for our daughter and our family. We absolutely loved the feeling of Dawson - from the kids in the hallways to the teachers to the administrators. It felt right - it felt like home. Our daughter is in her fourth year at Dawson, and it has been even more than we'd hoped for. Through a focus on social, emotional, and academic learning, Dawson nurtures each student's strengths and builds on individual learning styles. Dawson offers multiple opportunities for parents to learn and grow as well, through events like Parent University and monthly Morning Coffee Chats. Dawson students and their families look forward to the fun community building events held throughout the year. We are happy we chose Dawson and we are proud members of the Dawson Community.
- Posted by Parent - Amy Joseph
We're new to Dawson, but so far I'm extremely impressed. At our last school my girls spent most of their time cramming for tests, with an outdated curriculum. Math is our toughest subject and Dawson gave us their grade level math books, so we could make sure they were on track before starting a different program. Additionally there were 4 weeks of summer school, not mandatory and no charge. We're only a month into the school year, already adjusted and extremely grateful to be at Alexander Dawson.
- Posted by Parent - Jessica Ranftl
What an AMAZING experience! Comprehensive academic, athletic, artistic, musical, theatrical, state-of-the-art technology, education, instruction, facilities, safety, security, support staff and services. Dawson has it ALL! Dawson's climate of care and intentional, positive influences continue to inspire our son, as well as our family, to become more engaged, self motivated, productive, positive agents of education and society. Schedule a tour and you'll witness first hand the Dawson Difference.
- Posted by Parent - Combado
Go to dawson
- Posted by Student/Alumni - MrCowlife
If you live outside the United States, choosing an American private school can be a confusing process. Here is an overview of the process.
Many people thought vouchers would never amount to much. Not only have they amounted to a great deal more than anybody could have thought, but vouchers have encouraged several more education choices to flourish.
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?