The Armand Hammer United World College
- The United World College-USA was founded in 1982 in Montezuma, NM through the philanthropy of the late Dr. Armand Hammer and is part of an international movement that now includes eighteen two-year pre-university residential schools worldwide offering the International Baccalaureate Diploma curriculum. UWC makes education a force to unite people, nations, and cultures for peace and a sustainable future.
- We aspire to be a model international educational organization with significant impact on each of our learners to assume responsibility and demonstrate leadership for positive changes in the world.
- We continually seek imaginative, meaningful innovations in our programs, in how students develop academically, socially, and in their orientation to serve others.
- We share in the need to operate in a financially responsible manner, with all of us seeking ways to build a stronger institution so that the quality of our services is constantly improved and so that we continuously invest in better ways to deliver our mission.
- We realize our ideals by interacting with one another with mutual respect and a constant awareness of the many cultures which make up our educational community.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
State or regional independent school association
Other school association(s)
|Grades Offered||Grades 11-12|
|Total Students||231 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 52%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||46 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Nov. 1|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$35,000|
|Endowment Size||$120 million|
|Total Sports Offered||3 sports|
|Sports||Intramural Sports Only, Mountain Biking, Rock ClimbingIntramural Sports Only, Mountain Biking,|
Students at UWC-USA start working to become agents for change the minute they set foot on campus. Building bridges to understanding with students of radically diverse nationalities, races, beliefs and economic backgrounds. Partnering with a local homeless shelter, tutoring children, and renovating a community center. Learning to respect nature as they test their endurance in the wilderness. And completing a rigorous IB diploma program at the same time. Our students learn lessons in practical idealism that equip them to become changemakers for life.
- Students and faculty conduct over 17,000 hours of community service every year - putting into practice the values fundamental to the UWC mission.
- 85% of students attend UWC-USA on full or significant scholarships.
- We build a strong community on campus so our students learn how to build strong, just, and positive communities wherever they end up. We believe our diversity is our strength.
- Many UWC-USA alumni attend prestigious universities after graduation and go on to careers serving others.
Profile last updated:
Nearby Private Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Las Vegas Grades: 1-8 | 10 students
6 Pork Chop Dr
Las Vegas, NM 87701
(505) 454-7175 2.6 1-8
- Santa Fe Grades: NS-PK | 33 students
1341 Canyon Road
Santa Fe, NM 87501
(505) 982-0879 35.6 NS-PK
- Santa Fe Grades: PK-6 | 184 students
715 Camino Cabra
Santa Fe, NM 87505
(505) 983-1621 35.8 PK-6
- Santa Fe Grades: 7-12 | 318 students
1101 Camino De Cruz Blanca
Santa Fe, NM 87505
(505) 982-1829 35.8 7-12