The Bement School
5.00 (2 reviews)
- The Bement School provides an education based on time-honored school traditions and values for children in kindergarten through ninth grade, day and boarding.
- From the classrooms to the dorms, we live and learn as a family, while encouraging responsibility for our own work and actions.
- Our rich, secondary school preparatory curriculum motivates and challenges students with thematically coordinated courses, a celebrated fine arts program, and diverse athletic offerings.
- The student/teacher ratio is 6:1 and class size averages 12 students.
- A three-week mini-term gives the entire school community an opportunity to study in-depth a common theme. Topics have included Dominican Republic, food, diversity, the environment, medieval times, and the ocean.
- The pervasive atmosphere at Bement is that of a family, learning and living together.
- Bement actively seeks an academically diverse, international, and multi-cultural student body.
- Students and adults at Bement work together to create a climate of acceptance, kindness, and challenge in which the intellectual, creative, physical, and emotional growth of each child is nurtured and realized.
- Recent graduates have matriculated at following secondary schools: Deerfield, Phillips Exeter, Choate Rosemary Hall, NMH, Hotchkiss, Williston, Loomis Chaffee, Blair, Westminster, Suffield, Mercersburg, Middlesex, Dublin, St. Mark's, Taft, Kent, Westminister, and many other fine schools.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
Association of Independent Schools in New England (AISNE)
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-9|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost Notes||Day camp is $525 (plus add-ons), ESL program for international students is $9800 (including student insurance)|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||224 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 21%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||42 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Monday dress is khaki skirt/pants with blue blazer)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 1 / Dec. 15 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Day students: $18,000-$26,830 Boarding students: $62,710|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Kimberly C. Loughlin|
|Admissions Associate||Doc Potter|
|Endowment Size||$9.23 million|
|Total Sports Offered||15 sports|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Diving, Field Hockey, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Winter TrackAlpine Skiing, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Dance,
Diving, Field Hockey,
Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||8 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Chess, Literary Magazine, Math Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Concert Band, Concert Choir
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Cross Country Skiing, Dance, Snowboarding
- Fine arts for every child every day
- Daily physical education and sport offerings with team athletics starting in grade 5
- Academic challenge for a range of student learners
- Small boarding population allows for individual attention
- 9th grade program includes international service learning program
- Diverse international population
- World language instruction grades K-9
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Deerfield Grades: 9-12 | 648 students
7 Boyden Lane
Deerfield, MA 01342
(413)774-1400 0.3 9-12
Bement was a great school in 1964 when I had been a day student for eight years. It's better now. A wonderful place to be a kid.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Richard Coon
My two sons love this school. Recess at least 2 times a day, PE & arts every day, wonderful teachers!
- Posted by Parent - Sarah Schatz
The Seattle area is home to many fine private schools as well as to major companies such as Microsoft, Boeing and Starbucks.
The oldest schools are concentrated in the east in what were the original thirteen colonies. Most of the founders of these early schools were principled men and women with lofty ideals and purposes.
You have just heard about a new private school opening soon in your area. Should you consider sending your child there? A look at the pros and cons of such a decision.