The City School
5.00 (1 review)
Tel: (215) 792-6224
The City School Photo #7 - Fairmount Campus-860 N. 24th Street, Phila. 19130 Serving Grades Pre-K(4) -5
The City School Photo #9 - 100% College Acceptance Rate of our Graduates 2/3's of our students attending college graduate within 6 years or remain in school
The City School provides an academically excellent Christian education.
By training the minds and discipling the hearts of our students, we prepare them for excellence in their life-long pursuit of learning.
Our dedicated staff teach and model the Christian worldview as the context for life.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI)|
Christian Schools International (CSI)
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||546 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||47 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||12:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Number of AP Courses||3 courses|
|Advanced Courses||Calculus, Honors American Literature, Honors Modern Literature, Honors Spanish IV – independent study, We partner w/ local colleges to provide a Dual enrollment program and robust advanced placement course offerings|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$9,640|
|Tuition Notes||We offer over $1 million per year in financial aid to make our education accessible for families in the city.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$4,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Kimberly Jones|
|Admissions Associate||Jean Marie Staico|
|Total Sports Offered||10 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Bowling, Cheering, Cross Country, Dance, Indoor Soccer, Track and Field, Volleyball, Weightlifting, Winter TrackBasketball, Bowling,|
Cheering, Cross Country,
Dance, Indoor Soccer,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
Weightlifting, Winter Track,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||13 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
National Honor Society, Photography, SAT Prep, Strategic Gaming Club, Student Ambassadors, Student Government, Yearbook, Yes there are more
Arts and Music Programs:
Advanced Art, Choir, Dance, Drama, Handbells/Chimes (Lower School)
- The City School`s mission is to train students`minds,disciple their hearts and bring light to the city-onechild at a time. For over 40 years, our commitment to this mission has guided us as we prepare students to thrive in school, in college, at home and in life.
- Training Minds: Our rigorous college-preparatory program prepares students for success in their lifelong pursuit of learning. We instill a genuine love of learning in our students.
- Discipling Hearts: We care for the physical, emotional and spiritual needs of each student.Values like love, forgiveness and grace are taught and modeled every day. The name of Jesus is glorified, and students are taught to see all truth in light of the Christian worldview.
- Bringing Light to the City: Our students engage in their communities to enhance the neighborhoods they love by using their gifts and talents for the greater good. We view the city from a perspective of hope and renewal, celebrating its beauty and actively working to heal its brokenness.
- One Child at a Time: We value each student as an individual, uniquely created in the image of God. Small class sizes ensure each student is given the one-on-one attention they need to succeed.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Philadelphia Grades: PK-12 | 600 students
17th St & Benjamin Franklin
Philadelphia, PA 19103
(215) 561-5900 1.3 PK-12
- Philadelphia Grades: K-8 | 191 students
1939 S. 58th St.
Philadelphia, PA 19143
(215) 724-6858 4.8 K-8
The City School is a school that cares. It cares about each and every family and each distinct child within a family. I have been on a first name basis with each of my children's teachers & principals over the last five years and have the permission to dialogue with and about particulars related to their educational & disciplinary processes. The City School also cares about making its tuition affordable to every family that wants to invest in its education. I have been blessed with financial aid that makes it possible for me to afford the education and I know there has been much unseen fundraising & grant writing that has made this all possible. The City School especially cares about its students' spiritual, social and emotional health & is intentionally staffed & programmatically aligned accordingly. Just tonight at dinner my first graded declared, "Oh, tomorrow is Friday...I can't wait for chapel. I love chapel!" Routines of weekly Friday chapel, Morning Meetings, uses of 'I messages' & staff counselor options for pulling students out of class or leading guided coping strategies to a whole class of students are all a part of the intentional care the City School has for its students. I have been very thankful to have this school in this city be there for my children.
- Posted by Parent - Caroline of Philadelphia
Sending your child to a single-sex school is one of several options you have when it comes to private schools.
Each state sets its own teacher certification requirements. While many private schools do not require you to be certified, it is in your best interests to obtain certification. This article includes contact information for state education offices so you can begin the process.
Marketing the small private school can be done affordably and effectively. We suggest five easy steps to make that happen.