The Discovery Center
The Discovery Center is a preschool and young 5'sprogram for 2.5 to 5 year olds that has been serving families in the Ann Arbor, Michigan, area since 1974.
Our focus on quality is reflected in the fact that The Discovery Center was one of the first centers in the United States to be accredited by the National Academy of Early Childhood Programs.
Each classroom of 24 students at The Discovery Center is staffed by a team of three professional teachers supported by assisting teachers, student teachers, and administrative staff.
The professional teachers have university degrees in child development, early childhood education, or related disciplines.
Their average tenure at The Discovery Center is more than ten years.
Program goals at The Discovery Center include the development of the following characteristics in each child: curiosity, independence, self-confidence, adaptability, creativity, trust, physical, social, and intellectual awareness, acceptance of others, self-control, cooperation, verbal ability, and skills appropriate to the child's developmental state.
- School Type: Early Childhood / Day Care
- Grades: Nursery/Preschool-Prekindergarten
- Students: 155 students
- Average class size: 24 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Learning Difference Programs
Learning Programs Supported
Language delay, autism, mild learning differences,
Summer School Offered
Student Body Type
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
Average Class Size
Finances and Admission
None / Rolling
- The Discovery Center is an early childhood program for 2 to 5 year olds that has been serving families in the Ann Arbor, Michigan, area since 1974. With our highly-educated and experienced staff, our modern building designed specifically for our use, and our nurturing, flexible program, we believe the environment created here for young children is ideal. The Discovery Center has been an accredited program through the National Association for the Education of Young Children since 1993. The Discovery Center provides an environment that encourages each child to approach optimum physical, social, emotional, aesthetic, and intellectual growth. Our programs are based on an open classroom approach with emphasis on a hands-on, experiential environment. The classroom environment encourages each child to explore "discovery centers" set up by the staff and to participate in a full range of activities occurring throughout the day. The program is also enhanced by outside specialists who provide Spanish, music, and story telling enrichment activities.
Both of my children attend TDC in Ann Arbor. It is a wonderful school, with lots if support and great teachers. I love the Rainbow Room (inside gym) for daily activity, as well as separate fenced in playgrounds for classrooms. The red Room in particular is very well structured, with the teachers sitting and eating with their students, and the children as young as 2.5 learn to pour milk etc., for themselves. They potty trained both of my children, and not many places will do that. They also have a nice way of introducing different cultures and foods by bringing in parents, and sharing books and holidays. The Yellow Room is "Developmental Kindergarden." In my honest opinion, it is wonderful, but for young fives. Every child in one of my child's class was a young five. The teachers were fun and engaging. My other child will be attending this fall, and is looking forward to it.
Endorse The Discovery Center. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
What A Teacher Does
A teacher wears many hats. Here's a look at her duties and responsibilities.
How Diverse Are Private Schools?
Decades ago private schools could have been accused of being elitist. You had to have money to attend. The student populations were fairly homogeneous. Fortunately that has changed.
Private School Job Searching 101
Here is a guide for teachers and administrators seeking employment in private schools. Think of it as a roadmap for the job search process.