The Farm School
The Farm School places among the top 20% of private schools in Tennessee for:
Academics and Faculty
Finances and Admission
- Organizational Structure: The Farm School is a consensus-democratic school. We attempt to achieve consensus on all shared decisions and use voting to make decisions when this seems like the most peaceful path to a decision. We make decisions about the daily functioning of the school during school meetings where students and teachers each have equal voice. Our Parent, Teacher, Student Association (PTSA) makes decisions about the daily functioning of the school that require the input of parents. We make decisions specific to individual students during triadic meetings that include a student, her/his advisor and a family member. Our school board is accountable for the functioning of the school as a business entity (non-profit corporation). We entrust our Principal to make recommendations about how to achieve our mission and to make time sensitive decisions on our behalf. What We Teach At The Farm School students learn as they apply basic skills and content to real-world problems. We use the following lenses into the subject areas to focus our responsive curriculum and to connect what our students learn to their and our community's needs, interests, experiences and values.
- Science, Math and Technology for Peace, Equality and Sustainability: Applying science, math and technology towards personal, community and planetary peace and sustainability.
- Social Science for Peace, Equality and Sustainability: Applying social science towards peaceful, equitable, and sustainable solutions to personal, community and international conflicts.
- Communication Arts for Peace, Equality and Sustainability: Communicating in the service of equality, peace and sustainability for all beings using multiple languages, music, art forms and media (including magazines, newspaper, radio, the Internet, bumper stickers, T-shirts, posters and banners). Being in Our Bodies: Being in and moving our bodies peacefully and sustainably.
Endorse The Farm School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards