The Friends School Of Atlanta
5.00 (4 reviews)
- The Friends School of Atlanta, preschool (PreK3) through 8th grade, offers challenging academics in a diverse environment, drawing on the values of simplicity, peace, integrity, community, equality and stewardship to empower our students to go out into the world with conscience, conviction and compassion.
- Classes are small to better serve the needs of the individual student.
- Project-based learning, service learning, and peer learning across classes are integral to the culture and curriculum offered at The Friends School of Atlanta.
The Friends School Of Atlanta places among the top 20% of private schools in Georgia for:
- Category Attribute
- Affordability Least expensive tuition
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Friends Council on Education (FCE)|
State or regional independent school association
Atlanta Association of Independent Schools (AAAIS)
Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools (SACS)
Southern Association of Independent Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Mild Learning Differences|
|Total Students||171 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 21%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||33 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||11 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(School-wide dress code: Avoid slogans and characters on clothing that might be offensive, divisive or violent. Middle school has additional requirements.)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 7 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$23,095|
|Tuition Notes||2019-20 tuition ranges from $14,580 to $23,095. 2020-21 tuition will be posted in December.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Alvanita Hope-Negron|
|Total Sports Offered||3 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Track and Field, Ultimate FrisbeeBasketball, Track and Field,|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||10 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Basketball, Critter Club, Girls STEAM Squad, Golf
Arts and Music Programs:
Art Studio, Drama Club
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Indoor Hockey, Lego Robotics, Soccer, Theatre Club
- The Friends School of Atlanta, preschool (PreK3) through 8th grade, is a community of learners dedicated to nurturing the mind, body and spirit of students. Our mission is to provide challenging academics in a diverse environment, drawing on the values of simplicity, peace, integrity, community, equality and stewardship to empower our students to go out into the world with conscience, conviction and compassion.
- The school was founded as a model of diversity and actively seeks wide-ranging diversity that includes race, religion, family structure, socioeconomic status, among other factors. FSA believes that when children go to school with others who aren't just like them, everyone's experience is enriched.
- FSA also encourages a commitment to community service among the students, offering many opportunities to get involved with such efforts as helping at the Atlanta Food Bank, mentoring children at Our House, or raising funds for disaster relief programs. From a curriculum perspective, students are encouraged to think creatively to solve problems, using design think techniques and inventing solutions in the Innovation Lab.
- The Friends School of Atlanta also incoporates mindfulness and silent reflection into the the classroom and life of the school.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Atlanta Grades: PK-12 | 987 students
1509 S Ponce De Leon Avenue NE
Atlanta, GA 30307
(404)377-3491 4.1 PK-12
- Decatur Grades: PK-5 | 176 students
4518 Covington Highway
Decatur, GA 30035
(404)284-2327 2.9 PK-5
- Decatur Grades: K-10 | 141 students
5455 Flat Shoals Pkwy
Decatur, GA 30034
(770)987-8121 6.1 K-10
FSA holds true to its word -- they really do honor every child as an individual. Here, progress is measured in so much more than scores and report cards. Highly recommended for any family who wants children to discover their own gifts and to be supported in growing them.
- Posted by Parent - Jessica C
Friends School is a haven of creativity, confidence, and academic growth. The school honors every student, making each feel part of the FSA family. The school offers a curriculum that keeps students challenged. Teachers bring such passion and interest to the subjects they teach. I see my son retaining much more information than he did at his previous school. Students not only learn through a strong academic curriculum, but they are also learning how to treat each other with respect and compassion. For a smaller school FSA has many activities to offer. As a parent involved in the arts, I am elated that music and art are part of his weekly learning. I truly appreciate the diversity. I am proud that my child attends the Friends School of Atlanta.
- Posted by Parent - Parent
I have two grandchildren who have been enrolled at The Friends School of Atlanta for several years. The amount of attention received from teachers and staff, who know them well, every day has helped them to grow academically and also has supported their development as persons who are caring and thoughtful of themselves and others.
- Posted by Parent - HappyGrandmom
My son graduated from Friends School of Atlanta in 2004 and went on to Paideia and NYU. He's a pretty decent human being, and for that I thank the teachers and staff at FSA for their commitment to providing top notch education in an atmosphere of diversity, fairness, and respect. I have been delighted to serve on the Board of Trustees since 2006 and in that time I have watched the school expand into its great facility on Columbia Drive while also expanding its mission and its community outreach. If you are looking for an independent school where your child will be honored as a member of a beloved community, look no further than Friends School of Atlanta.
- Posted by Parent - fmfat
Choosing a private school is a process with many parts to it. It also takes 18-24 months to complete. This collection of articles deals with the first part of the process in which you begin to look at private schools and what they offer.
Sometimes a regular school is not the right fit for a child. Perhaps she needs an alternative school.
What are the attributes which make 21st century military schools so special? We find out in this article.