The Lexington School
5.00 (9 reviews)
As a preschool-8th grade connected experience, our big kids are mentors and role models for our littles. They take care of each other like family.
Ranked #2 best elementary school in the country, The Lexington School is a national leader in preparing kids for 21st century life.
Curiosity and Creativity are 21st century (Mission Skills) we never take for granted. Our teachers are trained to facilitate this type of learning through content and quality instruction.
The Lexington School offers more Science than any other school in the region starting as early as Prekindergarten. Topical for focus and hands-on for comprehension, Science is a VERB at The Lexington School.
High quality teaching is about developing a relationship with the kids you teach. An environment of trust is essential to children taking risks, stretching to learn, and learning to overcome obstacles. This relationship is the cornerstone of The Lexington School's mission and philosophy.
With more athletic options than any other elementary school in the region, practices and games take place right here on campus, and child development is the focus of the athletic philosophy. Anyone can join and be a part of any team. That's how kids learn, and that's how they develop a passion.
- The mission of The Lexington School is to provide an education of the highest quality to students in preschool through middle school. In a structured, nurturing environment, The Lexington School seeks to instill integrity, a life-long enthusiasm for learning, and a strong work ethic.
- Because we are a nurturing environment, children feel confident.
- When children are confident, they will take risks. Because risk taking is inherent in learning, the possibility of failure exists.
- When a nurturing community exists, challenges lead to growth.
- Our success is defined when our students have the life skills to make wise choices and overcome obstacles.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Independent Schools Association of the Central States
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Dyslexia/Language-based|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$350|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||594 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 8%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||85 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Khaki pants, solid-colored shirt with a collar--unform dress/coat and tie on Fridays)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$22,000|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition for grades 1-8 all-inclusive. PS tuition varies by schedule. See Admission link on website for details.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$10,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Geriann Blevins|
|Admissions Associate||Virginia Daugherty|
|Endowment Size||$35 million|
|Total Sports Offered||13 sports|
|Sports||Archery, Basketball, Cheering, Climbing, Cross Country, Flag Football, Football, Lacrosse, Soccer, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, VolleyballArchery, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Flag Football,
Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||9 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Chess Team, Chinese Classes, Destination Imagination, Girls On The Run, Scouts, Speech and Debate
Arts and Music Programs:
Applied Music Lessons, Fine Arts Program
Recreational Athletic Programs:
- The Lexington School's developmental preschool and academic K-8 program maintain small class sizes which encourage teacher/student trust & promote courageous learning. All children are challenged through an active, hands-on curriculum that focuses on content and on teaching character traits (Mission Skills) like creativity, curiosity, ethics, time management, teamwork, and resilience.
- Our 40 acre campus includes 3 playgrounds, beautiful athletic fields, native woods, walking trails, and a creek where children of all ages spend quality time playing and learning in this outdoor classroom.
- In addition to the "traditional" program, The Lexington School offers a school within the school for children with language-based learning differences (Dyslexia). The Learning Center is a program specific to The Lexington School (no other program like it in the state) with student-teacher ratios of 4-1 and a specialized program that gives children the tools for success in any classroom.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Lexington Grades: PK-12 | 1460 students
450 W Reynolds Rd
Lexington, KY 40503
(859)422-5700 2.7 PK-12
- Lexington Grades: PK-12 | 415 students
3900 Rapid Run Drive
Lexington, KY 40515
(859)271-0079 6 PK-12
- Lexington Grades: PK-12 | 542 students
194 N Limestone
Lexington, KY 40507
(859)254-1361 3.5 PK-12
- Lexington Grades: NS-8 | 150 students
725 Stone Road
Lexington, KY 40503
(859)277-4805 2.4 NS-8
- Lexington Grades: PK-6 | 68 students
319 S Broadway Park
Lexington, KY 40504
(859)254-7034 2.3 PK-6
As an alumni I am so grateful that I was able to attend TLS, it is not only a school but also a place many of my old classmates feel was a second home. Many of the students start at TLS when they are 3-4 and will spend the next 10 years creating the most amazing friendships, learning from incredible teachers, and consistently gaining a unique and rich relationship with the surrounding world. Students are taught to explore their own ideas, challenge their peers, and to always be respectful. There is not a better school for prospective parents to debate on, and the opportunities that are available to graduates from high school to college are limitless. Become a colt, and never look back!
- Posted by Student/Alumni - M
My wife and I both attended public schools in grades 1-12 and have a wonderful experience. We were hesitant to send our two children to TLS for multiple reasons. We toured the school and decided to send our first child to TLS and have never looked back. Both children love school and are receiving a top notch education. We are very pleased and have no regrets. The school is well worth the money.
- Posted by Parent - Woodford Webb
TLS is wonderful, I could not ask for a better school!
- Posted by Parent - Sara
TLS is more than just about school. It is a place where my children have learned about character, courage, leadership, humanity, giving, self-confidence, respect, and so much more! They teach the whole child, and help us as families mold them into successful, thoughtful, motivated and kind adults. TLS is what school is ideally about. And they do an amazing job at all of it!
- Posted by Parent - FZ
Our oldest is in her 7th year at The Lexington School. We have all 3 of our kids there. It did not take long for our family to fall in love with this home away from home. The teachers truly care both about the kids' academic success and their happiness. The faculty and staff are giving them all the skills they will need to someday leave TLS and conquer life. In addition, with three kids there, we have also been able to see how perfect a place it can be for three totally different little people.
- Posted by Parent - Caroline Friesen
I couldn't ask for a better school for my children. The education is top notch, but they are also teaching young minds how to be a valuable part of society. I'm so happy and feel so fortunate to be able to send my children to such a fantastic school.
- Posted by Parent - Amy
Amazing school with excellent, engaged, excited teachers. My children have excelled under the curriculum and environment of The Lexington School.
- Posted by Parent - Rebecca
As a parent who went through the public school system, I sometimes question whether or not the sacrifice and expense are worth it. In addition to my own child's happiness and love of his school, this independent ranking validates that TLS is a place of exceptional academic standards. It also affirms that, yes, a private school education at TLS is worth it.
- Posted by Parent - molly
TLS teachers and staff are passionate about creating a nurturing school community, with students engaged in their learning environment...One of the best investments a parent can make, ensuring their child cultivates a love for learning.
- Posted by Parent - Eunic
August 14, 2018
We take a detailed look at the three popular early childhood methods to help you determine which one best suits your needs and requirements.
August 14, 2018
Your religion matters to you. You want your child to attend a school which will combine academics and religious education. Here is an overview of what is available together with some links to denominational web sites.
July 24, 2018
We identify changes in The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 which impact not-for-profit private schools.