The Lexington School
- MISSION AND PHILOSOPHY The Lexington School provides an education of the highest quality in a structured, nurturing community. We instill integrity, a joyful pursuit of learning, and a strong work ethic.
- In our supportive environment where children are known, they develop courage.
- Courageous children take risks, and we embrace the growth that emerges from their success and failure.
- We succeed when our graduates crave achievement and live with purpose beyond themselves.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Independent Schools Association of the Central States (ISACS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Dyslexia/Language-based|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$350|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||662 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 9%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||80 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Khaki pants, solid-colored shirt with a collar--unform dress/coat and tie on Fridays)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$23,000|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition for grades 1-8 all-inclusive. PS tuition varies by schedule. See Admission link on website for details.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$10,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Geriann Blevins|
|Admissions Associate||Virginia Daugherty|
|Endowment Size||$40 million|
|Total Sports Offered||15 sports|
|Sports||Archery, Basketball, Cheering, Climbing, Cross Country, Flag Football, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Rock Climbing, Soccer, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, VolleyballArchery, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Flag Football,
Lacrosse, Rock Climbing,
Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||9 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Chess Team, Chinese Classes, Destination Imagination, Girls On The Run, Scouts, Speech and Debate
Arts and Music Programs:
Applied Music Lessons, Fine Arts Program
Recreational Athletic Programs:
- The Lexington School's developmental preschool and academic K-8 program maintain small class sizes that encourage teacher/student trust & promote courageous learning. All children are challenged through an active, hands-on curriculum that focuses on content and on teaching character traits (Mission Skills) like creativity, curiosity, ethics, time management, teamwork, and resilience.
- Our 40-acre campus includes 3 playgrounds, beautiful athletic fields, native woods, walking trails, and a creek where children of all ages spend quality time playing and learning in this outdoor classroom.
- In addition to the "traditional" program, The Lexington School offers a school within the school for children with language-based learning differences (Dyslexia). The Learning Center is a program specific to The Lexington School (no other program like it in the state) with student-teacher ratios of 4-1 and a specialized program that gives children the tools for success in any classroom.
- A private, independent education of the highest quality for toddlers through 8th grade in Lexington, Kentucky, The Lexington School is ranked among the best private elementary schools in the country.
- The Lexington School was founded in 1959 by Josephine Abercrombie for talented children in preschool through 8th grade. Today the school serves toddlers through middle school and continues to provide a high-quality academic education that maximizes each child's potential. The goal of the school is to develop the whole child emotionally, socially, and cognitively in the most engaging way and encourages a life-long curiosity and drive for achievement.
- Located in Lexington, Kentucky on what used to be a horse farm, the school enjoys 40 acres of lush green fields, woods, and streams and 140,000 square feet of cutting edge instructional indoor space. With a 7 to 1 student to teacher ratio, children enjoy a differentiated curriculum that allows for the support and challenge they need to stretch and grow as 21st-century learners.
- A high retention rate among the schools' strong faculty cultivates family and encourages long-standing relationships with thousands of past parents and alumni who still call the school home.
- Strategically positioned for sustainability, a professional Board of Trustees oversees a top 10 endowment for the school's category and size.
- Dedicated to equity and inclusion, the school is committed to welcoming families and faculty of diverse backgrounds.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
As an alumni I am so grateful that I was able to attend TLS, it is not only a school but also a place many of my old classmates feel was a second home. Many of the students start at TLS when they are 3-4 and will spend the next 10 years creating the most amazing friendships, learning from incredible teachers, and consistently gaining a unique and rich relationship with the surrounding world. Students are taught to explore their own ideas, challenge their peers, and to always be respectful. There is not a better school for prospective parents to debate on, and the opportunities that are available to graduates from high school to college are limitless. Become a colt, and never look back!
- Posted by Student/Alumni - M
My wife and I both attended public schools in grades 1-12 and have a wonderful experience. We were hesitant to send our two children to TLS for multiple reasons. We toured the school and decided to send our first child to TLS and have never looked back. Both children love school and are receiving a top notch education. We are very pleased and have no regrets. The school is well worth the money.
- Posted by Parent - Woodford Webb
TLS is wonderful, I could not ask for a better school!
- Posted by Parent - Sara
TLS is more than just about school. It is a place where my children have learned about character, courage, leadership, humanity, giving, self-confidence, respect, and so much more! They teach the whole child, and help us as families mold them into successful, thoughtful, motivated and kind adults. TLS is what school is ideally about. And they do an amazing job at all of it!
- Posted by Parent - FZ
Our oldest is in her 7th year at The Lexington School. We have all 3 of our kids there. It did not take long for our family to fall in love with this home away from home. The teachers truly care both about the kids' academic success and their happiness. The faculty and staff are giving them all the skills they will need to someday leave TLS and conquer life. In addition, with three kids there, we have also been able to see how perfect a place it can be for three totally different little people.
- Posted by Parent - Caroline Friesen
I couldn't ask for a better school for my children. The education is top notch, but they are also teaching young minds how to be a valuable part of society. I'm so happy and feel so fortunate to be able to send my children to such a fantastic school.
- Posted by Parent - Amy
Amazing school with excellent, engaged, excited teachers. My children have excelled under the curriculum and environment of The Lexington School.
- Posted by Parent - Rebecca
As a parent who went through the public school system, I sometimes question whether or not the sacrifice and expense are worth it. In addition to my own child's happiness and love of his school, this independent ranking validates that TLS is a place of exceptional academic standards. It also affirms that, yes, a private school education at TLS is worth it.
- Posted by Parent - molly
TLS teachers and staff are passionate about creating a nurturing school community, with students engaged in their learning environment...One of the best investments a parent can make, ensuring their child cultivates a love for learning.
- Posted by Parent - Eunic