The O'Neal School
5.00 (5 reviews)
The athletics program consists of fall, winter and spring sports. Sports include: Soccer, Track, Cross Country,Tennis, Volleyball, Basketball, Baseball, Golf, Swimming and Cheerleading.
The Hannah Marie Bradshaw Activities Center holds one of the School's two gymnasiums, a theater, classrooms as well as a fitness center.
O'Neal's nationally-recruited faculty have independent school backgrounds and make it a point to know their students in and outside of the classroom.
O'Neal's clubs and activities allow for leadership opportunities, character building, academic rigor, community service and physical well-being. The School attempts to offer activities and associations that meet the interests of the students while providing value in their overall growth. Pictured are the One Act Players.
Founded in 1971, O'Neal's 40-acre campus is comprised of five buildings nestled between the beautiful pine trees of the Sandhills of North Carolina.
The Robotics and Innovation lab at O'Neal houses the Upper School Robotics class, and the different levels of Lego League after school activities as well as independent exploration for students.
- O`Neal is a college preparatory private school in Moore County NC serving families in Pinehurst, Southern Pines, Whispering Pines, Sanford, West End, Aberdeen, and the surrounding areas. The safe, nurturing environment provided offers a highly recognized early childhood education for preschool level students continuing through kindergarten and elementary school grades.
- Its mission is the cultivation of academic excellence, character development, and physical well-being from prekindergarten to middle school and through the high school division. The School is one of few educational institutions among Moore County Schools that is a member of the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) qualified for membership through its dual accreditation with the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) and the Southern Association of Independent Schools (SAIS). Whether considering an education in public schools, private schools, homeschooling, or charter schools, O`Neal is worth a visit.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
State or regional independent school association
Other school association(s)
Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools (SACS)
Southern Association of Independent Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Total Students||432 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 18%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||56 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Number of AP Courses||17 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Advanced Multivariable Calculus, Art History, Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, English Language, English Literature, Environmental Science, European History, French Language, Physics, Spanish Language, Statistics, Studio Art, U.S. Government, U.S. History|
|Average SAT score||1180|
|Average ACT score||24|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition ranges from $6,000-$17,330|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Olivia Webb|
|Admissions Associate||Suzanne Holshouser|
|Total Sports Offered||10 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,|
Cheering, Cross Country,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||37 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Anime Club, Art Club, Battle of the Books, Board Game Club, Chess Club, Chorus Club, Consortium for Mathematics and its Applications, Cum Laude Society, Documentary Club, French Club, German Club, GirlUp Club, Glee Club, Honor Council, International Film Club, Junior Beta Club, Key Club, Knitting Club, Lego League, Literary Magazine - Blackbird's Eye Club, Mathcounts, Model UN, National Honor Society, O'Neal Volunteers, Odyssey of the Mind, One Act Play, Outdoors Club, Peer Tutoring, Prefect Leadership Organization, Relay for Life, Science Olympiad, Scripting/Coding Club, Spanish Club, Speech and Debate Club, St. Joseph Volunteers, USO Club, Yearbook Anime Club, Art Club, Chess Club, Chorus Club, French Club, German Club, GirlUp Club, Glee Club, Honor Council, Key Club, Knitting Club, Lego League, Mathcounts, Model UN, One Act Play, Outdoors Club, Peer Tutoring, Relay for Life, Spanish Club, USO Club, Yearbook, Battle of the Books,|
Board Game Club,
Consortium for Mathematics and its Applications,
Cum Laude Society,
International Film Club,
Junior Beta Club,
Literary Magazine - Blackbird's Eye Club,
National Honor Society,
Odyssey of the Mind,
Prefect Leadership Organization,
Speech and Debate Club,
St. Joseph Volunteers,
- Situated on a 40-acre campus, O`Neal has five facilities housing two gymnasiums, a theater, art studios (with pottery room, kiln and red room), greenhouse, robotics lab, computer labs, swimming pool, media center, dining commons, tennis courts, and athletic fields. Across campus each classroom is equipped with the latest grade level technology. The School has a full time nurse, school counselor, athletic trainer and college counselor and uses a national recruitment process for hiring its faculty. Students are governed by an honor code. After school care is offered to students - prek3 through grade 4 as well as many enrichment programs after school for the younger age groups. Summer camp consisting of a variety of enrichment programs is available to youth starting at age 3. Following a comprehensive physical education curriculum in Lower School, the athletics program begins in the Middle School offering golf, soccer, basketball, baseball, tennis, swimming, cheerleading, volleyball, cross country, and track. Exchange study abroad starts with short in-home stays with Middle School students. O`Neal has study abroad partnerships with schools in France, Spain and China.O`Neal has been educating area youth for 45 years. 100% of O`Neal`s graduates are accepted to colleges and universities across the nation. The average graduating class of 40 students typically amasses more than $2M in merit-based scholarships. So far, O`Neal claims 3 Morehead-Cain Scholarship winners. The School has a strong winning record with the North Carolina Reading Association`s annual Young Authors competition as well as the county`s Young People`s Arts Festival competition. The Middle School Science Olympiad team has won in regional competition qualifying for consecutive invitations to state competition. In addition to its NAIS membership, O`Neal is also an active member of the North Carolina Association of Independent Schools (NCAIS), the Global Education Benchmark Group (GEBG), the Cum Laude Society, the National Honor Society, Tuition/Aid Data Services (TADS), the National Association for College Admission Counseling (NACAC) and the North Carolina Independent School Athletic Association (NCISAA). Financial aid for tuition and limited transportation services are available.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Southern PinesGrades: NS-12 | 281 students
387 W. Pennsylvania Ave
Southern Pines, NC 28387
- DurhamGrades: PK-12 | 1202 students
3501 Ridge Road
Durham, NC 27705
- Chapel HillGrades: PK-12 | 329 students
6211 New Jericho Rd
Chapel Hill, NC 27516
- FayettevilleGrades: PK-12 | 384 students
3200 Cliffdale Rd
Fayetteville, NC 28303
- DurhamGrades: K-12 | 155 students
3200 Pickett Road
Durham, NC 27705
We have three children who have been identified as having learning disabilities. They have struggled in almost every academic environment we have put them in (we traveled a lot). The O'Neal School told us they would work with our children, and they have. They also gave us reduced tuition. Finally our children are successful in school! I would say that if you have kids that like sports, or are not that academic this school would be a great fit for you! They know how to meet each child where he is, and not push too hard.
- Posted by Parent - Stephanie
The Academic Enrichment Program is unique to the O'Neal School and allows students with learning differences to not only work through their challenges and improve their own academic skillset, but ultimately surpass standards and put them at an advantage compared to students at different schools. Our son participates in the swim program at the school, which has given him the opportunity to compete and win multiple State Championships. The athletic program as a whole teaches the students to be well-rounded and how to manage their time while balancing multiple activities at once which are imperative skills that will carry with them throughout their lives. Our son has also learned the importance of working with others as a team, has gained strong leadership skills and realized the importance of leading a healthy lifestyle. The faculty and staff at The O'Neal School are passionate, supportive and consistently provide attention and aid where it is needed. They go beyond the scope of any ordinary educator and unremittingly support the students both inside and outside the classroom; whether that be cheering them on at sporting events, attending important outside activities such as volunteer work or working with students directly when they face challenges with their schoolwork. As parents we can confidently say that our son personifies the pillars and mission of the school and his character is a direct reflection of the institution and their practices. We are grateful to have such an amazing school so close to home.
- Posted by Parent - lisa.
One of the best & most important aspects of our time at O'Neal has been the 1 on 1 relationship that our daughters, my husband, & myself have been able to establish & maintain with O'Neal's teachers, year after year. Our daughters (9th & 8th grade) have been here since Pre-K. The small student-teacher ratio, together with the fact that the parent-student-teacher relationship persists even after the kids graduate from each division, has allowed us unparalleled access to all of O'Neal's instructors, many of whom have either a masters or doctorate. This access is one of the reasons why our daughters so far have achieved such great academic success. The fact that we can login anytime & track our daughters daily progress, from daily homework grades, test & quiz grades, to their current averages in each subject, makes this access even better.
- Posted by Parent - zavet
Our child began his journey with the O'Neal school in the 3rd grade and is currently a Junior. I strongly suggest visiting the campus for yourself. Immediately upon entering the campus you will notice their warm, inviting environment that is well-equipped with state-of-the-art technology and accommodations that are simply unmatched. While some may see the commute from Sanford as a sacrifice, we believe the drive is well worth it. The O'Neal School is constantly developing new ways to provide opportunity and growth to their students. Attending a college preparatory school has given our son the confidence in knowing that his transition to college is one he will face with ease and an eager, optimistic attitude. The students graduate with a sense of confidence, determination, and social consciousness and are well-equipped as successful, passionate leaders. The academic curriculum is challenging and allows the students to flourish in the classroom.
- Posted by Parent - lsm1
My daughter started at The O'Neal School in Pre-K and is now in 6th Grade. While we are making somewhat of a financial sacrifice, we consider that an O'Neal education may in fact be one of the greatest gifts we can give her. She thrives in the classroom with a challenging curriculum that stresses critical thought (not just robotic regurgitation for testing purposes), the school offers a strong swimming program that created the foundation for her to swim competitively on a State level. The school's offerings in music and choral opportunities have fostered my daughter's strong interest in singing. The friendly and supportive environment, small class size, challenging academics and highly committed faculty and coaches of The O'Neal School are the building blocks that will allow her to continue to succeed academically, athletically and socially through her educational career and later in life. Visit the school: the spacious campus, happy students and passionate faculty are all impressive. I'm not sure how anyone could not choose O'Neal after seeing what this school offers to children in the Sandhills, it's truly unparalleled.
- Posted by Parent - Sarah
October 18, 2017
The Seattle area is home to many fine private schools as well as to major companies such as Microsoft, Boeing and Starbucks.
September 30, 2017
Scandals in private school are bound to raise questions for those of us thinking about sending our children to private school. Regardless of how sensational these scandals may appear, they are actually few and far between.
September 29, 2017
Parents have many reasons for deciding to take their children out of public school and enrolling them in private school. This circumstance is something which can happen at any stage of your child's education.