The Open School
- School Type: Alternative School
- Grades: Kindergarten-12
- Students: 26 students
- Yearly Tuition: $12,305
- Acceptance rate: 95%
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
Academics and Faculty
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
- The Open School is unlike any other school. We begin with the reality of the student: what are their passions, what motivates them, what creates meaning in their lives We don`t seek to change students; we know how amazing they already are. We facilitate their growth by sitting along side them.
- Our curriculum is the practice of freedom and responsibility. Freedom means that students are never coerced to think or behave in a certain way. They are free to live according to their own conscience and interests, and design their own curricula and daily routines. Responsibility means that students learn self-discipline by practicing it daily. They focus deeply on their passions, set their own pace, and are responsible for their own outcomes. They are held responsible for their decisions, expected to take care of themselves and their environment, and given the power to truly have a voice in the school. This is learning by living in a community of respect.
- The brain is always learning, every moment of the day, unless the mind is stressed, bored, or angry. We believe that since life is meant to be enjoyed, so too is learning. What are you waiting for The future is open.
- Six Things Our Families Love:
- World schooling means the world is our classroom, and we go experience it every week.
- Restorative Justice means we have compassion while still upholding rules and through this we support the development of self-discipline and empathy.
- Democracy means that everyone`s voice is important in all matters. Since there is no hierarchy in the school, students learn how to advocate for their interests and work collaboratively to legislate school business.
- Freedom means students learn how to emotionally self-regulate, be confident in their decision-making, and pursue their passions without constraint.
- No Homework means that parents and children can enjoy their time together, which is as developmentally important as anything a school could offer.
- Age Mixing means that students are not segregated by age. Because of the relative similarity in brain structures, children are often better teachers of each other than adults could be.
Endorse The Open School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards