The Open School
- The Open School is the first and only free democratic school in Orange County.
- Our educational philosophy begins with the idea that children deserve to be respected for who they are.
- At the Open School, children are allowed to create their own educational pathways that are driven by their innate passions, they participate in running the school at every level through democratic process, and they explore what personal responsibility means in the context of community.
- Academic subjects are approached through personal interests, which are unique to each student, but what all Open School students share is a curriculum of self-empowerment, emotional self-regulation, compassionate communication and problem solving through restorative justice.
- We also subscribe to a world-schooling philosophy that believes that the world is our classroom; we regularly take trips to beaches, museums, businesses, community events, and anywhere our students are curious to explore.
|School Type||Alternative School|
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-12|
|Total Students||26 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
Academics and Faculty
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$12,305|
|Tuition Notes||Sliding Scale tuition, based on ability to pay|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$4,800|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Cassi Clausen|
- The Open School is unlike any other school. We begin with the reality of the student: what are their passions, what motivates them, what creates meaning in their lives We don`t seek to change students; we know how amazing they already are. We facilitate their growth by sitting along side them.
- Our curriculum is the practice of freedom and responsibility. Freedom means that students are never coerced to think or behave in a certain way. They are free to live according to their own conscience and interests, and design their own curricula and daily routines. Responsibility means that students learn self-discipline by practicing it daily. They focus deeply on their passions, set their own pace, and are responsible for their own outcomes. They are held responsible for their decisions, expected to take care of themselves and their environment, and given the power to truly have a voice in the school. This is learning by living in a community of respect.
- The brain is always learning, every moment of the day, unless the mind is stressed, bored, or angry. We believe that since life is meant to be enjoyed, so too is learning. What are you waiting for The future is open.
- Six Things Our Families Love:
- World schooling means the world is our classroom, and we go experience it every week.
- Restorative Justice means we have compassion while still upholding rules and through this we support the development of self-discipline and empathy.
- Democracy means that everyone`s voice is important in all matters. Since there is no hierarchy in the school, students learn how to advocate for their interests and work collaboratively to legislate school business.
- Freedom means students learn how to emotionally self-regulate, be confident in their decision-making, and pursue their passions without constraint.
- No Homework means that parents and children can enjoy their time together, which is as developmentally important as anything a school could offer.
- Age Mixing means that students are not segregated by age. Because of the relative similarity in brain structures, children are often better teachers of each other than adults could be.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Anaheim Grades: 1-12 | 123 students
2530 W La Palma Ave
Anaheim, CA 92801
(714)995-1800 9.4 1-12
- Santa Ana Grades: PK-12 | 1530 students
3800 S Fairview St
Santa Ana, CA 92704
(714)662-7485 6.7 PK-12
The Open School was created as a safe place for children to grow and transform their lives, and it did that for our son. His time at The Open School was a pivotal turning point for him. And to Cassi and The Open School, for this, we are eternally grateful for what they have created and it`s role in our son`s life! He`s more happy and confident after his experience at The Open School! We could go on and on, but what we really want to say is: Thank you, thank you!!
- Posted by Parent - HappyParent
I love the philosophies find this school! Ben and Cassi are wonderful leaders! My kids are learning so much about life and how things work in the real world! My kids are learning what they are passionate about and how to make anything they want to learn possible!
- Posted by Parent - Lovem