The Out-of-Door Academy
- Top Ranked FL School
- Grades: Prekindergarten-12
- Students: 740 students
- Acceptance rate: 65%
- Average class size: 9 students
- Application Deadline: Mar. 1 / rolling
The Out-of-Door Academy ranks among the top 20% of private schools in Florida for:
Academics and Faculty
(Lower and Middle School students wear uniforms and Upper School students have a dress code.)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
Lower School - Community Service and "Caring Kids Club", Lower School - Enrichment Clusters, Lower School - Fifth Grade Leadership Camp, Lower School - Prime Time Afterschool Enrichment, Lower School - Safety Patrol, Lower School - Science Olympiad, Lower School - Student Admissions Team, Lower School - World Peace Games, Middle School - Community Service, Middle School - Eighth Grade Leadership Camp, Middle School - National Junior Honor Society, Middle School - Science Olympiad, Middle School - Student Council, Upper School - Academic Olympics, Upper School - Community Service, Upper School - Cum Laude, Upper School - Forensics (debate), Upper School - Green Club, Upper School - Journalism, Upper School - Leadership, Upper School - Literary Magazine, Upper School - Model United Nations, Upper School - National Honor Society, Upper School - Robotics, Upper School - Science Olympiad, Upper School - Senior Video, Upper School - Seniors Leadership Camp, Upper School - Spirit Club, Upper School - Sports Medicine, Upper School - Thespian Society, Upper School - World Languages, Upper School - Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Lower School - Orchestra/Chorus/Band, Lower School - Theater, Middle School - Choir, Middle School - Jazz Band, Middle School - Orchestra, Middle School - Theater, Upper School - Artist Circle, Upper School - Choir, Upper School - Jazz Band, Upper School - Orchestra, Upper School - Theater, Upper School - Tri-M Music Society
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Lower School - Intramurals, Middle School - Athletic Teams, Upper School - Athletic Teams
- As an independent, coeducational college preparatory school located on two campuses in Sarasota, Florida, The Out-of-Door Academy has been serving families since 1924.
- Pre-kindergarten through fifth grade students enjoy the ambience of the original Out-of-Door Academy campus on Siesta Key, 444 Reid Street, Sarasota, Florida 34242. Here, towering banyan trees shelter historic buildings which now house modern classrooms and a first-rate technology infrastructure. This combination of old and new creates an environment that fosters both the sense of security so necessary for learning in younger children, and the teaching techniques to challenge them.
- Academic, athletic, and extra-curricular activities for sixth through twelfth grade students are centered on The Out-of-Door Academy's collegiate-style Uihlein Campus in Lakewood Ranch, 5950 Deer Drive, Sarasota, Florida 34240, which opened in 1996. Building on programs designed to stretch and challenge individual students in the Lower School, Middle, and Upper Schools focus on preparing students to move on to college. Out-of-Door Academy graduates leave us having developed the responsibility, confidence, and independence crucial for successful adaptation to college life.
- Preparing students for college and life entails more than a rigorous academic program. Both campuses offer the array of opportunities necessary to help students maximize their full potential. Out-of-Door recognized success in achieving consistently high levels of student participation in a diverse program of academic, athletic, artistic, extra-curricular, and community service opportunities is a critical element in enabling students to reach their goals.
- The Florida Council of Independent Schools cited Out-of-Door Academy's success in establishing an institutional culture true to its mission: "Exemplary student behavior reflects the core values of the school and the high standards to which the student body and faculty hold themselves. We commend The Out-of-Door Academy in truly achieving its mission..."
Endorse The Out-of-Door Academy. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards