The Out-of-Door Academy
5.00 (1 review)
Tel: (941) 554-3400
The Out-of-Door Academy Photo #2 - Visit us online at www.oda.edu to learn more about The Out-of-Door Academy.
The Out-of-Door Academy is an independent, college preparatory school with two campuses in Sarasota, FL.
The Lower School is located on the Historic Siesta Key Campus, 444 Reid Street, Sarasota, Florida 34242.
The Middle School and Upper Schools are located on the beautiful Uihlein Campus in Lakewood Ranch, 5950 Deer Drive, Sarasota, Florida 34240.
Our mission is to provide an environment in which students strive to achieve high academic goals and to build character through a balanced program of academics, athletics, and the arts.
100% of ODA graduates are accepted to four-year universities.
The Out-of-Door Academy places among the top 20% of private schools in Florida for:
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other school association(s)|
Florida Council of Independent Schools (FCIS)
Florida Kindergarten Council (FKC)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||740 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||82 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||9 students|
|Number of AP Courses||40 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||English - AP Language and Composition, English - AP Literature and Composition, English - Honors American Literature, English - Honors British Literature, English - Honors European Literature, Fine Arts - AP Studio Art: 2-D Design, Fine Arts - AP Studio Art: Drawing, Fine Arts - AP Studio Art: Photography, Foreign Language - AP Latin, Foreign Language - AP Spanish Language, Foreign Language - AP Spanish Literature, Foreign Language - Honors Mandarin Chinese V, Foreign Language - Honors Spanish II, Foreign Language - Honors Spanish III, Foreign Language - Honors Spanish IV, Foreign Language - Honors Spanish V, History - AP European History, History - AP United States Government and Politics, History - AP United States History, History - Honors International Studies, Math - AP Calculus AB, Math - AP Calculus BC, Math - AP Statistics, Math - Honors Algebra II, Math - Honors Geometry, Math - Honors Pre-Calculus, Music - AP Music Theory and Composition, Science - AP Biology, Science - AP Chemistry, Science - AP Computer Science Principle, Science - AP Physics I, Science - AP Physics II, Science - Honors Biology, Science - Honors Chemistry, Science - Honors Physics, Science – AP Environmental Science, Social Science - AP Economics, Social Science - AP Macroeconomics, Social Science - AP Microeconomics|
|Average SAT score||1285|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Lower and Middle School students wear uniforms and Upper School students have a dress code.)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Mar. 1 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition levels by grade.|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Mrs. Laura Murphy|
|Admissions Associate||Mr. Michael Salmon|
|Total Sports Offered||14 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,|
Cheering, Cross Country,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||47 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Lower School - Community Service and "Caring Kids Club", Lower School - Enrichment Clusters, Lower School - Fifth Grade Leadership Camp, Lower School - Prime Time Afterschool Enrichment, Lower School - Safety Patrol, Lower School - Science Olympiad, Lower School - Student Admissions Team, Lower School - World Peace Games, Middle School - Community Service, Middle School - Eighth Grade Leadership Camp, Middle School - National Junior Honor Society, Middle School - Science Olympiad, Middle School - Student Council, Upper School - Academic Olympics, Upper School - Community Service, Upper School - Cum Laude, Upper School - Forensics (debate), Upper School - Green Club, Upper School - Journalism, Upper School - Leadership, Upper School - Literary Magazine, Upper School - Model United Nations, Upper School - National Honor Society, Upper School - Robotics, Upper School - Science Olympiad, Upper School - Senior Video, Upper School - Seniors Leadership Camp, Upper School - Spirit Club, Upper School - Sports Medicine, Upper School - Thespian Society, Upper School - World Languages, Upper School - Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Lower School - Orchestra/Chorus/Band, Lower School - Theater, Middle School - Choir, Middle School - Jazz Band, Middle School - Orchestra, Middle School - Theater, Upper School - Artist Circle, Upper School - Choir, Upper School - Jazz Band, Upper School - Orchestra, Upper School - Theater, Upper School - Tri-M Music Society
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Lower School - Intramurals, Middle School - Athletic Teams, Upper School - Athletic Teams
- As an independent, coeducational college preparatory school located on two campuses in Sarasota, Florida, The Out-of-Door Academy has been serving families since 1924.
- Pre-kindergarten through fifth grade students enjoy the ambience of the original Out-of-Door Academy campus on Siesta Key, 444 Reid Street, Sarasota, Florida 34242. Here, towering banyan trees shelter historic buildings which now house modern classrooms and a first-rate technology infrastructure. This combination of old and new creates an environment that fosters both the sense of security so necessary for learning in younger children, and the teaching techniques to challenge them.
- Academic, athletic, and extra-curricular activities for sixth through twelfth grade students are centered on The Out-of-Door Academy's collegiate-style Uihlein Campus in Lakewood Ranch, 5950 Deer Drive, Sarasota, Florida 34240, which opened in 1996. Building on programs designed to stretch and challenge individual students in the Lower School, Middle, and Upper Schools focus on preparing students to move on to college. Out-of-Door Academy graduates leave us having developed the responsibility, confidence, and independence crucial for successful adaptation to college life.
- Preparing students for college and life entails more than a rigorous academic program. Both campuses offer the array of opportunities necessary to help students maximize their full potential. Out-of-Door recognized success in achieving consistently high levels of student participation in a diverse program of academic, athletic, artistic, extra-curricular, and community service opportunities is a critical element in enabling students to reach their goals.
- The Florida Council of Independent Schools cited Out-of-Door Academy's success in establishing an institutional culture true to its mission: "Exemplary student behavior reflects the core values of the school and the high standards to which the student body and faculty hold themselves. We commend The Out-of-Door Academy in truly achieving its mission..."
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Sarasota Grades: 9-12 | 505 students
4171 Fruitville Road
Sarasota, FL 34232
(941) 371-4917 5.9 9-12
My son is just finishing his tenth year at Out-of-Door, and I can honestly say that every year seems to get better and better. He is challenged in the classroom, on the athletic fields and on the stage. More importantly, he loves his teachers. One of his favorite things to do is return to the lower school campus to visit his teachers from the younger grades. And now that he is at the age when he does not necessarily want to hear my advice, I know that he is surrounded by adults (teachers, coaches and administrators) who know him and care for him, and whose advice he values. As we head into high school, I am excited for him to be able to further develop his passions in an environment like Out-of-Door. As a family, we love the school, and could not ask for more for our child!!
- Posted by Parent - sarah
A search for a teaching job in the midst of a severe recession takes much longer than it does in good economic times. Here's how to handle this situation.
Marketing yourself in tough times requires attention to details. Here are some tips to help you achieve success.
You cannot rank private schools. We explain why.