Mangrove School of Sarasota
Tel: (941) 927-3711
- Mangrove School of Sarasota is dedicated to providing a nurturing and calm space in which children can love, learn, and grow.
- We seek to engage the whole child in their education - head, heart and hands, while also honoring our inherent connection to nature through frequent exploration of and hands-on experience in our majestic natural surroundings.
Mangrove School of Sarasota places among the top 20% of private schools in Florida for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
|School Type||Alternative School|
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-12|
|Total Students||75 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||15 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(clothes that make nature exploration comfortable)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||We accept Step Up/AAA tax credit scholarships, McKay, and Gardiner funds.|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
- From Early Childhood through Grades, at our school you will find developmentally appropriate programming for each stage of childhood. In our Early Childhood you will find a predictable, rhythmical schedule that brings comfort to young children and allows for easy transitions. Each day, the children explore and engage in a sensory rich, home-like environment designed to provide a feeling of warmth, while also intentionally avoiding over stimulation. Teachers provide creative, hands-on experiences for the children, while many opportunities for imaginative play and movement allow the child to develop a sense of social grace and physical competence essential for healthy learning throughout their lives. In our Early Childhood, children are able to obtain a vital foundation for academic learning: Healthy physical development through play, movement opportunities, and special projects that emphasize development of gross and fine motor skills as well as the integration of the sensory system (balance, movement, touch).An enhanced language experience through stories, songs and verses that supports the development of self-regulation, comprehension and visual imagery skills necessary for reading and abstract thought.The ripening of imaginative capacities through play with open ended, natural materials empowering the children to transform their surroundings, either in collaboration with others, or as individuals. Through play, children practice creative and flexible thinking, and it naturally encourages cooperation and social engagement. A realtionhsip to nature is emphasized, as we develop juinor land stwards. As children continue in the Grades, we continue to involve the students in a process of learning that engages their whole being. Standard academic subjects are enlivened in a unique, artistic way through many mediums including music, movement, drama and art. Subjects such as math, history, botany, zoology, and others are presented to the students with the intention of lifelong learning, not rote memorization. Hands on experiences whenever possible, the creation of their own books, and the connections to their own lives and interests help facilitate an engaged learning experience for the students.In addition to all of the fundamentals of a classical education, Grades students learn specialty subjects such as handwork, woodworking, gardening, drama, art, foreign language, music and qi gong. This variety of subjects helps to develop confident, capable human beings, as they have attempted and, through diligence and persistence, succeeded at many endeavors. In addition, our oldest students engage in self directed project based learning, and have many opportunities to work in hands on, meaningful ways to uncover their gifts and interests. For example, developing their own conscious, eco-friendly business from the ground up, or writing, directing, and producing their own film or theater project, and initiating and fulfilling a service project for a cause near to their hearts. An emphasis on sustainability and a relationship to nature permeates all programs.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Sarasota Grades: K-12 | 53 students
150 N Shade Ave
Sarasota, FL 34237
(941) 894-3053 5.2 K-12
If you live outside the United States, choosing an American private school can be a confusing process. Here is an overview of the process.
Many people thought vouchers would never amount to much. Not only have they amounted to a great deal more than anybody could have thought, but vouchers have encouraged several more education choices to flourish.
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?