Mangrove School of Sarasota
- Mangrove School of Sarasota is dedicated to providing a nurturing and calm space in which children can love, learn, and grow.
- We seek to engage the whole child in their education - head, heart and hands, while also honoring our inherent connection to nature through frequent exploration of and hands-on experience in our majestic natural surroundings.
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-12|
|Total Students||75 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 41%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||15 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||We accept Step Up/AAA tax credit scholarships, McKay, and Gardiner funds.|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
- From Early Childhood through Grades, at our school you will find developmentally appropriate programming for each stage of childhood. In our Early Childhood you will find a predictable, rhythmical schedule that brings comfort to young children and allows for easy transitions. Each day, the children explore and engage in a sensory rich, home-like environment designed to provide a feeling of warmth, while also intentionally avoiding over stimulation. Teachers provide creative, hands-on experiences for the children, while many opportunities for imaginative play and movement allow the child to develop a sense of social grace and physical competence essential for healthy learning throughout their lives. In our Early Childhood, children are able to obtain a vital foundation for academic learning: Healthy physical development through play, movement opportunities, and special projects that emphasize development of gross and fine motor skills as well as the integration of the sensory system (balance, movement, touch).An enhanced language experience through stories, songs and verses that supports the development of self-regulation, comprehension and visual imagery skills necessary for reading and abstract thought.The ripening of imaginative capacities through play with open ended, natural materials empowering the children to transform their surroundings, either in collaboration with others, or as individuals. Through play, children practice creative and flexible thinking, and it naturally encourages cooperation and social engagement.As children continue in the Grades, we continue to involve the students in a process of learning that engages their whole being.Standard academic subjects are enlivened in a unique, artistic way through many mediums including music, movement, drama and art. Subjects such as math, history, botany, zoology, and others are presented to the students with the intention of lifelong learning, not rote memorization. Hands on experiences whenever possible, the creation of their own books, and the connections to their own lives and interests help facilitate an engaged learning experience for the students.In addition to all of the fundamentals of a classical education, Grades students learn specialty subjects such as handwork, woodworking, gardening, drama, art, foreign language, sign language, music and movement. This variety of subjects helps to develop confident, capable human beings, as they have attempted and, through diligence and persistence, succeeded at many endeavors.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Sarasota Grades: K-12 | 44 students
150 N Shade Ave
Sarasota, FL 34237
(941)894-3053 5.2 K-12
- Sarasota Grades: 6-12 | 40 students
3552 Webber St
Sarasota, FL 34239
(941)924-7681 3.6 6-12
Most private schools have endowment funds. We explain how these work and why schools are fortunate to have them in tough times.
COVID-19 has turned education at every level upside-down, inside-out. We offer some steps to guide your planning for academic year 2020-21.
Teachers and parents are concerned about the teaching that will take place post-pandemic. I have tried to cover their concerns in the following set of questions and answers.