The Roxbury Latin School
The Roxbury Latin School Photo #2 - The Headmaster and members of Class I greet returning students on the first day of fall term.
The Roxbury Latin School Photo #3 - A boys' school by conviction and a small school by choice, Roxbury Latin is committed to the ethical formation and rigorous academic training of each boy entrusted to us.
The Roxbury Latin School Photo #4 - Boys in a boys' school are freer to develop the full spectrum of their personalities, to be nurturing, gentle, empathetic, and sensitive with one another.
The Roxbury Latin School Photo #5 - Roxbury Latin encourages its students to be generalists and provides an environment in which they will become aesthetically aware and have the opportunity to express themselves creatively. For their part, RL boys commit their time and talents generously.
The Roxbury Latin School Photo #6 - More than half of the student body sings in one of the School's four choral groups, beginning with the Junior Chorus for the youngest boys.
The Roxbury Latin School Photo #7 - Roxbury Latin students compete in the Certamen Scrimmage (Latin "Jeopardy"), organized by the Classics Club, and hosted annually by the School.
The Roxbury Latin School Photo #8 - Our faculty, in addition to teaching and advising, also coach almost all of our 33 teams in 10 interscholastic sports. In the words of a veteran teacher-coach, "You never know when you can have a positive impact in the life of a boy, but if you teach him AND coach him, there is a much better chance you will be in the right place at the right time."
The Roxbury Latin School Photo #9 - The close relationship among teachers and boys may be the principal reason why there is so little turnover on the faculty or in the student body.
- The Roxbury Latin School is a small, independent day school for boys in grades 7-12, located on a spacious 117 acre campus in West Roxbury, MA. Founded by John Eliot in 1645, in the reign of King Charles the First, it is the oldest school in continuous existence in North America.
- Roxbury Latin's endowment and the generosity of its alumni, parents, and friends enable the School to maintain a distinguished faculty, to charge a relatively low tuition, and to admit and enroll boys without regard to their parents' ability to pay.
- The opportunities afforded by the School are therefore available to a uniquely diverse student body from all segments of the greater Boston community.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
New England Association of Schools and Colleges
Association of Independent Schools in New England (AISNE)
|Grades Offered||Grades 7-12|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||303 students|
|Student Body Type||All-boys|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 21%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||46 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||13 students|
|Number of AP Courses||13 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP American Politics, AP Art History, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Computer Science, AP Economics (Macro), AP Economics (Micro), AP French 4, AP Latin 5, AP Modern European History, AP Music Theory, AP Spanish 4, AP Statistics|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 6|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$33,200|
|Tuition Notes||Need-blind admission|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$24,090|
|Admissions Director||Billy Quirk|
|Admissions Associate||Carolyn Powell|
|Total Sports Offered||10 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Football, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Tennis, Track and Field, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Football,
Ice Hockey, Lacrosse,
Track and Field, Wrestling,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||13 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Chess, Chorus, Community Service, Debating and Public Speaking, Dramatics, Environment Conscious Organized Students (ECOS), Habitat for Humanity, Jazz Band, Language Clubs, Latonics (a cappella), Model United Nations, Publications (newspaper, Yearbook, magazine of student arts), String and other chamber music ensembles|
- The Roxbury Latin School is a small, independent day school for boys in grades 7-12, located on a spacious 117 acre campus in West Roxbury, MA. Founded by John Eliot in 1645, in the reign of King Charles the First, it is the oldest school in continuous existence in North America. Roxbury Latin's endowment and the generosity of its alumni, parents, and friends enable the School to maintain a distinguished faculty, to charge a relatively low tuition, and to admit and enroll boys without regard to their parents' ability to pay. The opportunities afforded by the School are therefore available to a uniquely diverse student body from all segments of the greater Boston community. Although Roxbury Latin has no formal religious affiliation and enrolls students from many different faiths and backgrounds the School remains deeply committed to the essential values of its Judeo-Christian heritage: honesty, simplicity, humility, respect and concern for others. We also maintain an abiding commitment to our classical heritage: requiring three years of Latin and a modern Romance language, offering three years of Homeric Greek as an elective, valuing the aesthetic, and adhering to the ancient precept mens sana in corpore sano. The academic program for younger boys emphasizes the development of basic skills in the arts, English, history, classical and modern languages, computer science, math, and science. As they mature, students gain increasing flexibility in scheduling through elective options and independent study opportunities. In addition, there are full athletic and activity programs. All boys participate in on- and off-campus service projects. Throughout our history we have been proud to celebrate the numerous academic laurels our students have earned, but we have never lost sight of our primary concern: the moral character of our boys. At Roxbury Latin the fundamental promise we make to our families is that "each boy will be known and loved."
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Dedham Grades: 7-12 | 590 students
10 Campus Drive
Dedham, MA 02026
(781)326-3700 1.7 7-12
- Milton Grades: K-12 | 980 students
170 Centre Street
Milton, MA 02186
(617)898-1798 4.6 K-12
- Dorchester Grades: 7-12 | 1539 students
150 William T Morrissey Blvd
Dorchester, MA 02125
(617)474-5010 6.3 7-12
- Belmont Grades: 7-12 | 435 students
350 Prospect Street
Belmont, MA 02478
(617)993-5220 9.1 7-12
- West Roxbury Grades: 7-12 | 665 students
235 Baker St
West Roxbury, MA 02132
(617)469-8000 0.5 7-12
You have just heard about a new private school opening soon in your area. Should you consider sending your child there? A look at the pros and cons of such a decision.
If you know the answers to all these questions, you probably teach or work in a private school. Be that as it may, these questions contain links with the answers.
As you evaluate schools, take time to explore fully what the schools which you are looking at teach.