The Studio School of Durham
The Studio School of Durham Photo #2 - Our Design Studio is a dedicated and intentional space built specifically for the purpose of allowing children to be creators, designers, builders, engineers, and tech enthusiasts at the beginning of their elementary education.
The Studio School of Durham Photo #3 - Small group work gives our youngest learners the time and attention they need to ensure strong foundational academics.
- Launched in 2017, The Studio School of Durham is a research-based, project-focused independent school for kids in kindergarten through 5th grade.
- We believe your child deserves and needs a 21st century education, so we equip them with a spirit of discovery, mastery, and adventure that will empower them to fulfill their greatest potential across their school years and beyond.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other school association(s)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-5|
|Total Students||16 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 16%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||2 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Mar. 15 / May. 15 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$9,750|
|Tuition Notes||Our PlayHouse Preschool and Kindergarten alum receive priority admissions. We also offer a sibling discount.|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Danielle Sunde|
- Featuring rich experiences, Studio School students create real-world deliverables in vibrant outdoor spaces and beautiful indoor classrooms, a cutting-edge Design lab, and inspiring art studio. On a daily basis, students are challenged and given the creative opportunities to master critical thinking, problem solving skills, and a spirit of adventure about their own purpose and educational development.
- Proud to be a new kind of approach to independent school, The Studio School welcomes students and parents who are tired of worksheets, endless homework, and standardized testing that leaves you unchallenged. Featuring rich experiences, Studio School students create real-world deliverables in beautiful indoor classrooms, a cutting-edge Design lab, and inspiring art studio. On a daily basis, students are challenged and given the creative opportunities to master critical thinking, problem solving skills, and a spirit of adventure about their own purpose and educational development.
- CORE SKILLS Our approach to learning during core skill (reading, writing, math) acquisition is highly individualized. Recognizing that all students have a jagged learning profile and thus learn different subjects in different ways at different rates we facilitate a customized and multi-disciplinary approach to these academic pursuits. Core skills are also a natural part of our inquiry and project-based work where we encourage and guide our learners to connect ideas, reflect upon the connections, apply a variety of methods, and communicate their findings in a variety of forms.
- PROJECTS Our project work encourages our students to become active in the learning process where their curiosity is seen as a valuable resource. Through this process students address interesting and relevant challenges, develop driving questions, set goals using a co-created rubric system, research their topic, document their process, present their findings and reflect upon their learning process. Students learning through inquiry and investigation have vast opportunities in the areas of decision-making and critical thinking it allows them to acquire information and concepts in an authentic way. Our projects often take students off site on field trips, such as walking through the community during a study of architecture. Experts and special visitors knowledgable on our topics of study are also frequent visitors to the Studio.
- SOCRATIC DISCUSSIONS Our day begins and ends with a Socratic Discussion. This form of discussion embodies the power of asking questions, valuing inquiry over information and discussion over debate. While we value independent learning we understand the benefit and social nature of collaborative learning. At the start of the discussion open-ended questions are shared with the group with the goal of staying focused and students exploring the perspectives and approach to the questions and not just their answers.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Durham Grades: K-12 | 121 students
809 Proctor St
Durham, NC 27707
(919)688-3040 5.2 K-12
What is a lab school? It's a K-12 school or school with some variation of those grades which is operated by a university or college.
Helicopter, velcro and snowplow parents can't stand the thought of their children having difficulty with anything. Over-protective parents come in several flavors. More here.
Raising money for your small school never seems to end. There is always some pressing need. And a few long-term ones as well. We offer some tips, suggestions and strategies to help you tackle this important aspect of your school's financial situation.