The Valley School
5.00 (2 reviews)
- Our Mission At The Valley School, we ignite children's natural passion for learning. Our students develop an academic foundation and become joyful learners through playful work, purposeful play, and the practice of community. Our Values Collaboration
- Respect for individuality Kindness Creativity Equity and Inclusion Childhood
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-5|
|Total Students||111 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||15 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||17 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$22,960|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$12,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Lora Kolmer|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||4 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Chess, Cross Country, Mandarin, Yoga
- The Valley School, a non-profit educational institution, was founded in 1985 by Patricia Overy and is fully accredited by the State of Washington. Within 10 years the school expanded from a one-room preschool of 18 children to a complete elementary school of 100 children. The campus, located in the Madison Valley neighborhood of Seattle, occupies eight city lots with a large 20,000 sq. ft. playground connecting them. Care has always been taken to preserve and enhance the outdoor play spaces for children. Enrollment is currently 110 children from pre-kindergarten through fifth grade, a size that supports the child-centered learning environment.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Seattle Grades: PK-5 | 246 students
2227 10th Avenue E
Seattle, WA 98102
(206)442-6855 1.7 PK-5
- Seattle Grades: PK-5 | 221 students
3611 E Denny Way
Seattle, WA 98122
(206)323-9011 0.4 PK-5
We are so thankful to be a part of the amazing community at the Valley School. The families, teachers, administration and parents make a really special community. This school has an effective approach to homework.Homework is assigned beginning in 2-3rd grade and is based on each child's needs. This is an appropriate approach to homework that also preserves time for family time reading, talking and playing together while giving kids time to practice homework that will inevitably be routine in middle school.Teachers at this school are effective.The teachers form a tight community that truly care for and advocate for each child at the school. They are in constant communication with each other about each child. They are the real magic at the school.The current head of school, Alan, has tremendous experience, is very well respected by his peers and looks at his role as one of leadership and collaboration between himself, the teachers, the parents, the board of trustees and the students.This school develops strong character in its students, like integrity, compassion and respect.This is the main reason we selected this school. Their stated mission and practice is played out in real life at the school.
- Posted by Parent - Megan
I have two kids at the Valley School and they love it. The quality of the teaching is excellent, the campus is lovely, and the kids are encouraged to treat each other with respect, be curious learners, and become better citizens of the world. There's strong parental involvement and an assortment of afterschool activities. A great place!
- Posted by Parent - karen
This hub page lists over three dozen articles dealing with issues in high school such as academics and discipline.
Seemingly never-ending school shootings prompted me to find out whether private schools were safer than public schools. Some answers and opinions on the matter here.
We look at ways in which your small to medium-sized private school can use social media to make families past, present, and future aware of your school.