Bright Water Waldorf School
5.00 (1 review)
Play is the heart of the Waldorf kindergarten. Through imaginative free play children develop social skills and the capacity for creative thinking and problem solving. Free play is balanced with more structured activities such as watercolor painting, handwork, seasonal crafts, and movement. Nature walks to Volunteer Park give children the opportunity to follow the changing seasons
Waldorf teachers integrate an artistic sense of wonder and beauty into all subjects. By combining handwork, art, music, and movement with the study of science, mathematics, literature, and history, students learn that there are many different ways to see and understand the world. The Waldorf curriculum immerses students in image, sound, and movement. This strengthens imaginative powers at every level.
Beginning in the early childhood classes, circle time and group songs connect the children with rhythm, melody, and pitch. Students rise into the early grades with flute and lyre playing. Formal subject classes for music instruction start in the fourth grade with Strings. In middle school students venture into more complex arrangements and play together in ensembles.
- Bright Water Waldorf School was founded in 1998 out of a desire for greater access to Waldorf education in Seattle.
- Waldorf education is based on a deep understanding of the needs of the growing child and the maturing adolescent.
- Through a rich curriculum and innovative teaching methods, Waldorf education addresses the whole child, working to develop clarity in thought, balance in feeling and initiative in action.
- Our students receive much individual attention and guidance. Faculty members work closely with students, helping them to learn academic discipline and responsibility and teaching them to work independently.
- The social life of our school is lively and warm, and students thrive in a caring community of teachers and peers.
- The inherent security they experience in a Waldorf school enables students to look to the future with confidence; the bonds they form often last for a life time.
- Bright Water Waldorf School offers Preschool through Grade Eight and Parent and Toddler classes.
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Association of Waldorf Schools of North America|
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Waldorf Early Childhood Association of North America
NWAIS (Northwest Association of Independent Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Total Students||184 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 27%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||16 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||12:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition ranges from $7450 to $17,450 for the 2017-18 school year.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$40|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||David Bergler|
|Total Sports Offered||5 sports|
|Sports||Archery, Basketball, Cross Country, Ultimate Frisbee, VolleyballArchery, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Ultimate Frisbee,
- Bright Water School was founded in 1998 out of a desire for greater access to Waldorf education in Seattle. Waldorf education is based on a deep understanding of the needs of the growing child and the maturing adolescent. Through a rich curriculum and innovative teaching methods, Waldorf education addresses the whole child, working to develop clarity in thought, balance in feeling and initiative in action. Our students receive much individual attention and guidance. Faculty members work closely with students, helping them to learn academic discipline and responsibility and teaching them to work independently. The social life of our school is lively and warm, and students thrive in a caring community of teachers and peers. The inherent security they experience in a Waldorf school enables students to look to the future with confidence; the bonds they form often last for a life time. Bright Water School offers Preschool through Grade Eight and two Parent and Toddler classes.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- SeattleGrades: NS-5 | 165 students
620 - 20th Ave South
Seattle, WA 98144
- SeattleGrades: PK-5 | 246 students
2227 10th Avenue E
Seattle, WA 98102
- SeattleGrades: K-12 | 657 students
3400 E Harrison Street
Seattle, WA 98112
- SeattleGrades: PK-5 | 223 students
3611 E Denny Way
Seattle, WA 98122
- SeattleGrades: NS-8 | 477 students
15201 Meridian Avenue N
Seattle, WA 98133
As a parent observing my children, I`ve had the moment that a lot of Waldorf parents have had where we`ve seen the magic. The interactions between the teacher and the students, and student to student, that are informed with respect, affection and tolerance. One senses a harmonious family-living, learning, and working together, and much enjoying itself in the process. Nimble minds and joyful hearts! That`s what comes to mind when I describe the children at BWWS. If they don`t know the answer, they are very comfortable in a personal belief that they will eventually figure it out. They feel their bodies can climb any tree, and that their hands can create whatever they put their minds to. When the weight of the wrong pressure at the wrong time is lifted, the real child is able to emerge and flourish. I`ve over heard one of the teachers say-"they aren`t afraid of a blank piece of paper!" You can see it when you look at their faces.The children are happy and fulfilled and inspired as they learn to read and act to music, learn to speak Japanese and Spanish, learn to play a string instrument and brass, learn to enjoy modern history and the renaissance, and learn artful woodworking and embroidery. Waldorf education rigor is gradual as they master cursive writing and creation of their own textbooks. My daughter's stellar K teacher understood what a 4,5 & 6 year old world should be-listening to magical stories with puppet shows, building forts, chopping vegetables for the soup pot, setting tables and pouring tea, dancing and singing with joy. She was learning to work with her hands by sculpting with clay, threading with yarn, painting with water colors, and building structures with wood. Guided by an extremely skilled Waldorf teacher, my daughter was not only washing linens and manipulating beeswax but stopping to smell the roses and witnessing a bird building its nest as her K family got to know every nook of Volunteer park. Total bliss! The invaluable teachers know that what they are doing transcends conventional educational processes, as they beautifully model the Steiner philosophy of schooling the head, hands and heart. This holistic and developmentally appropriate approach provides an exceptional educational experience that not only means so much to all of the families on a daily basis, but becomes a part of who our children are for the rest of their lives. --Grateful Parent
- Posted by Parent - Grateful Parent
October 18, 2017
The Seattle area is home to many fine private schools as well as to major companies such as Microsoft, Boeing and Starbucks.
September 30, 2017
Scandals in private school are bound to raise questions for those of us thinking about sending our children to private school. Regardless of how sensational these scandals may appear, they are actually few and far between.
September 29, 2017
Parents have many reasons for deciding to take their children out of public school and enrolling them in private school. This circumstance is something which can happen at any stage of your child's education.