The Valley School
Our Mission At The Valley School, we ignite children's natural passion for learning. Our students develop an academic foundation and become joyful learners through playful work, purposeful play, and the practice of community. Our Values Collaboration
Respect for individuality Kindness Creativity Equity and Inclusion Childhood
- Top Ranked WA School
- Grades: Prekindergarten-5
- Students: 114 students
- Yearly Tuition: $28,585
- Acceptance rate: 55%
- Average class size: 16 students
- Application Deadline: Jan. 13 / rolling
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 28%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
Average Class Size
List of Courses Offered
Classroom Dress Code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
Jan. 13 / rolling
Yearly Tuition Cost
% on Financial Aid
Average Financial Aid Grant
National avg.: 85%
Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.
Club or Organization:
Chess, Cross Country, Mandarin, Yoga
Chess, Cross Country, Mandarin, Yoga
- The Valley School, a non-profit educational institution, was founded in 1985 by Patricia Overy and is fully accredited by the State of Washington. Within 10 years the school expanded from a one-room preschool of 18 children to a complete elementary school of 100 children. The campus, located in the Madison Valley neighborhood of Seattle, occupies eight city lots with a large 20,000 sq. ft. playground connecting them. Care has always been taken to preserve and enhance the outdoor play spaces for children. Enrollment is currently approximately 110 children from pre-kindergarten through fifth grade, a size that supports the child-centered learning environment.
Profile last updated: 07/20/2021
We are so thankful to be a part of the amazing community at the Valley School. The families, teachers, administration and parents make a really special community. This school has an effective approach to homework.Homework is assigned beginning in 2-3rd grade and is based on each child's needs. This is an appropriate approach to homework that also preserves time for family time reading, talking and playing together while giving kids time to practice homework that will inevitably be routine in middle school.Teachers at this school are effective.The teachers form a tight community that truly care for and advocate for each child at the school. They are in constant communication with each other about each child. They are the real magic at the school.The current head of school, Alan, has tremendous experience, is very well respected by his peers and looks at his role as one of leadership and collaboration between himself, the teachers, the parents, the board of trustees and the students.This school develops strong character in its students, like integrity, compassion and respect.This is the main reason we selected this school. Their stated mission and practice is played out in real life at the school.
I have two kids at the Valley School and they love it. The quality of the teaching is excellent, the campus is lovely, and the kids are encouraged to treat each other with respect, be curious learners, and become better citizens of the world. There's strong parental involvement and an assortment of afterschool activities. A great place!
Endorse The Valley School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
Books Set In Private Schools
Enjoy a range of subject matter from recollections to murder mysteries, all set in private schools here at home and abroad.
Keep Ransomware Out of Your School
Small organizations like private schools are just as vulnerable to ransomware attacks as large organizations are. Here's how to deal with ransomware in your school.
Endow A Teaching Position
Endowing a teaching position accomplishes many things for the private school that gave you the foundation for your adult life.