The Woods Academy
5.00 (2 reviews)
- The Woods Academy is an inclusive Catholic community preparing boys and girls to lead lives of significance.
- The Woods Academy is where children come to discover their talents, grow in their faith, challenge themselves, and foster a strong desire to lead lives of significance.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)
American Montessori Society (AMS)
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Other school association(s)
Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||320 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 33%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||32 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||10:1
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||15 students|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 17|
|Tuition Notes||2016-2017 - Half Day Three year old or Four year old - $12,905; Full Day Three year old - $17,280; Full Day Four year old - $18,440; Full Day Five year old - $20,925; Grades 1-4 - $20,925; Grades 5-8 - $22,150|
|Admissions Director||Molly McNamara|
|Total Sports Offered||7 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, TennisBaseball, Basketball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||6 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Art Club, Chess Club, Chorus, Drama, Flute Ensemble, Robotics Teams Art Club, Chess Club, Chorus, Drama, Flute Ensemble, Robotics Teams,|
- The Woods Academy is an inclusive Catholic community preparing boys and girls to lead lives of significance. Our academic program begins with Primary Montessori for students ages 3 6. It is a balanced and integrated curriculum in a classroom whose materials are beautiful, precise, and developmentally appropriate. Lessons are given individually. After Montessori we transition to a more "traditional" environment for our students in Grades 1 -8 that is filled with innovative and hands on opportunities; ways for children to truly understand what we are teaching. Our full time Reading Specialist and Math Resource teacher are in the classrooms working side by side with our teachers and our children, helping them develop the foundational skills they need to be successful. We prepare all students for the intellectual and social challenges at public, independent, and Catholic high schools. Our comprehensive high school placement program places nearly 100% of our students into their first choice high school. Outside of our strong academic program our children are exposed to a fine arts program, music classes that teach everything from drums of the world to classical guitar, technology that includes robotics and programming and coding, physical education classes twice a week in our state of the art gym or on our playing fields, and a library that encourages everyone to pick up a book and read. We seek to provide our students with an atmosphere that develops a lifelong love of learning by exposing them to a well-rounded curriculum that will develop their critical thinking and problem solving skills, not only for school but for life. The Woods Academy is where children come to discover their talents, grow in their faith, challenge themselves, and foster a strong desire to lead lives of significance.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
BethesdaGrades: PK-8 | 480 students
8821 River Road
Bethesda, MD 20817
WashingtonGrades: K-12 | 650 students
3000 Cathedral Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20008
Garrett ParkGrades: K-8 | 196 students
Po Box 249
Garrett Park, MD 20896
BethesdaGrades: PK-12 | 1101 students
5100 Edgemoor Lane
Bethesda, MD 20814
BethesdaGrades: NS-12 | 700 students
9101 Rockville Pike
Bethesda, MD 20814
Woods has everything we wanted for our daughter: small classroom size; dedicated, caring teachers and staff; strong academics; an advanced foreign language program; and an amazing arts program. Six years in, we couldn't be happier. We''ll be so proud when our daughter graduates from eighth grade with the class of 2018.
- Posted by Parent - twoma
Great caring faculty. Wonderful kind student body.
- Posted by Teacher - alisb
July 20, 2017
July 12, 2017
Here are five facts about Montessori schools to bear in mind when exploring preschools and primary schools for your child.
July 12, 2017
What are the advantages and/or disadvantages of a for profit versus a not for profit school? Is one kind of school better than the other?