5.00 (1 review)
Tel: (301) 365-2595
- Norwood`s child-centered approach education and its very intentional emphasis on being a happy place of learning create an environment where each individual child is loved, nurtured, challenged, and truly known.
- As a result, children flourish at Norwood. They love learning; they are creative and critical thinkers.
- They are confident in who they are, and they feel safe taking risks.
- They are kind and caring people, who, fueled by our motto, How your lead your life matters, make helping others a priority in their lives.
- At the end of their eighth-grade year, our graduates leave Norwood exceptionally well prepared for high school and empowered to make positive contributions to our world.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||456 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 32%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||68 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Nice school clothes; no jeans or t-shirts)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 13|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$28,820|
|Tuition Notes||K $28,820 plus $75 Parents Association fee; grades 1-2 $30,440 plus $75 Parents Association fee; grades 3-4 $31,880 plus $75 Parents Association fee; grades 5-8 grades $34.470 plus $75 Parents Association fee and $1,150 lunch fee.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$21,000|
|Admissions Director||Mimi Mulligan|
|Admissions Associate||Janet McDermott|
|Total Sports Offered||15 sports|
|Sports||Archery, Baseball, Basketball, Climbing, Cross Country, Dance, Field Hockey, Kayaking, Lacrosse, Rock Climbing, Soccer, Softball, Track and Field, Volleyball, Winter TrackArchery, Baseball,|
Cross Country, Dance,
Field Hockey, Kayaking,
Lacrosse, Rock Climbing,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||15 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
& Diversity (SUCCEED), Book Clubs, Competitive Math Teams, Debate Team, Ethnicity, GLOW, Math Clubs, Model UN, SEEDling, Student Ambassadors, Student Council, Students Seeking Understanding & Celebrating Culture, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Suzuki Strings, Theatrical Productions
- At the core of Norwood are more than 60 years of proven excellence in educating and preparing children for the future. We believe that today`s students must be exposed to a comprehensive view of the world and be conversant with different cultures. Our students are guided to develop important 21st century skills: to think critically, creatively, collaboratively, and compassionately with a global perspective. We also believe that world languages, art, music, physical education, athletics should never be considered extracurricular subjects. Each is a vibrant program that is as much a part of the Norwood experience as other subjects. Our commitment is to nurturing the whole child and helping children discover their passions.
- Norwood teachers are highly skilled at blending the very best of traditional and innovative teaching methods to inspire analytical and critical thinking, strong oral and written communication, independent thinking, and leadership in teamwork. Lower school teachers understand the careful balance of nurture and challenge; middle school teachers provide the freedom and structure adolescents need to flourish. Norwood is an intentionally happy place where children feel safe, respected, valued, and loved. We are committed to being a diverse and inclusive community, and our goal is for every child to leave at the end of the day excited to return the next morning. We celebrate children being children whether at work or at play.
- How you lead your matters-that`s Norwood`s motto. Character and spiritual education are everywhere in the classroom, the playground, and the athletic field. We are as committed to nurturing matters of the mind and matters of the heart in each and every child. And at the end of their Norwood journey, our students are fully prepared for the next step in their education. Admission directors at some of the most selective secondary schools have described our students as: critical thinkers, curious learners, leaders, participants, good school citizens, well-mannered, well-balanced, impressive young people, and intrinsically kind and caring.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Bethesda Grades: PK-12 | 1101 students
5100 Edgemoor Lane
Bethesda, MD 20814
(202) 537-6900 4.3 PK-12
- Bethesda Grades: NS-8 | 195 students
7500 Pearl Street
Bethesda, MD 20814
(301) 654-5376 4.8 NS-8
My daughter attended Norwood from K-8 and had a superb experience. At each grade, Norwood offers developmentally appropriate and wonderfully diverse opportunities for the kids to stretch themselves as leaders, public speakers, artists, athletes, performers, community members, scientists, writers, and citizens of the world. My daughter left Norwood with a strong moral compass and was able to thrive at a top academic high school.
- Posted by Parent - Norwood Mom
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?
Sending your child to a single-sex school is one of several options you have when it comes to private schools.
This article aims to show you where to look for information about school reopening protocols, school reopening communications, schools that have closed, and schools with COVID-19 cases, among other COVID-19 related issues.