German International School Washington Dc
5.00 (1 review)
Tel: (301) 767-3807
The German International School Washington D.C. is a private, co-educational institution with more than 500 students in preschool through 12th grade, set on a quiet campus in Potomac, Md. Representing more than 20 different nationalities, our student body is truly international, united by a shared interest in German language and culture.
The only full-time German day school in Washington, we offer rigorous academics in a warm, multicultural setting. Graduates receive the globally recognized German International Abitur (DIA) as well as a high-school diploma from the state of Maryland.
We have two academic focus areas: foreign languages and science.
Students gain fluency in at least two languages and achieve mastery of biology, chemistry, and physics. Our teachers prize critical inquiry, teaching students how-not what-to think.
The German International School is accredited by the German Ministry of Education and approved by Maryland Department of Education.
German International School Washington Dc places among the top 20% of private schools in Maryland for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
- Student Body Largest student body
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other school association(s)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||558 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 32%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||75 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||18 students|
|Number of AP Courses||9 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Biology, Calculus AB, Chemistry, English Language and Composition, English Literature and Composition, French Language and Culture, German Language and Culture, Physics B, Spanish Language|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$26,510|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition listed is for Grades 10-12. Rates depend on the child's age and grade. Financial aid is available.|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Jeannette A. Dubrey|
|Total Sports Offered||7 sports|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Basketball, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballAlpine Skiing, Basketball,|
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||7 extracurriculars|
Club or Organization:
Choir, Drama Club, Model UN, Science, Yearbook
- The German International School Washington is an independent pre-kindergarten through 12th grade school of more than 500 students.
- We deliver a rigorous bicultural curriculum leading to the German International Abitur (DIA) and the U.S. High School Diploma.
- Our graduates leave our school with a solid preparation for university work and beyond and attend prestigious international, American and German higher education institutions. Dedicated to the development of globally-minded students, fostering independence, creativity and critical thinking, the German International School places strong emphasis on foreign languages and natural sciences.
- Knowledge of German is not required for admission through lower Elementary School.
- By 6th grade, students are fluent in German and English, and on their way to mastering a third language.
- Our science program starts in 4th grade and our teachers are committed to inspiring all students to apply scientific methods.
The German School is one of over 140 recognized German Schools Abroad worldwide, and approved by the Maryland State Department of Education.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Bethesda Grades: PK-12 | 1089 students
9600 Forest Road
Bethesda, MD 20814
(301) 530-8260 3.4 PK-12
- Washington Grades: PK-12 | 372 students
2001 Wisconsin Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20007
(202) 829-3700 8.7 PK-12
- Potomac Grades: K-12 | 837 students
10601 Falls Rd
Potomac, MD 20854
(301) 299-8500 1.8 K-12
Both our children are at the preschool (2 and 4 years old). We are very happy at the school and would like our children to continue at the school through high school. The teachers are extremely well qualified and caring. We also like the emphasis on science, foreign language acquisition and an overall international education.
- Posted by Parent - alope
Choosing a private school is a process with many parts to it. It also takes 18-24 months to complete. This collection of articles deals with the first part of the process in which you begin to look at private schools and what they offer.
Marketing the small private school can be done affordably and effectively. We suggest five easy steps to make that happen.
Solid parent-teacher relationships have always been an important part of K-12 education. During this interminable pandemic, parent-teacher relationships have become even more important.