- Thomas Jefferson School is a coeducational boarding and day school for grades seven through twelve.
- We offer a core classical curriculum to students that come from St. Louis, all over the United States, and all over the world.
- We are a community of diverse minds linked by a shared interest in learning.
- The mission of Thomas Jefferson School is to give its students the strongest possible academic background, responsibility for their own learning, a concern for other people, and the resources to live happily as adults and become active contributors to society.
- We recognize the profound impact of education upon the student's intellect and values.
- We will balance the challenges posed by the school's high standards for academic, personal, and social development with support from a nurturing community.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
State or regional independent school association
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
Other school association(s)
|Grades Offered||Grades 7-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Differs based on students|
|Total Students||80 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 19%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||13 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||14 students|
|Number of AP Courses||11 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Average SAT score||1440|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Dec. 15 / Feb. 15 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$22,750|
|Tuition Notes||Day students 22750 5 day boarders37750 7day boarders 39500|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Admissions Director||Stephen Held|
- Thomas Jefferson School (TJ) offers an unparalleled college-preparatory curriculum in a close-knit, supportive academic community. For nearly 70 years TJ’s liberal arts approach has been a launching pad for college and professional success. College preparation is our speciality: all of our graduates move on to four-year colleges and universities across the nation and abroad. Average SAT scores consistently position TJ among the world’s top boarding schools. With a daily schedule of concise morning classes and a student teacher ratio of 7:1, students enjoy focused individual attention with faculty, advisors and staff. Students develop their academic talents as well as their autonomy. Most Junior students take two AP courses while Seniors take all AP coursework in their final year. Day students share dorm space on a picturesque 20 acre campus with boarding students from 26 St. Louis area zip codes, eight states and 11 countries. Students live and learn amidst faculty members and resident assistants in cottages throughout the grounds. The Charles Merrill building serves as the hub of activity housing classrooms and the dining room. Additional campus facilities offer access to athletics and the fine arts. Five-day boarding for regional families is a popular option. Nearly 40% of TJ’s families receive financial assistance. As a current TJ student has said “TJ is more than a school. TJ has given me my voice.”
Profile last updated: 08/17/2015
People that viewed Thomas Jefferson School also viewed these schools: John Burroughs School, Westtown School, The Stony Brook School, Asheville School and Mary Institute and St. Louis Country Day School (MICDS).
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Saint LouisGrades: 7-12 | 600 students
755 S Price Road
Saint Louis, MO 63124
West ChesterGrades: PK-12 | 632 students
975 Westtown Road
West Chester, PA 19382
Stony BrookGrades: 7-12 | 370 students
1 Chapman Parkway
Stony Brook, NY 11790
AshevilleGrades: 9-12 | 288 students
360 Asheville School Road
Asheville, NC 28806
Saint LouisGrades: PK-12 | 1240 students
101 N Warson Road
Saint Louis, MO 63124