John Burroughs School
- Burroughs is a college preparatory school offering a core curriculum that provides a broad base of knowledge and skills in the humanities; STEM; the arts; athletics, health and wellness; global awareness and cultural competency; and service and sustainability. A world-class faculty (81 percent hold advanced degrees) teaches a challenging curriculum in small classes (average size is 13).
- Faculty average 19 years teaching experience and establish meaningful relationships with our students.
- Our size is critical having around 105 students per grade allows our students to be well known and well supported. Students hail from nearly 60 ZIP codes from throughout the St. Louis metropolitan area and a broad range of racial, ethnic, religious and socio-economic backgrounds.
- They are encouraged to be active in the classroom with their heads up, eyes open and minds engaged.
- In classes, which are generally run seminar style, students learn to be discerning readers, critical thinkers, articulate communicators and analytical problem solvers.
- The Burroughs experience is distinguished by a mix of informality, traditions (such as morning assembly and family-style lunch) and a culture that puts a premium on ethics, inclusivity, student government, technology and international experiences.
- Admission is based on school records, recommendations, an entrance exam and an interview.
- Personal qualities and character are a major consideration. Financial aid is available to those who need assistance with tuition.
John Burroughs School places among the top 20% of private schools in Missouri for:
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
State or regional independent school association
|Grades Offered||Grades 7-12|
|Total Students||618 students|
|Student Body Type||n/a|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 16%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||90 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||13 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Average SAT score||1450|
|Average ACT score||32|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(no dress code)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 16|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$27,540|
|Tuition Notes||no charge for before/after care & lunch is also included|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Caroline G. LaVigne|
|Total Sports Offered||16 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Water Polo, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Dance,
Field Hockey, Football,
Golf, Ice Hockey,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
Water Polo, Wrestling,
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Saint Louis Grades: PK-12 | 527 students
3020 North Ballas Road
Saint Louis, MO 63131
(314)625-9103 4.2 PK-12
- Saint Louis Grades: PK-12 | 522 students
801 S. Spoede Rd.
Saint Louis, MO 63131
(314)432-2021 2.7 PK-12
- Chesterfield Grades: 7-12 | 995 students
800 Maryville Centre Dr
Chesterfield, MO 63017
(314)997-2900 7.1 7-12
- Saint Louis Grades: 6-12 | 444 students
175 S Mason Rd
Saint Louis, MO 63141
(314)434-5141 6.2 6-12
- Saint Louis Grades: 9-12 | 351 students
2788 Normandy Dr
Saint Louis, MO 63121
(314)725-5850 4.9 9-12