5.00 (3 reviews)
- For more than a century, Community School has been a place to let children`s gifts flourish in an environment of active, experiential learning.
- Seasoned faculty engage students with a challenging curriculum integrating academics, the arts, physical education and interpersonal skills.
- Community students are responsible, caring, vibrant people who learn how to work with and lead others.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association for the Education of Young Children|
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Independent Schools Association of the Central States
Educational Records Bureau
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-6|
|Total Students||338 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 19%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||52 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||20 students|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 2|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$18,200|
|Tuition Notes||Financial aid is available.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Dana Saulsberry|
|Admissions Associate||Eve Rudolph|
|Endowment Size||12.8 million|
|Total Sports Offered||2 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross CountryBasketball, Cross Country,|
- Community School sets the standard for academic excellence among St. Louis-area elementary schools. We balance intellectual challenge and nurturing support, allowing each child's strengths to shine. Our small, child-focused classrooms reach children where they are. With a 7:1 student-teacher ratio, each student gets the personalized help and encouragement he or she needs to thrive.Early exploration is key to developing a thorough understanding of complex subjects. Our approach to learning is hands on. Students examine ideas and topics up close, pushing beyond rote memorization.Test scores validate our hands-on educational philosophy. Year after year, Community students score among the highest in the nation on standardized tests-averaging 40-50% above national norms, 7-8% above gifted surburban public students, and 5-6% above other independent schools.
- People that viewed Community School also viewed these schools: Mary Institute and St. Louis Country Day School (MICDS), Rohan Woods School, Rossman School, Chesterfield Day School and St. Louis Christian Academy.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Saint LouisGrades: PK-12 | 1225 students
101 N Warson Road
Saint Louis, MO 63124
- Saint LouisGrades: NS-6 | 111 students
1515 Bennett Ave
Saint Louis, MO 63122
- Saint LouisGrades: PK-6 | 230 students
12660 Conway Road
Saint Louis, MO 63141
- ChesterfieldGrades: PK-6 | 150 students
1100 White Road
Chesterfield, MO 63017
- Saint LouisGrades: PK-12 | 111 students
3145 Lafayette Ave
Saint Louis, MO 63104
We toured several independent schools in the area, but immediately after our tour at Community School, we knew that if our son was admitted, Community was where we would send him. Year after year, our decision is validated by dedicated, inspiring teachers who make every effort to meet his learning needs. For example, in junior kindergarten, his teacher recognized that he was already reading. She pulled him during nap time (since he was no longer napping) and worked with him independently on reading comprehension. Currently, science is one of his strengths. Before the unit, his teacher gives him a pretest to understand his prior knowledge of the subject. While most of the students were learning about force and motion concepts, he was provided with higher level independent extension activities regarding Isaac Newton, Albert Einstein, relativity, inertia... and then he was asked to report back to the class about what he had learned. In math, he is also given the opportunity for extension learning. He can choose to bring home the textbook, review the upcoming chapter, and test to qualify for extension activities. Our son also has areas of weakness and needs extra help with written language skills. These needs are being addressed well by his teachers through accommodations and interventions. Community School does a fabulous job differentiating instruction for all learners. It is a place where committed, enthusiastic teachers truly love teaching and where our son truly loves learning.
- Posted by Parent - Kathleen
Community School's teachers and leadership team have created a warm and engaging learning environment. My wife and I are extremely happy that we selected CS for our children. Bob Cooke, in his 2nd year as Head of School, has added new energy and vision that will make the school even better in the future.
- Posted by Parent - Jeremy
Community School is a special place. The teachers do a wonderful job of working in small groups with the kids so that they truly understand each child's strengths and challenges. Additionally, they encourage the students to take risks and find something that they feel passionate about, then push them to pursue that interest. My oldest son is proud that the school trusts him to choose his own projects in wood shop or sign a contract for independent work in math. For my daughter, Community will always be the place that encourage her not only to be comfortable in front of an audience, but to love performing on a stage.My children head out the door excited for school every single day.
- Posted by Parent - BDA
October 18, 2017
The Seattle area is home to many fine private schools as well as to major companies such as Microsoft, Boeing and Starbucks.
September 30, 2017
Scandals in private school are bound to raise questions for those of us thinking about sending our children to private school. Regardless of how sensational these scandals may appear, they are actually few and far between.
September 29, 2017
Parents have many reasons for deciding to take their children out of public school and enrolling them in private school. This circumstance is something which can happen at any stage of your child's education.