5.00 (6 reviews)
- For more than a century, Community School has been a place to let children`s gifts flourish in an environment of active, experiential learning.
- Seasoned faculty engage students with a challenging curriculum integrating academics, the arts, physical education and interpersonal skills.
- Community students are responsible, caring, vibrant people who learn how to work with and lead others.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association for the Education of Young Children|
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Independent Schools Association of the Central States (ISACS)
Educational Records Bureau
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-6|
|Total Students||340 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 16%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||53 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||20 students|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 31|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$19,975|
|Tuition Notes||Financial aid is available.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Dana Saulsberry|
|Admissions Associate||Eve Rudolph|
|Endowment Size||$14.1 million|
|Total Sports Offered||3 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Track and FieldBasketball, Cross Country,|
Track and Field
- Community School sets the standard for academic excellence among St. Louis-area elementary schools. We balance intellectual challenge and nurturing support, allowing each child's strengths to shine. Our small, child-focused classrooms reach children where they are. With a 7:1 student-teacher ratio, each student gets the personalized help and encouragement he or she needs to thrive.Early exploration is key to developing a thorough understanding of complex subjects. Our approach to learning is hands on. Students examine ideas and topics up close, pushing beyond rote memorization.Test scores validate our hands-on educational philosophy. Year after year, Community students score among the highest in the nation on standardized tests-averaging 42% above national norms, 11% above gifted surburban public students, and 6% above other independent schools.
Profile last updated:
- People that viewed Community School also viewed these schools: MICDS (Mary Institute and St. Louis Country Day School), Rohan Woods School, Agape' Academy & Child Development Center, Andrews Academy and The College School.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Saint Louis Grades: PK-12 | 1245 students
101 N Warson Road
Saint Louis, MO 63124
(314)995-7367 2.2 PK-12
- Saint Louis Grades: PK-2 | 187 students
7400 Olive Blvd
Saint Louis, MO 63130
(314)725-5262 2.6 PK-2
- Saint Louis Grades: PK-6 | 115 students
888 North Mason Road
Saint Louis, MO 63141
(314)878-1883 6.1 PK-6
Community School has been a comprehensive balance between Mind, Body and Spirit. Each day our children jump out of the car excited to learn what the day will bring. We are thrilled with their curriculum and overall positive atmosphere. We are so happy with all the electives our children are offered. Some of our children`s favorites are woodshop and drama. The kids love to explore the pond during a special science project day too! What an amazing experience we have had so far.
- Posted by Parent - Parents of 2nd and 5th grader
After touring 9 (yes, 9) independent schools in the St. Louis area, Community School was hands down the best school for our daughter. They truly "actively" value the holistic growth of a child (academically, socially, mentally, and their unique personalities and talents). They are personable and take the time to get to know families. They also acknowledge that there are always areas in which they can improve so they often seek input/opportunities to improve for the sake of students, families and the community. And their staff is HAPPY. During my many tours, I wanted to know how the staff was treated/evaluated/valued. The staff genuinely seemed happy and that hasn't changed over the years we have been there.
- Posted by Parent - Deanna
Community School has been the best possible choice for our family. We could not be happier. Every morning, Head of School, Bob Cooke, greets each child with a handshake as they enter school. I love this tradition, as it truly exemplifies the nurturing aspect of the school. In this simple gesture, each child is recognized daily as a respected and important individual within the entire community my children are known by name by all the children, teachers, and administrators. The academics are fantastic, and the learning extends so much further than the classroom. My favorite part of the curriculum is the emphasis on public speaking. It`s amazing to hear the nursery students (age 3!) confidently share their birthdays to the entire lunch room during their birthday months. For dual-working families, like mine, the options for extended day and after-school programs are abundant and appreciated. Community School gets my vote as the top elementary school in St. Louis.
- Posted by Parent - Mom of two girls (5 & 7)
We toured several independent schools in the area, but immediately after our tour at Community School, we knew that if our son was admitted, Community was where we would send him. Year after year, our decision is validated by dedicated, inspiring teachers who make every effort to meet his learning needs. For example, in junior kindergarten, his teacher recognized that he was already reading. She pulled him during nap time (since he was no longer napping) and worked with him independently on reading comprehension. Currently, science is one of his strengths. Before the unit, his teacher gives him a pretest to understand his prior knowledge of the subject. While most of the students were learning about force and motion concepts, he was provided with higher level independent extension activities regarding Isaac Newton, Albert Einstein, relativity, inertia... and then he was asked to report back to the class about what he had learned. In math, he is also given the opportunity for extension learning. He can choose to bring home the textbook, review the upcoming chapter, and test to qualify for extension activities. Our son also has areas of weakness and needs extra help with written language skills. These needs are being addressed well by his teachers through accommodations and interventions. Community School does a fabulous job differentiating instruction for all learners. It is a place where committed, enthusiastic teachers truly love teaching and where our son truly loves learning.
- Posted by Parent - Kathleen
Community School's teachers and leadership team have created a warm and engaging learning environment. My wife and I are extremely happy that we selected CS for our children. Bob Cooke, in his 2nd year as Head of School, has added new energy and vision that will make the school even better in the future.
- Posted by Parent - Jeremy
Community School is a special place. The teachers do a wonderful job of working in small groups with the kids so that they truly understand each child's strengths and challenges. Additionally, they encourage the students to take risks and find something that they feel passionate about, then push them to pursue that interest. My oldest son is proud that the school trusts him to choose his own projects in wood shop or sign a contract for independent work in math. For my daughter, Community will always be the place that encourage her not only to be comfortable in front of an audience, but to love performing on a stage.My children head out the door excited for school every single day.
- Posted by Parent - BDA
This article aggregates all the articles I have written about running a small private school. Use it as a handbook and a reminder of things you should look at from time to time.
Ever wish you could pick the brain of A+ students? Well, we did it for you — we spoke with dozens of students and educators to find out their secrets for success.
We take a detailed look at the three popular early childhood methods to help you determine which one best suits your needs and requirements.