5.00 (3 reviews)
- For more than a century, Community School has been a place to let children`s gifts flourish in an environment of active, experiential learning.
- Seasoned faculty engage students with a challenging curriculum integrating academics, the arts, physical education and interpersonal skills.
- Community students are responsible, caring, vibrant people who learn how to work with and lead others.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association for the Education of Young Children|
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Independent Schools Association of the Central States
Educational Records Bureau
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-6|
|Total Students||338 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 19%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||52 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||20 students|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 2|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$18,200|
|Tuition Notes||Financial aid is available.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Dana Saulsberry|
|Admissions Associate||Eve Rudolph|
|Endowment Size||$12.8 million|
|Total Sports Offered||2 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross CountryBasketball, Cross Country,|
- Community School sets the standard for academic excellence among St. Louis-area elementary schools. We balance intellectual challenge and nurturing support, allowing each child's strengths to shine. Our small, child-focused classrooms reach children where they are. With a 7:1 student-teacher ratio, each student gets the personalized help and encouragement he or she needs to thrive.Early exploration is key to developing a thorough understanding of complex subjects. Our approach to learning is hands on. Students examine ideas and topics up close, pushing beyond rote memorization.Test scores validate our hands-on educational philosophy. Year after year, Community students score among the highest in the nation on standardized tests-averaging 40-50% above national norms, 7-8% above gifted surburban public students, and 5-6% above other independent schools.
- People that viewed Community School also viewed these schools: Rohan Woods School, Mary Institute and St. Louis Country Day School (MICDS), The College School, Logos School and Asa Christian Academy.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Saint LouisGrades: NS-6 | 111 students
1515 Bennett Ave
Saint Louis, MO 63122
- Saint LouisGrades: PK-12 | 1225 students
101 N Warson Road
Saint Louis, MO 63124
- Saint LouisGrades: PK-8 | 255 students
7825 Big Bend Blvd.
Saint Louis, MO 63119
- Saint LouisGrades: 6-12 | 121 students
9137 Old Bonhomme Rd
Saint Louis, MO 63132
- HazelwoodGrades: PK-6 | 91 students
8390 Latty Ave
Hazelwood, MO 63042
We toured several independent schools in the area, but immediately after our tour at Community School, we knew that if our son was admitted, Community was where we would send him. Year after year, our decision is validated by dedicated, inspiring teachers who make every effort to meet his learning needs. For example, in junior kindergarten, his teacher recognized that he was already reading. She pulled him during nap time (since he was no longer napping) and worked with him independently on reading comprehension. Currently, science is one of his strengths. Before the unit, his teacher gives him a pretest to understand his prior knowledge of the subject. While most of the students were learning about force and motion concepts, he was provided with higher level independent extension activities regarding Isaac Newton, Albert Einstein, relativity, inertia... and then he was asked to report back to the class about what he had learned. In math, he is also given the opportunity for extension learning. He can choose to bring home the textbook, review the upcoming chapter, and test to qualify for extension activities. Our son also has areas of weakness and needs extra help with written language skills. These needs are being addressed well by his teachers through accommodations and interventions. Community School does a fabulous job differentiating instruction for all learners. It is a place where committed, enthusiastic teachers truly love teaching and where our son truly loves learning.
- Posted by Parent - Kathleen
Community School's teachers and leadership team have created a warm and engaging learning environment. My wife and I are extremely happy that we selected CS for our children. Bob Cooke, in his 2nd year as Head of School, has added new energy and vision that will make the school even better in the future.
- Posted by Parent - Jeremy
Community School is a special place. The teachers do a wonderful job of working in small groups with the kids so that they truly understand each child's strengths and challenges. Additionally, they encourage the students to take risks and find something that they feel passionate about, then push them to pursue that interest. My oldest son is proud that the school trusts him to choose his own projects in wood shop or sign a contract for independent work in math. For my daughter, Community will always be the place that encourage her not only to be comfortable in front of an audience, but to love performing on a stage.My children head out the door excited for school every single day.
- Posted by Parent - BDA
January 23, 2018
What is private school really like? Is there any truth to the rumors you keep hearing? Let's find out.
January 23, 2018
Depending on their family circumstances, our Presidents received a wide range of primary and secondary schooling.
January 23, 2018
A fascinating look at where our first Presidents went to school.