Vail Mountain School
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Association of Colorado Independent Schools (ACIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Total Students||430 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||63 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Number of AP Courses||13 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Computer Science Principles, AP English Literature/Composition, AP Environmental Science, AP Music Theory, AP Physics C: Mechanics, AP Spanish Language & Culture, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art, AP U.S. History, AP World History|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition varies according to grade. Please visit school website for details.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Total Sports Offered||12 sports|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Basketball, Climbing, Cross Country, Fencing, Golf, Lacrosse, Nordic Skiing, Rock Climbing, Soccer, Tennis, VolleyballAlpine Skiing, Basketball,|
Climbing, Cross Country,
Lacrosse, Nordic Skiing,
Rock Climbing, Soccer,
- Vail Mountain School is the only independent, co-educational, college preparatory school for students in kindergarten through twelfth grade in Eagle and Summit Counties. The school is proud of its continued reputation for excellence in education and placing its graduates in college and universities ranked among the top in the country. At each grade level, teachers are acutely aware of the developmental stages and needs of students. Age-appropriate curriculum is designed for each level while maintaining a focus on elements of both academia and character enhancement. Students are encouraged to be independent in their contribution to the well-being of their school, their classmates, and the community. VMS strongly believes that its graduates are prepared to contribute and succeed in an increasingly complex and demanding world. VMS is accredited by the Association of Colorado Independent Schools and a member of the National Association of Independent Schools,
Profile last updated:
Our children look forward to going to Vail Mountain School almost every day! And that is the biggest testament to this schools excellence. They form a close relationship with all of their teachers that really encourage the strengths and fosters the development of each individual child. The electives they are able to choose from in Middle School is broad and boosts their interests. I have seen our children grow into open-minded, independent, community based, caring individuals with the support of VMS.
- Posted by Parent - VMS Parent
Each day, I am amazed by the incredible rapport between teachers and students and the learning that is accomplished as a result. The breadth of program and opportunities available to students leaves me wanting to go back to school every day!
- Posted by Administrator - James Mill
We have three children at VMS - each is very different learners. The school is allowing all three children to blossom and grow in beautiful ways. We highly recommend VMS!
- Posted by Parent - Susanne
As a long-time Vail Valley resident, I have always been impressed by VMS kids who seemed thoughtful, engaged and very comfortable speaking with adults. Since having my own son, I have been very happy with his experiences there ever since he came to the school in kindergarten (he's now in 6th grade). The teachers have been outstanding in treating him as an individual and building his progress academically. It is truly a K-12 family with many cross-age integration activities. He has flourished in the outstanding theater program and embraced team sports through middle school basketball. We look forward to the next six years and feel VMS will fully prepare him for college and independent, productive life.
- Posted by Parent - David Bentley
This hub page lists over three dozen articles dealing with issues in high school such as academics and discipline.
TLTR? There are a couple of private school documents which you need to read.
You cannot rank private schools. We explain why.